Slugs!

7 Feb, '06
slug
slug, originally uploaded by malyousif.

I physically picked up over 100 of these critters last night (this is not an exageration!) but there is always that one that you miss, and I got this bugger this morning!

Filed in: General

1. anonymous says:

Re(1): Slugs!

Ahhhhhh – so you do [quote]hunt and squash the buggers every day almost[/quote] because I thought you just ‘picked them up’ like you mentioned in your post.

Well I want to confess to doing the same to slugs; however, when I mentioned that to a lady friend of mine she shot me a look of hunt and squash me down! She hated that I killed slugs and wanted me instead to help them find their way out into the courtyard.

girls. Haha.

[url=http://nasrawi.blogspot.com/]nasrawi[/url]

2. anonymous says:

Slugs!

Hi Mahmoud! I didn’t know there were slugs in Bahrain. EW. We used to have them in Washington, DC and your anonymous commentor is correct – salt will kill them. (So will an AK-47, but it is a lot messier.) We used to come back from clubs late at night and sneak back into my dad’s house during the wee hours of the morning. To make a quiet entrance, we’d take our shoes off and walk up the sidewalk. Problem was, it was usually covered with the slimy slug things. Let me just tell you that there is NO other feeling in the world quite the same as slugs squishing between your toes, drunk, at 3:00 in the morning.

3. cerebralwaste says:

Slugs!

Mahmood

Burry some small cups around the yard and fill the cups 3/4 full with beer. CHEAP BEER. No point in using good stuff! The slugs will seek out the beer, slime their way into the cups and drown. Not as fun as squashing them or salting the plant eating bastards but it works. Just don’t drink the beer afterwards. This is a great way to help break the slug mating cycle and reduce the pests, however dogs sometimes have been known to drink the beer.

Re: Slugs!

You kidding? Both Gnasher AND Phoebe will be fighting to get to the cups. That actually will have an added advantage of calming the brutes down and maybe, just maybe, they will amble back to their kennel rather than create yet another sheep trail in my lovely lawn!

I’ll stick to the snail pellets for now though, and just for fun I’ll put some in salt and watch them explode or shrivel for fun. (calm down greenpeace and environmentalists, I’m just kidding!)

Re(2): Slugs!

If I find a 100, that’s a lot of squashing and it does get disgusting after a while. It takes ages and maybe a whole bar of soap to wash the resultant slime off your hands, and even then you remember the smell and walk around with a disgusted look on your mug all day long. That doesn’t make you many friends, let me tell you.

But if it’s just one or two, you could squash them with a small garden implement or hold both ends and twist. Away from you, mind you. Else you’ll get squirted and that is not nice.

This subject is getting pretty disgusting isn’t it? But to me it’s not as disgusting as the posts it is sandwiched between! 😮

6. cerebralwaste says:

Slugs!

I figured the dogs would “squash” the beer idea!!

The beer trap system does work. The slugs are attracted to the smell and they will lurk their way towards the brew, drink, fall in and die.

If you or anyone else ever tries this method don’t use good beer. I have found no differance in results between the cheap stuff and the good stuff. Salt is a “fun” way to get some petty revenge on these pest who have no problem chewing up our favorite plants.

Re: Slugs!

Well, in that case, as all beers cost the same (?) I might as well use Amstel Light. There is no point in fattening them up!

8. nasrawi says:

Slugs!

Slugs scare me!

Haha – I know, what a girl.

[url=http://nasrawi.blogspot.com/]nasrawi[/url]

Re: Slugs!

😆 You get used to them and their slimyness when you hunt and squash the buggers every day almost, because not doing so will ruin your flowers.

10. anonymous says:

Slugs!

Try salting them Mahmood. Not in a place where the salt will harm the plants in the garden on course.

11. anonymous says:

Slugs!

I’ve had long and exhausting fights with these critters too, so …

So?

So … nothing. That’s it. Yep, you’ll be remembering this reply. For a long time. I bet in a million years, you still remember where you were when some anonymous guy on the internet shared his problems with slugs, the naked snails.

Anyway, I just wanted to post [i]something[/i] after my first visit. Compliments on your intelligent correspondence in your next post.

Kind regards,

Cicada

12. anonymous says:

Re: Slugs!

Don’t get caught in OKC doing that!

13. Dan says:

Slugs!

Yeah. The salt thing works and the beer thing works.

But what about the roaches? You SMOKE the roaches.

14. anonymous says: