White Cheeked Bulbuls

16 Jul, '05

Bulbuls, one in flight, originally uploaded by malyousif.

My weekend… watching various birds visiting my garden.

These are White Cheeked Bulbuls which are indigenous to Bahrain. They are endangered due to crows traveling from India and settling here. Crows raid the bulbuls’ nests, destroy them and eat their young.

There is a program to get rid of the crows in Bahrain and I think you get paid a Dinar for every one you kill, though I’m not very sure of that.

Essa Faraj the curator of birds and reptiles at Al-Areen Wildlife Park talked about the situation in movie I made last month.

Filed in: General

1. anonymous says:

White Cheeked Bulbuls

That’s a great shot. What camera do you use?

Crows are my favourite birds but there’s no doubt that they have a world domination masterplan.

Ash

Re: White Cheeked Bulbuls

It’s a Canon EOS 20D with a cheep 70-300mm lens. Here is the EXIF info on this particular shot if you’re interested.

3. anonymous says:

White Cheeked Bulbuls

Nice one Mahmood. The bulbuls really have become rare these days where once you could hear them singing every morning.

But there seem to be quite alot of mynahs around this year. They have a pretty amazing variety of vocal sounds, so its fun to hear them talk every morning and sunset.

4. anonymous says:

Re(1): White Cheeked Bulbuls

Ah, that’s good – I bought a Canon EOS350D a few weeks ago but I only started playing with it yesterday so I’m still very much in that “100 shots of the exact same flower using slightly different settings” stage. The Canon is my first SLR so and I have to look up everything in the manual, sometimes several times … But I’ll get there eventually.

Ash

5. anonymous says:

White Cheeked Bulbuls

My daughters cat brought home a baby bird and left it on our the back patio.
    It’s mother has been watching her dead baby for three days now :^(
    his thing never lets me sign in…This is Pebble

6. 7alaylia says:

White Cheeked Bulbuls

Awesome picture Mahmood.

7. Marlene says:

White Cheeked Bulbuls

Lovely.

I have American Goldfinches and Lawerence’s Goldfinches at my feeder this week.

In my neighborhood the crows don’t parasitize other birds nests, the cowbirds do, but the crows are falling ill and dying of West Nile Disease.

Re: White Cheeked Bulbuls

I put up two bird feeders in the garden, fastened high enough on the palm trees so the birds don’t get disturbed by the dogs when they feed, but I have not seen even ONE bird take advantage of them! Bahrain birds are very very wary it seems, but we’re not losing hope. I got fresh bird feed for smaller birds and sunflower mix for parrots and sometimes sit for a long time monitoring these feeders in the hope that some hapless bird will “discover” them and bring in more birds to feed. Maybe I should put a decoy there to show the other birds what’s available!

9. anonymous says:

Re(1): White Cheeked Bulbuls

Don’t give up hope. My wild bird feeder hung there for six months, ignored by everything. Then suddenly a bandit gang of sparrows started raiding it, then blue tits, gold finches and various other small birds. They are messy eaters and throw seeds all over the ground where larger birds such as collar doves, blackbirds and thrushes clean up the scatterings.

Ash.

Re(2): White Cheeked Bulbuls

ah, that’s good to know.. thanks Ash, I shan’t lose hope then!