Happy Good Friday!

14 Apr, '06

Red Double Hibiscus originally uploaded by malyousif

I’ve just bought two of these plants a few days ago (cuttings) and replanted them in big pots placed at the front door of our house. I’m glad to see that they not only survived, but already flowered brilliantly!

Have a wonderful Good Friday and Happy Easter everyone.

Filed in: Thoughts

1. Happy Easter and Good Friday to one and all!!

Mahmood. That Red Double Hibiscus is perhaps one of the top 5 hibiscus I have ever seen. Would you allow me to remove a cutting or two from this specimen in the future so I may propagate it?

Of course! Glad to. When are you coming over?

3. Not soon enough Mahmood!! I have been having Bahrain withdrawl symptoms since I came back to the US. I should be back in the fall. That should give this wonderfull hibiscus enough time to become estabished so it won’t be stressed if I snip a couple of stems.

4. Steve The American says:

That is a very striking photo.

5. billT says:

When we first moved here we rented a house in Hawi. There was a Hawaiian Hibiscus in the yard that was planted I was told in the late 1800’s when the house was built. The flowers were a good 8″-10″ across. It stood 25′ high with a trunk that was huge. For its age the flowers were still beautiful not a wrinkle one.

Happy Easter all and may we all learn to live in peace.

6. tooners says:

beautiful, beautiful!

7. The Mav says:

Beautiful hibicsus.

A few weeks back, I took some pictures of my white camellia bush and a yellow hibiscus, however, I don’t know what variety they are. The camellia bushes are about 80 years old but still going strong, and the hibicus was planted when we had a tortise, hibiscus is desert to a tortise.

When I can find the USB cable, I will post the pictures on my blog.

8. echo says:

do you celebrate Easter and Good Friday in Bahrain?

Christians do, in their various churches and cathedrals here. Some Bahrainis (non-Christians) join in the fun too! There are a lot of activities for kids and adults surrounding this occasion.

I was at the wedding of my beloved niece on Saturday, and we all received a little Easter Egg with our names engraved on the egg-cup. It was lovely, bride radiant, church full, beer free, groom sober, me crying…

I am a little jealous of your Hibiscus Mahmood, but it is tempered by the mass of blossom on my own Magnolia Stellata which seems to be flirting with us right now.
    Oh, and that great harbinger of Spring, Fred the Woodpidgeon, is standing on the chimney pot, shouting down the chimney, trying to fool us into thinking he is trapped behind the fireplace again. This is for you Fred…

The spring is sprung
    the grass is riz
    I wonder where
    wor Freddie is.

Meggie

Glad the wedding went well, and tears are good in these situations!

Thanks for introducing me to the wonderful Magnolia Stellata, looks like a really wonderful plant, and as it like lime and limestone, it probably will do pretty well in Bahrain… another one goes on the list of things to get. Soon we’ll have to demolish the house to have a bigger garden and live in the garden shed!

12. Citizen Quasar says:

Beautiful. Thank you.

13. unJane says:

I would love to see your beautiful hibiscus but our enlightened leaders here in the land of biggest, tallest, most expensive have, in their infinite wisdom, blocked all access to flickr. I thought it was a M.E. thing, but guess it’s just Dubai. Lucky me………………….

Awww… just for you then, I pulled it out of Flickr and uploaded it to the server direct so that we can circumvent the ban and allow you to enjoy such a beautiful flower:

Mahmood's Red Double Hibiscus

Enjoy!

15. unJane says:

You are a kind and thoughtful man…….thanks!