Beirut Corniche at Dawn

16 Jul, '06

Beirut Corniche at Dawn, viewed from my room at the Riviera Hotel balcony

Beirut Corniche at Dawn, originally uploaded by malyousif.

I just spent less than 24 hours in Beirut about a month ago… the first time I visit Lebanon. I do hope that I will be able to visit again as soon as possible. The short time I spent there allowed me to fall in love with the country. This is the vision that greeted me at dawn from my hotel room balcony.

I hope you pull out of this Lebanon. I’m sure you will.

I think Israel proved its superiority now. In 6 days it’s destroyed almost all the important infrastructure of the country and most if not all tourists have left or are leaving the country. Their economy is destroyed and there is no Hariri to resurrect it.

Enough.

The point is made.

Continuing the disproportionate use of force now is much more damaging to the aggressor, much more than anyone else.

Enough.

Filed in: Travel

1. billT says:

Apparently they didn’t all get out. One of the latest reports is that eight Canadian citizens were killed in Israeli strikes. Israel has gone so far overboard on this that there is no way they can justify this as self defense any more. Right before this started NPR (national public radio) aired a series on the strength of the Israel lobby in the US. One of the points they made was that sometimes its not in the best interest of the US to support Israel but that we always do while most of the rest of the western nations hedge their bets. I imagine that the phone lines are melting down to our congressmen as I type with all the reasons in the world why Israel is right to destroy the whole country.

It was shameful that until very recently in the US there was virtually no discussion in the mainstream media about the role of the Israel lobby, and that the only way that two respected academics – one from Harvard and one from Chicago – could get a study published was in a British publication, the London Review of Books. Sounds like its now opened up the subject – at long last – despite all the hysterical denials from the lobby’s supporters about its existence.

The role of the lobby explains a lot about why US policy in the Middle East seems to run so counter to obvious US interests.

3. Ingrid says:

Holy Cow anonymous.. I started reading it online and then I thought, nope…I just need to print it. (I prefer reading sitting back rather than sitting up at attention on the computer) 31 pages! Could not tell before hand and apparently, there is a link (wayy on the bottom) that takes you to an unedited version (!) but it is a great article. From a Dutch perspective, it is so counter to truthfulness and common decency to NOT wanting to talk about issues honestly, especially when it deals with something ‘in your own house’ so to speak. Glad I saw your comment and the article.
    Ingrid

4. Mahmood, that’s another great photo. Once again, I’m envious.

Anonymous, you’re way out to lunch when you absurdly claim that the Jewish lobby is stopping academic papers from being published that are critical of Israel. That’s pure nonsense. In fact, there was a month long flap not long ago about an anti-Israel academic paper that was just published. Academia is biased way to the left and publishes all kinds of papers supporting their political prejudices, including papers critical of Israel.

Supporting a fellow democracy is in the interest of America. Supporting an ally being attacked by Muslim fanatic proxies of Iran is also in the interest of America, of Israel, and of the people in Lebanon held hostage by Hezbollah. Ultimately, it is in the interest of the free world to punish Muslim violence with overwhelming force until they realize that such violence gains them nothing and loses them much. Rewarding them for violence encourages Muslim violence everywhere.

In the long term, use of disproportianate force is less deadly than balanced violence which drags on forever, endlessly bleeding populations. Clean out Hezbollah and get it over with.

Steve

5. ami says:

Hello Mahmood from Bahrain,
    Nice blog…I have tried to contact you by a smoke signal (as you suggested..) but I’m not sure that the wind is blowing in the right direction. Right? What is right? Who can define this elusive term? You may find more Israeli views about the current war in Lebanon here. Please visit:

btw: Regarding this: http://mahmood.tv/?p=2609 …
    mmm..cool approach, although I’m not sure I agree to all your conclusions… I took the liberty to linked in at my blog… hope it’s ok 🙂

no problem Ami, and sorry about the wind continuously shifting these days, it’ll settle soon enough I hope and shall await your smoke signal!

7. tooners says:

beautiful pic of Beirut! i so loved the corniche there. when we went last year, we would walk around down there for hours. so many ppl… so many beautiful sites. and the downtown area… did you have a chance to go there?

it’s very sad that this is happening. i, like you, hope it ends very soon and hope that lebanon pulls out of this.

8. bikeshed says:

Steve, I simply don’t understand why someone so obtuse as to not see what was right before their eyes would even bother to post here (other than your obvious love of photography). BTW, do you actually have a degree or do you just disregard anything to do with academia outright?

Ingrid, I have the entire PDF if you would like (83 pages and lots of harvard logos everywhere).

Anyway, I find myself agreeing with Mahmood on this one…enough.

9. Jonathan says:

Well,
    I do agree that we bombarded enough, actually i do think we blew too much things out. The question, however, is why Israel decided to bomb lebanon? Unlike Israel’s excuse (the kidnapped soldiers) or the current excuse (the rockets falling), i do think that Israel is bombing because it believes that as long as Hizbullah will remain in the area then there is no chance for peace.

I would like to see an end to these bombs, on both sides. Only yesterday there was a demonstration to end these bombing, i didn’t join because i don’t think that unilatteral actions will help. There needs to be an Israeli-Lebanese conference, with the participation of Syria, to put an end to this once and for all future times.

I hate it that lebanon is used as a mean, by syria, by iran and by israel. It is terrible.

And yes, lebanon is a beautiful place.

10. moon says:

Jonathan
    Lebanon is being used by Syria, and Iran. Israel only defend it’s self against terrorist who reside in side Lebanon, who is too weak to fight this terrorists who took over all it’s south.
    I don’t think any one believes Israel had any benefits in starting this war.
    It is crystal clear it was the interests of Iran via Hezbollah
    Iran who want to shift the eyes of the world from her nuclear project
    Iran who in her long term project of not letting any kind of stability in the middle east – is helping and financing activities in Gaza.
    The world sits back while this demoniac country which is leaded by crazy people is getting stronger and the moment will come where all the world will be threatened by it
    Israel is fighting for it’s life !
    I’ve been a left wing person – ever since i remember my self, grew up in a family who believed in peace with Arabs, and letting them form their own country.
    But, helas! the more i go, the less i trust the people who is in power with the palestanine, i don’t beleive they want peace
    i don’t beleive they want to build thier country, and give better life, education, prosperity to thier people
    they are motivated only by hatred and blood, and money that do get to Gaza from the concerned world – ends up mostly in the pokets of curropted people in power there
    so, where is the hope?
    where is the vision we all beleived in of NEW MIDDLE EAST that Shimon Peres was precheing about?
    I’m not optimistic at all
    I don’t see any sencere motivation from the palestanianes for real peace
    The only hope i see right now, is coming from countries such as Eygpt and saudia arabia- who had enough from this crzy extrimists…
    time will tell

11. Coffee Lover says:

Moon, why would you think Iran is trying to shift the focus away from its nuclear project and not Isreal trying to shift the focus away from its atrocities towards the Palestinian people or from whatever is happening in Iraq…
    Seeds of Kindness reap flowers. Seeds of hatred reap thorns. Spread peace and it will come your way. I am not too optimistic though from your coming harvest season.

Thanks Ingrid, almost as interesting as the lobby itself has been the campaign to discredit and marginalise Mearsheimer and Walt’s study. The response was hysterical with pro-Israel journalists trying every trick in the book to present asking questions about the role of the Israel lobby as ‘anti semitic’. A desperate scramble to close down discussion. The New York Review of Books has a belated article on it: http://www.nybooks.com/articles/19062

Steve, you’re right (not a phrase you’ve heard very often here I’m sure) within the Left academia its been possible to criticise Israel for a long time. But what its evidently not been possible to do within the Left is to ask aloud the question of ‘why’ America’s relationship with Israel is as it is, and broach the subject of the lobby. Asking questions about ‘why’ would get close to questioning some politically correct canards. Unsurprisingly both Mearsheimer and Walt come from the Realist school of politics – small ‘c’ conservatives, Mearsheimer ex-West Point, belief that study of the national interest is a legitimate subject in politics, etc.

13. Lujayn says:

Jonathan, you summed it up very well.

14. moon says:

Coffee lover,

i wonder, i wonder a lot how would you describe the people who made 9/11 in NYC? and killed thousand of innocent people???????
    would you call their act “Seeds of Kindness reap flowers”
    or is it
    “Seeds of hatred reap thorns”
    or, would you call it “Spread peace and it will come your way”
    well i can only agree with one and only thing you’ve said, and it will be this”:
    “I am not too optimistic though from your coming harvest season”

15. Anonymous: “Steve, you’re right (not a phrase you’ve heard very often here I’m sure) within the Left academia its been possible to criticise Israel for a long time.

I can see why you’re posting anonymously with such an unpopular statement. I like to think that deep down no matter how much they disagree they know in their hearts I’m right.

Anonymous: “But what its evidently not been possible to do within the Left is to ask aloud the question of ‘why’ America’s relationship with Israel is as it is, and broach the subject of the lobby. Asking questions about ‘why’ would get close to questioning some politically correct canards.”

It certainly has been possible. Not only does the Left criticize it, but some of the Right, like Patrick Buchanan, do so as well. The sentiment gains little traction because nobody buys the idea that a Jewish conspiracy directs American policy.

For people like me, supporting Israel is pretty much a no-brainer. It’s a democracy opposed by tyrannies. The Palestinians who oppose them are none too admirable. They live in a Mafia state that thrives on violence and makes few improvements to benefit the people, other than those which make them dependent. They send their children to fight. The suicide campaign is particularly heinous. I can place myself mentally in Sbarro’s having a slice but I can not place myself in a suicide belt looking for kids to blow up. For me, Israel is a forward post in the world war that Muslims have declared against the West and the non-Muslim world at large. Allowing the annihilation of Israel would encourage them to do their worst elsewhere.

Steve

16. Eric Mortensen says:

Well, I suppose if Hizbollah / Labanon had complied with Resolution 1556(?) and disarmed Hizbollah, when Israel pulled out of Lebanon, then we’d not be having this current situation arise – but perhaps it would just pop up somewhere else, on some other level, as that’s what Syria / Iran desire….and it won’t end until Syria and Iran are “stopped”…the UN obviously won’t do diddly …so, I’m all for having this “situation” go on AS LONG AS IT TAKES to wipe out all Hizbollah, from Lebanon…and give Lebanon back to the peaceful Lebanese people. (Let Syria take Hizbollah…give em shelter…but go away !…or die !)

17. Coffee Lover says:

Moon,
    I am in no way intending offence here. I just want to bring forth my point of view.
    What happened in 9/11 was considered an attack of a religon and not of a specific group. Correct? All muslims are now frowned upon as terrorists.
    What is happening in the holy land only affects the Isrealis and the Palestinians (Isreali Arabs if you want to call them that). Jews all over the world have nothing to do with it although they stand side by side with Isreals views whereas muslims all over the world are attacked just because they stand by the Palestinian cause.
    Do you see my point?

18. moon says:

Sorry Coffee Lover,
    reading you, i see how you luck of logic your self.

from one side you say
    “Jews all over the world have nothing to do with it although they stand side by side with Israels ”

and from the other
    “Muslims all over the world are attacked just because they stand by the Palestinian cause.”

so you claim that Jewish from all around the world DOESN’T HAVE THE RIGHT TO STAND BY ISRAEL —BUT–MUSLIMS FROM ALL AROUND THE WORLD DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO STAND BY THE PALESTINIAN??????

ammmm….i rest my case
    i thank God there are Muslims who have more sense then you do.

19. cnm says:

hello everyone,

it has been very difficult to watch what has been happening over the last few days.

I just have a few comments to make: Hizbollah did attack first (in the name of lebanese prisoners in Israeli jails) with the intention of using the kidnapped israeli soldiers as bargaining chips. Was it right? I dont think so.
    Should Israel have retaliated in the way it did? – it doesnt really matter.

Lebanon-has and always will be the playgroud for war in the middle east- where foreign actors play out their proxy wars on Lebanese soil.

Yes, some are saying the lebanese govt are not acting out towards Hizbollah inspite of them not supporting their actions – BUT it is this and only this that is keeping Lebanon from falling into the same trap it did all those years ago.

The somewhat ‘unity’ (and I use this term losely) of the Lebanese, in their silence of what Hizbollah is doing is what is keeping this country together. If the sunnis, or the christians, or the druze, were to condemn Hizbollah and all out fighting broke out in Lebanon, we would be doing exactly what the Syrians would like to see happen to Lebanon, in order for them to regain control of this land. Iran would be happy, seemingly, and ironic as it is, it seems the Americans would to, as both Condi and Bush are calling for the interference of Syria, who only a few weeks ago were calling for Regime change.

Israel, Syria, Iran, the whole of Egypt, the US, UK and France, and the tailess western world towards Israeli agression in the region- have done enough damage to Lebanon.

Enough is enough- even though what Hizbollah has done is wrong- supporting them in this time of trouble is all that can be done, if only because what the Israelis are doing is totally uncalled for, it is the Lebanese and only the Lebanese who contiue to pay the price for foreign interests in the middle east.

I can only pray, that Lebanon stay unified and not bow to the destruction that syria, israel and iran wish to see on this beautiful land.

God be with Lebanon..

see below for Robert Fisk’s article (in the end- i wish there were a few thousand robert fisks to speak to the west and the UN of the injustice served in the Middle East) :

What I am watching in Lebanon each day is an outrage !
    By Robert Fisk in Mdeirej, Central Lebanon ,15 July 2006

The beautiful viaduct that soars over the mountainside here has become a ” terrorist” target. The Israelis attacked the international highway from Beirut to Damascus just after dawn yesterday and dropped a bomb clean through the central span of the Italian-built bridge ­ a symbol of Lebanon’s co-operation with the European Union ­ sending concrete crashing hundreds of feet down into the valley beneath. It was the pride of the murdered ex-prime minister Rafik Hariri, the face of a new, emergent Lebanon. And now it is a ” terrorist” target.
    So I drove gingerly along the old mountain road towards the Bekaa yesterday ­ the Israeli jets were hissing through the sky above me ­ turned the corner once I rejoined the highway, and found a 50ft crater with an old woman climbing wearily down the side on her hands and knees, trying to reach her home in the valley that glimmered to the east. This too had become a ” terrorist” target.
    It is now the same all over Lebanon. In the southern suburbs ­ where the Hizbollah, captors of the two missing Israeli soldiers, have their headquarters ­ a massive bomb had blasted off the sides of apartment blocks next to a church, splintering windows and crashing balconies down on to parked cars. This too had become a “terrorist” target.
    One man was brought out shrieking with pain, covered in blood. Another ” terrorist” target. All the way to the airport were broken bridges, holed roads. All these were “terrorist” targets. At the airport, tongues of fire blossomed into the sky from aircraft fuel storage tanks, darkening west Beirut. These too were now “terrorist” targets. At Jiyeh, the Israelis attacked the power station. This too was a ” terrorist” target.
    Yet when I drove to the actual headquarters of the Hizbollah, a tall building in Haret Hreik, it was totally undamaged. Only last night did the Israelis manage to hit it.
    So can the Lebanese be forgiven ­ can anyone here be forgiven ­ for believing that the Israelis have a greater interest in destroying Lebanon than they do in their two soldiers?
    No wonder Middle East Airlines, the national Lebanese airline, put crews into its four stranded Airbuses at Beirut airport early yesterday and sneaked them out of the country for Amman before the Israelis realised they were under power and leaving.
    European politicians have talked about Israel’s “disproportionate” response to Wednesday’s capture of its soldiers. They are wrong. What I am now watching in Lebanon each day is an outrage. How can there be any excuse ­ any ­ for the 73 dead Lebanese civilians blown apart these past three days?
    The same applies, of course, to the four Israeli civilians killed by Hizbollah rockets. But ­ please note ­ the exchange rate of Israeli civilian lives to Lebanese civilian lives now stands at one to more than 15. This does not include two children atomised in their home in Dweir on Thursday whose bodies cannot be found. Their six brothers and sisters were buried yesterday, with their mother and father. Another “terrorist” target. So was a neighbouring family with five children who were also buried yesterday. Another “terrorist” target.
    Terrorist, terrorist, terrorist. There is something perverse about all this, the slaughter and the massive destruction and the self-righteous, constant, cancerous use of the word “terrorist”. No, let us not forget that the Hizbollah broke international law, crossed the Israeli border, killed three Israeli soldiers, captured two others and dragged them back through the border fence. It was an act of calculated ruthlessness that should never allow Hizbollah’s leader, Hassan Nasrallah, to grin so broadly at his press conference. It has brought unparalleled tragedy to countless innocents in Lebanon. And of course, it has led Hizbollah to fire at least 170 Katyusha rockets into Israel.
    But what would happen if the powerless Lebanese government had unleashed air attacks across Israel the last time Israel’s troops crossed into Lebanon? What if the Lebanese air force then killed 73 Israeli civilians in bombing raids in Ashkelon, Tel Aviv and Israeli West Jerusalem? What if a Lebanese fighter aircraft bombed Ben Gurion airport? What if a Lebanese plane destroyed 26 road bridges across Israel? Would it not be called ” terrorism”? I rather think it would. But if Israel was the victim, it would probably also be World War Three.
    Of course, Lebanon cannot attack Tel Aviv. Its air force comprises three ancient Hawker Hunters and an equally ancient fleet of Vietnam-era Huey helicopters. Syria, however, has missiles that can reach Tel Aviv. So Syria ­ which Israel rightly believes to be behind Wednesday’s Hizbollah attack ­ is not going to be bombed. It is Lebanon which must be punished.
    The Israeli leadership intends to “break” the Hizbollah and destroy its “terrorist cancer”. Really? Do the Israelis really believe they can “break” one of the toughest guerrilla armies in the world? And how?
    There are real issues here. Under UN Security Council Resolution 1559 ­ the same resolution that got the Syrian army out of Lebanon ­ the Shia Muslim Hizbollah should have been disarmed. They were not because, if the Lebanese Prime Minister, Fouad Siniora, had tried to do so, the Lebanese army would have had to fight them and the army would almost certainly have broken apart because most Lebanese soldiers are Shia Muslims. We could see the restarting of the civil war in Lebanon ­ a fact which Nasrallah is cynically aware of ­ but attempts by Siniora and his cabinet colleagues to find a new role for Hizbollah, which has a minister in the government (he is Minister of Labour) foundered. And the greatest danger now is that the Lebanese government will collapse and be replaced by a pro-Syrian government which could reinvite the Syrians back into the country.
    So there’s a real conundrum to be solved. But it’s not going to succeed with the mass bombing of the country by Israel. Nor the obsession with terrorists, terrorists, terrorists.

and I have pasted in an article by Robert Fisk – the long time Beirut Correspondant – i think it sums up what needs to be said.

20. Coffee Lover says:

No moon thats not what I was saying. But now I know how easy it is for some to put words out of context.

What I am saying is that Jews from all over the world back Isreal, but they do not get prosecuted for it, whereas muslims from all over the world who do back the Palestinian Cause are prosecuted for it.

It doesn’t get any easier than that or I will have to bring in a hebrew translator!

21. Arab-American In Lebanon says:

You know, I used to be able to see the lighthouse flashing every night from the balcony of my apartment in Beirut. No more. Does it truly matter if Iran is attempting to use Hizbollah to draw the gaze of the international community away from itself? While the larger picture is indeed important, what about the small details? What about the displaced families, the innocent children killed by the Israeli airstrikes? Hizbollah is not to be exmepted from blame, not hardly, but one thing both the Israeli government and Bush administration is ignoring is that Siniora DOES NOT CONTROL HIZBOLLAH. Do they honestly believe that someone like Nasrallah is going to lay down and die if he’s just asked politely? Somehow, I don’t think so. If the IDF succeeds in killing Nasrallah. that will only galvanize Hizbollah and keep the war running without a mastermind at one end, and shold the Lebanese government take matters into their own hands and remove him from the picture, civil war would erupt, with Hizbollah supporters out for blood. This war has to end. With every man, woman, and child killed by IDF munitions, the United States and Israel simply create more enemies in a region they are supposed to bring peace to.

“With every man, woman, and child killed by IDF munitions”

It’s not the intent of the IDF to wipe out the entire population of Lebanon. Don’t make this into something it’s not.

23. Sunrunner says:

Well, that may be the case, Anonymous (just above) but it does seem clear that the IDF is not particularly interested in preventing and/or minimizing civilian casualties in Lebanon.

Lebanon IS being systematically decimated. In this senario, civilians are not seen as people, but “collateral damage” – an Orwellian term if I ever heard one.

24. Aliandra says:

Sunrunner;

If killing civilians were were the goal, they’d be aiming rockets exclusively at residential neighborhhoods and schools. As far as I can tell, that’s not what they’re doing. They are after discriminate targets. Hezbollah does not seem particularly concerned with civilian lives at all, as they are firing from civilian areas where rockets are sure to come the other way.

What’s going on is really terrible, but don’t be naive enough to think that a war, any war, can be conducted without a single civilian casualty.

25. Sunrunner says:

Aliandra — I didn’t say (in fact I clearly said otherwise) that Israel was “targeting” civilians.

However, I don’t think Israel is/has been much concerned with minimizing civilian casualties. In fact, I don’t think such a notion even enters the radar screen of the IDF.

And please spare me the “justifications.”

As my point is that a human life is a human life. And blood spilled is blood spilled. With or without “justification” the end result is the same. Death. Injury. Suffering. Pain. Grief.

26. Aliandra says:

Sunrunner;

The IDF is dropping off fliers telling civilians to get away from Hezbollah occupied areas. That does show some concern for civilians on their radar screen. On the other hand, the government of Lebanon allowed Hezbollah to install their arsenal in civilian areas. So who’s showing less concern, sunrunner?

I’m not justifying anything here as both sides deserve a lot of blame. Human life will have little worth in this world until we all learn to get along and stop provoking each other. As of now, that’s not on the radar screen.

27. Sunrunner says:

Aliandra,

One can find all kinds of reasons to say that since the Lebanese or hezbollah are more stupid, careless or mean, that the stupid, careless and mean actions of the Israelis aren’t relevant. Or not so bad.

Someone else will come along and do the same thing from the other perspective.

But in practical terms, dropping leaflets on Lebanese civilians after all the main transportation arteries have been bombed reminds me of the excuses given by the state of Louisiana and the US government in the wake of the Katrina disastor. Remember what they said: “we told them to get out.”

BTW – it is not unusual to store and install arsenal in civilian areas. An ago old practice, actually. Ever heard of a good old fashioned armory? Many US towns had them during and after the Revolution and right up to and through the civil war. I am sure that the IDF has all sorts of civil defense (ie weapons systems) installations in civilian areas (they would be crazy not to) .

My only point is that, from my perspective, crimes are being committed on both sides of this horrific confict. Of course both sides are well armed with their “justifications.”

In the meantime, many decent ordinairy people are dying and being driven from their homes. There life’s work is being obliterated. They are being traumatized. And on and on and on it goes.

For my own sanity I have to hold out hope that it is possible to live in a world in which my safety is not based on the death and destruction of my fellow human beings.

28. Aliandra says:

Sunrunner;

The world has evolved since 1776 and missile silos and bunkers are not installed in the middle of cities and towns. That’s how civilized nations prefer to do wars, if it can’t be avoided. Hezbollah doesn’t care about that, or it’s stuck in the middle-ages.

New Orleans was/is the most corrupt city in the most corrupt state in the country, which made the crises worse than it should have been. People actually prefer to drive around Lousiana to whereever south they need to go, just to avoid getting harassed by crooked highway cops. And yes, if your government tells you to get out of disaster area, and you have the means, and you don’t use it, you are a fool. That goes for the hurricane diehards, of which there are way too many in the US.

There’s plenty of criticism here for those American tourists who went to Lebanon when there was a Consular Warning placed on the country. This doesn’t mean they deserved what they got, by any means, but people do need to exercise some prudence.

Sunrunner, I’d like that world too, but I’m holding out hopes for the next one, as I’m not going to see it in this one (in my lifetime

29. Ramy says:

Aliandra,

My friends, is Hezbollah hiding in red cross cars carying wounded people?
    Is Hezbollah hiding in cars running away from the israeli missiles?

is hezbollah hiding in beirut?

Is hezbollah hiding in the airport?

Is hezbollah hiding in all the ports of Lebanon?

Is hezbollah hiding in the electricity factories of lebanon?

Is hezbollah hiding in north? in the light house ?in the water pipes in the water?

Is hezbollah hiding in the roads and the bridges and the touristic areas?

Where is Hezbollah?

The IDF is dropping off fliers and the people who trusted these fliers were massacred. when you send out these leaflets, you should expect that people will be moving, you don`t just shoot at anything moving… right?

tell me or are you not aware about Marwahin? and Sour and Saida…..the massacres of innocent civilians who were fleeing but when the IDF saw them, they thought that Hezbollah was hiding with them…

You know what i think that they are using these leaflets to get more targets because everyone is hiding in Lebanon….so instead of just destroying buildings, they want real news…..death, injuries, pain, hatred, revenge. this is what israel wants from Lebanon.

your statements are not based on logic man come on….

enough is enough…..

30. Ramy says:

Check the israeli terror…..the hatred….
    what is this ?

31. billT says:

The UN is now saying one third of those killed in Lebanon are children. Collateral damage I guess. Theres no excuse available to either side for the deaths of these children. These children are going to be recieved by god not as martyrs but as victims of both Israel and Hezballa. I cant understand why there is even a discussion about who is wrong.

Bill;

ABout half the population in the middle-east is under age 15. So no matter who throws the rockets, a lot of children are going to get killed.

That’s the spirit! Just indiscriminately open fire because no matter where you point, children will die as they produce far too many; after all you are doing us a favour by limiting our breeding rate, right? Better standard of life and all that… well done!

34. tangela says:

i just want to say that i am ashamed again of how america is acting, my country, where i was born, and where i live. i don’t hate america, i’m just saddened about our selective neglect and ignorance. i wish people far away in lebanon knew that there are people, living in little corners of america, feeling so much pain for them; i take many moments each day to pray and think of the families. my father’s family side are from lebanon, however my mother is not…unfortunately i got mostly my mom’s looks!…only my dark eyes and mouth are my dad…so noneone would ever guess i am half lebanese…so many people make comments about arab..this/arab that…never having any idea where my family is from..until i tell them..they look shocked..they apologize…i again feel ashamed of america. My father’s parents (my grandparents) were born in Juniyah…around 1920 they (after a 2-year stopover in Spain) arrived in Ellis Island…sadly my grandparents died before I was born; i have been waiting for the time to visit lebanon..see the place where they were born…touch something they touched…i wonder now if i can ever go. it is such a mystery to me…this place where they were born…i have been trying to find out about them but noone is alive…but i do have cousins in juniyah….and in Sarba??is that a town near there? anyway, i want to have a connection to my grandparents…my father and all 4 of his brothers are dead, also and there was not one single item belonging to my grandparents that was left for me..i have a few pictures..that is all…i dream of juniyah…

That’s very touching tangela, and proves that people need to know and touch their root, be in touch with their past in order to go ahead and grab their future with both hands. Unfortunately for you, you will never see the beautiful Lebanon your parents and grandparents have known, especially with the complete and indiscriminate destruction the country is now subjected to.

However, knowing the tenacity of the Lebanese, they won’t take too long to rebuild their country and society… we hope not to be once again destroyed by wars and strife. And I have a feeling that as the majority of Lebanese for the first time in a very long time now feel as one, that new Lebanon will probably be much better than the one currently lying in ruins.