Just Chillin’!

27 Apr, '06

Burj Al-Arab - Dubai: the view out of my room at Mina Al-Salam hotel in Madinat Jumairah

Burj Al-Arab – Dubai, originally uploaded by malyousif.

Everything done, the bag is packed, finished breakfast and now just chillin’ in the room till check-out time in a couple of hours and then onwards this evening back home…

It’s been fun!

Filed in: Travel

1. Citizen Quasar says:

This is a hotel, right? I saw this hotel on a special one time on TV. As I recall, it was rated at seven stars. This is particularly interesting because the scale only goes up to five.

2. Citizen Quasar says:

This building is VERY modernistic, VERY 21st century. It reminds me of something that the character Howard Roark might have designed from the book “The Fountainhed” by Ayn Rand.

3. MooDy says:

Hey moo ,
    have a safe trip back 🙂

off topic : Any one having slow internet connection ? it takes 15- 30 sec to load up yahoo mail / hotmail , i got high pings … oh dear this should stop .
    when are we getting our 1 mb connnection ? [im living my fantasy]

4. Khalid says:

Hey man, hopefully you enjoyed your trip, am sure you did great :).

I found an article about you today in ameinfo ;):
    ——————————————————————-

Arab Media Forum hosts workshop on the growing phenomenon of blogging

The increase in the number of bloggers in the Arab world is a main reason for the evolution of the ‘individual journalist’ trend, a noticeable change in competition, accuracy and credibility in Arab Media.

Dr. Imad Basheir, the first branch Manager of the Media & Documentation College in Lebanon, speaking during a workshop at the Arab Media Forum in Dubai yesterday.

He kicked off the workshop with a speech that outlined the history of communication and the different phases that have resulted in the interactive media phase that the world is witnessing today, and the morph of the global audience to an information audience and the media to an interactive media.

The workshop discussed the phenomena of bloggers and the changes in Arab Media that have resulted from this phenomenon. During this workshop, issues such as freedom of expression, blogger identities and their effect on public opinion and other media channels were discussed.

Basheir added that the number of Arab bloggers was still relatively low, due mainly to reluctance to exercise free speech, poverty and illiteracy levels, high cost of telecommunications and the lack of proper infrastructure to sustain them.

Anisa Al Sharif, a blogger from the United Arab Emirates, then went on to explain some background information and history of blogs.

Al Sharif gave live examples of how effective the Arab bloggers have been in affecting contemporary media and journalism – as well as statistics about the number of blogs in the world.

Mahmood Al Yousef, a blogger from the Kingdom of Bahrain stated that, ‘In the present time – bloggers do not compete with traditional media, but rather complement them. That however, is subject to change once people start to have more trust and these blogs gain more credibility. Implementing new multimedia methods, such as video and audio, will also increase the competition between the two.’

Al Yousef also explained the reasons behind the tendency of Arab bloggers to hide their real identity – a trend that he believes will also change in the future once the Arab media landscape starts to change.

The workshop was concluded with a question and answer session where subjects such as freedom of speech, credibility and relationship with traditional media were debated.

5. Will says:

What an incredibly beautiful structure. If this picture were on a site I had never visited before I would be inclined to believe that it was photoshopped.

6. Aliandra says:

Yes, it is rated at 7 stars. I have seen a slide-show of the interiors. Really splendid. There is a restaurant that is either underwater or surrounded by an aquarium- couldn’t really tell.

Khaled, thanks for link, this seems to be more or less a direct translation of the article that appeared this morning in the Al-Bayan newspaper in Arabic, but this one has slightly more information.

I’m still collecting my final thoughts on the conference, and hopefully will have a few clear and silent minutes to organise and post them.

Will thank you very much. I enhanced it a bit through my Photoshop workflow of course, but it is taken with my Sony Eriksson K750i mobile phone believe it or not!

Aliandra (and Will), here’s the site for the Burj Al-Arab hotel. I have been near it more times that I wish to count; however, I have never set foot in it. It doesn’t do anything for me at all and I think that it is just far too pretentious and gauche. I have not changed my mind since the first time I saw it.

The restaurant you’re talking about is surrounded by an aquarium, and they make a show of “taking you down to it with a submarine (and stupid mugs actually strap their seat belts when told to during the “ride”!!) but I can tell you from experiences of a lot of my friends, it’s not something that you would rave about.. the food is apparently less than good, and certainly not adequate. My sister and her husband did dine their a couple of times, and I can tell you that if their experience is anything to go by, I am vindicated in my view of this beautiful structure, but just far too over-the-top for me to consider grandiose.

8. Ingrid says:

I can see how you think it looks gauche as you do not see many different architectural styles in the Gulf region. Except for those who a prince(ess)/emir/king what have you want to have built as something to show off. It kinda looks interesting, but it also looks show off’y if you will considering the environment it is in..
    Ingrid

9. Citizen Quasar says:

Mahmood: On reconsidering, and examining the evidence, I tend to agree with you.

I DO like, and am drawn to the structure by its sleek outward appearance. This looks like a giant sea shell or sailing boat sail. I HOPE that this design has constructional functionality. I also like the fact that it is on an island like that.

I further think that a restaurant surrounded by an aquarium would be a nice place to dine, even IF the food is not so good. Yet, I think that a simple elevator, an escalator, or perhaps just stairs would be an appropriate way to enter. The rest is bullshit.

Also, after taking the virtual tour, I am convinced that there is WAY to much ornateness. Perhaps this place is meant for someone who is on a perpetual cocaine buzz.

Finally, and not to be too crass, there are the toilets. These may be viewed by taking the virtual tour and looking in the bathrooms. The toilets are totally inadequate. Uh…er…they look like they are functional and work (even if you sit on rectangles instead of ellipses over there).

Look at them. They are worthy of being public toilets down at the local grocery store. However, they are NOT up to the standard of the hotel’s décor. Personally, if I was going to spend all that money and stay in a place like that, I expect to sit on a THRONE when I conduct my personal business!

Have a safe return trip. I hope you accomplished something positive.

—Dan

For those of you who enjoy large buildings check out this site. http://skyscrapercity.com/