Watch’em Sweat!

9 Jan, '05

2006 is oh so close I could almost smell it! Why, You ask? Elections of course! The time to boot out all of the jokers in parliament and hopefully replace them with better people who won’t chase capital away from the island, who will recognise terrorists and call them as such, who won’t object to Nancy Ajram and create riots, who won’t object to staging a play (arabic) because its name has the word “Falujah” in it.

And to back all that up? The Chamber of Commerce and Industry, awakening from a deep slumber shook by Farouq Al-Moayyed put the ante of BD 1 million as cash prizes (arabic) to who they choose to run for parliament with a good economic agenda!

That by itself got our dear MPs to shit bricks, the first of which actually had a heart attack a couple of nights ago and had to be hospitalised. While we wish him a very speedy recovery and Insha’Allah a very long and fruitful life, we will be happy to see the back of him, and his ilk in order to make way for people who care about this country and not use the parliament as their personal pulpit to restrict personal freedoms, and who are not ineffectual fools in the face of continuous government harassment and coercion.

All in all, the past few days especially seem to have been loaded with press releases, posturing, positioning and jostling in a clear indication that the election fever for 2006 has already started…

Let the Games Begin!

Filed in: EntrepreneurshipPolitics

1. ammarlovegod[deleted]1099322617 says:

Watch’em Sweat!

Can’t stop laughing! Your sense of humour!
    I was trying to come up with something evil about the sick man the whole day and you beat me to it!

2. anonymous says:

Watch’em Sweat!

more like the government propaganda machine is in full swing… the parliament by construction is ineffectual regardless of who is in it…have they managed to pass any laws by any chance? isn’t that what a parliament is supposed to do?… lets hope the King carries out some constitutional changes by 2006 so that half the population doesn’t boycott the elections again.

3. anonymous says:

2006

Well I hope that the people have realized what a huge mistake they have done by boycotting
    The elections, although I my self as I have said earlier in my previous posts that I consider the parliament we have in Bahrain a Mickey Mouse parliament with no legitimacy but I would rather encourage the people to vote than to let The fanatics run the show. And not to forget that the regime has started to approve some of the proposals that have been passed by Al Saidi & co.
    From my perspective I consider that by approving some of the laws looks more like a punishment for not participating in the 2002 elections.

Bugs

4. anonymous says:

Re(1): Watch’em Sweat!

No problem Mahmood, I have a list of ones that will do if she isnt free. I fancy Hasna, Asalah, Samira Said, Nawal al Zoghby and a few others! Funny, but when I first got married my wife used to tell me that if I could find another Saudi lady, or Gulf lady, that would allow their daughter to marry an American convert she would let me take a second wife.

After our first trip to the Gulf she changed her mind, seemed that a lot of women thought the idea of moving to America with an American convert and living a western life was not such a bad idea, even as a second wife. My wife had forgot how several of the Khaleeji women at our wedding said “we need more men like your husband.” Its the cultural rubbish that would drive the women to say such a thing. LOL! Especially here, in the USA, where Arab women see that it doesnt have to be so. That is what is so great about us converts, the religion WITHOUT the culture rubbish that some mistake for religion!

Malik

5. anonymous says:

Watch’em Sweat!

malik malik …

now now dear, u dont want to sound so self righteous about what a great husband u are … ;). maybe these arab women were more excited about moving to the states than marrying an american convert …

on a more serious note – i am a big beleiver in mixed marriages. better looking kids, for one. and a much more diverse upbringing. sometimes kids get lost though – it depends on how comfortable the parents are with ‘identity’ ..

JJ

6. anonymous says:

Watch’em Sweat!

The only objection I have to Nancy Ajram is that she isnt my 2nd wife! LOL!

Malik

Re: Watch’em Sweat!

stand in line Malik!

8. anonymous says:

Re: Watch’em Sweat!

I know it has a lot to do with that. I think it also has a lot to do with the cultural norms in the Middle East when it comes to how men treat their wives. I have seen many Arab women, who now live in the USA, refuse to marry Arab men for this very reason. The treatment of wives and women in general is one of the poor sides of Arabic culture.

As to identity, that can be an issue. We have two children, third on the way. Post 9/11 it is very hard to be an Arab youth in the USA. Many Arab youths gravitate away from their ethnic background. Many adopt cultural identities not their own. In the USA this mainly means adopting the African-American “ghetto” culture. It is very odd to see young Arab kids saying to each other “yo my nigga”. But it is common.

Some kids never learn Arabic here. I run into many Arabic kids who cannot speak more than a few words of the language. It often embarrasses them when an American like myself can speak more Arabic than they can. At our house we speak Arabic at home, watch Arabic and American TV, so we dont have those worries. My kids also attend Arabic school here in the DC area as well.

Malik

9. Alireza says:

Who’s the daddy?

Listed below are Bahrain’s political parties – roughly ranked in order of size. Does this seem about right? If anyone’s got any comments or I’ve missed one of them out I’d be interested to know.

1) Al Wefaq National Islamic Action Society (Shia Islamist)
    2) Al Menbar National Islamic Forum (Sunni Islamist – Muslim Brotherhood’s party)
    3) Asala (Salafist)
    4) National Democratic Action (Leftist/Arab Nationalist)
    5) Islamic Bloc (Shia Islamist)
    6) Democratic Bloc (Liberal-Leftist)
    7) Justice and Virtue (Shia Islamist – moderate splinter from Al Wefaq)
    8) National Action Charter Society (Liberal, pro-government)
    9) Al-Wasat Arab Islamic Democratic Association (Nasserist and Sunni Islamist)
    10) Al-Tagamu National Democratic Society (Leftist)
    11) The Islamic Action Society (Shi’i Islamist)
    12) Al-Menbar Democratic Progressive Association (Leftist)
    13) Al-Shura (Consultation) Society (Sunni Islamist)

The fact that there are so many leftists/liberals down the bottom of the list says a lot about the failure of the Kingdom’s progressives to put their disagreements behind them and politically work together – but that’s another story.

Any comments appreciated.