11 Jun, '05

2nd Vlog up, this one was done through the same Canon IXUS 400 mini digital camera, edited on my laptop using Avid’s free FreeDV and encoded into MPEG4 Quicktime using nothing but the FreeDV application.

Let me know if you can/can’t view it.. I’m sure at the end I’ll either revert back to just textual ramblings, or get this “technical challenge” sorted.

Be warned: this clip is crap. It was done as proof of concept and doesn’t have any depth nor any thought was given to it’s execution. It’s just, well, is.

Filed in: General

1. anonymous says:

Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

Careful that you don’t film yourself having a bit of run in with the car in front of you!

2. anonymous says:

Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

How absolutely strange. I can view this 2nd video by clicking on it without any problems and I’m using Quicktime (v. 6.5.2). I couldn’t do that for your previous video. Well, whatever you did this time, don’t change anything 🙂

Laura

p.s. I was the one who made the comment about using Jaguar which can’t install QT7.

3. anonymous says:

works well 4 me go ahead mahmmod

4. anonymous says:

Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

Clarification: The free application Quicktime PLAYER (v.6.5.2), not the actual Quicktime app which I don’t have.

Laura

5. GB says:

Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

I can play this one fine even though I have problems with the first one.

6. anonymous says:

Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

NAUGHTY NAUGHTY NAUGHTY!! – Mahmood seriously that was quite dangerous driving whilst filming yourself on camera! – I liked the way you included those static pictures of the house you went to see.. nobody ever teach you how to L or J-cut clips? *tsk tsk*

7. kategirl says:

Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

This vlog idea is great Mahmood! How about doing a Vlog specifically about al 7ammam, maybe giving us some history/anecdotes about the buildings and streets.

I need to get myself a video camera!

8. AngloGermanicAmerican says:

Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

The cover clip lead me to believe that your were going to take us into the matrix. lol

9. anonymous says:

Re: Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

lol yeah you look like morpheuos.

That traffic light is so awfully designed and if it turns red and you’re in the left lane you’d have to wait for hours . I hate it !

10. anonymous says:

Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

Omg..this is just soooo out of this world!I loved it.
    I second chanad,, it would be really cool if u shoot a documentary about Fareeq ELHamaam.
    I’ve been feeling homesick lately. Seeing bahrain’s bad-designed roads and feeling the heat surrounding u was exactly what I needed!

I really want khoobzz 3ejmi now:(

-Silveroo

11. anonymous says:

Morpheus, another Vblog please! – theyre great! 😀

Re: Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

glad you like ’em guys… they do also help me in getting away if for a little while from politics, religious dogma, and heavier stuff… sort of cleans the palette! 🙂

13. chrisamillion says:

Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

this one works well, especially on the 100mbps internet we have here at college! With the first one, i’m pretty sure that its everyone elses fault, it can’t be my computer! 😉

nice to see Bahrain again….i’ll be back there is about 10 days…in the mean while, exams!

14. anonymous says:

Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

The only problem -which i imagine some others suffer from – is that I read your site at work and any downloads or video content is blocked….so we dont have the benefit of seeing you in action.

Johnster

Re: Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

oh I see. well I don’t see that much of a problem as I don’t think I’ll be posting videos every day, maybe once a week or so.

Re: Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

Damn, I did think that I would be picked up on this. The sound went all awry when I did an L-cut, and that was the fault of Avid’s FreeDV I think, it just didn’t like it. Other than that, the camera does white balance only once, at the time that you press the record button and sticks to it, hence if you turn the camera or the lighting changes while filming, you’re out of luck, as you can clearly see in the overexposed clip in the car.

I could have spent more time with it, but couldn’t be bothered actually. Spur of the moment kind of clip. No plan, no script, no nothing except plenty of free time! 🙂

Re: Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

I think it’s a very nice addition to a blog, don’t you?

It’s like print going into radio and then television. Same thing happening with the blogging world which means that now that we have faster connections than say 5 years ago, we are now demanding even faster broadband and even bigger disk space.

I wonder if we have to now register our video blogs with the Ministry of Information as broadcasters!

Chan’ad there is nothing holding us back from doing proper grass-root documentaries. If anything these couple of clips I uploaded, they prove that video clips can be done for next to nothing! Almost all the necessary tools are actually already on most people’s computers, save for the camcorder. And even that is not a big deal as most digital cameras provide a facility to shooting video clips.

Plug the camera into your computer, transfer the clips and images and then if you’re on Windows you can use Movie Maker, while in the Mac you have iMovie. If you want to equalise both platforms and get the same result every time (as far as settings, learning curve, etc) use the freely downloadable Avid FreeDV which beats the crap out of both applications.

The fear I had when I started this is the usual: hate to hear or see myself! Being self consciouis, then I told myself to hell with it, start with something that you love or are passionate about and then the rest would fall into place.

I am sure that this videoblogging will develop further over the next few months as far as Mahmood’s Den is concerned. For now I want to find out what actually works for most people, then standardise on it. Maybe going to the extent of offering different streams or platform versions. We’ll see.

It *is* a lot of fun though!

Re: Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

Laura this is weird. Both computers I use have QuickTime 7 installed, and it is the engine that is used to encode the final output. However I of course used iMovie on the Mac, while Avid’s FreeDV on the PC. I didn’t put them through any external compression engine. It is ironic that the PC produced version is more compatible with QuickTime than the Mac produced one!

I’ve just installed Sorenson Squeeze on both machines now so that I would run the compression through that rather than inside the video editing application.

I’m sure we’ll figure out what’s going on, and it is my intention to find if not the lowest common denominator, at least a median that will work happily with most visitors.

Re: Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

Damn Chris, that IS fast!

Re: Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

Oh, regarding the driving… I’ve got a small dinky tripod to put the camera on the next time I plan to do that!

You’re right, it is dangerous. But in my defence you would have noticed that I only filmed when we were crawling. Still bad though, I agree.

21. mohd says:

Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

Memories memories, if I am not mistaken, that ‘gahwah’ was next to a billboard for the Saab dealership? Strange the things you remember…. Actually I can’t remember if it was Al Khajah or Al Kooheji that were the dealers….

I do remember that the area had Sacred Heart Church, the Family Bookstore and Jawad Bakery. I even remember my mother taking me with her to see a goldsmith in Hammam.

Thanks for the memories, Mahmood! Keep them coming

22. anonymous says:

Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

I couldn’t get the first vblog but this 2nd one worked just fine. And it may not have had any “deep thought” but I really liked it – it’s so nice to see a snippet of ordinary life in another country, in someways maybe even more interesting than watching something more self-conscious and serious.

Ash

23. mohd says:

Re: Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

Heavens Mahmood, I was only two towns away!

And yet it always felt like there was such a chasm between the old tight neighborhoods in that area and the cosmoplitan, almost touristy sections of Adliya.

Yeah there’s some familiarity with that place, between visits to AMH and the NEC, the Family Bookstore, Sacred Heart’s Annual Bazaar, Jawad Bakery pastries, Sambousa runs and Manama club basketball fans.

Seems like everyone in that neighborhood was born with a perfect jumpshot. Or more like a relentless nose for the ball. It always felt like the toughest and smartest kids I played against came from that area.

The people were different from what I was used to seeing in Adliya, and on te surface it may have looked like there was little we shared in common, but if you look past that, our communities depended on each other and we took advantage of what each other had to offer…

…Oh, you’ve so got me thinking about it all day now…

Re(1): Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

time to re-visit your old haunts me thinks! 😉

25. 7alaylia says:

Re(1): Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

That is what I have hear. I think that is about the fastest out there. Is there anything faster going out there?

Re: Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

stirred a hornet’s nest here haven’t I?

the dealership belonged to Al-Khajah I’m pretty sure, but can’t remember the billboard. The area is a well trodden ground of my childhood, as it seems it has been yours too!

27. sagnutty says:

Mahmood,

Great V-blog!!!! Have you taken a walk on the AMH Pedestrian bridge? I love looking up and down the street from the bridge and seeing the traffic and people below and thinking how much things have changed over the years and yet how much is still the same. How about a Vblog showing the “Tree of Life” one of the days????????? The picture on your blog is great but it just doesn’t do the justice this tree deserves.

Re: Vlog #2 – House hunting and other thoughts

I’m not sure if I would be able to do the tree justice, but it is an excellent idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll do this one as soon as possible before the “real” summer hits!