Bath Time

5 Aug, '06

Sparrow having a bath

sparrow having a bath, originally uploaded by malyousif.

Sorry, delayed “Friday Photograph“. I hope you don’t mind…

Filed in: Thoughts

1. tooners says:

The sparrows have only recently found our bird bath. It makes me so happy to see them in it… altho none have ventured into full fledged bathing as of yet… I hope to see one doing this at some point. Nothing would make me happier. 🙂

2. @mahmood

Love the bokeh (fuzzy background.)

What lens+camera combo have you used?

3. alfanan says:

I’ve been wanting to ask you this, what camera do you use? Do you touch up your photos, or do you post them as they are? The pics you (and Arif) take are amazing, and the sparrow’s pic here is no different.

Nothing spectacular actually, I use a beat up old Canon 20D digital SLR camera with the default lens of 18-55mm and a cheapo Canon zoom 70-300mm.

The only touch-up, if any, I do on the photographs is the normal darkroom techniques: lighting adjustments and sharpening. Nothing dramatic.

The thing is, it’s really not the equipment that makes the picture, but the eye of the photographer! If you look at my earlier work posted on Flickr, you will realise that those were taken with little Canon IXUS snapshot cameras, and you will (hopefully) agree that the compositions and subjects are just as good!

5. tooners says:

Mahmood, do you have your own darkroom? I’ve wanted to do one of these at home but didn’t think I could get the necessary equipment here.

I had, when I was a kid. My dad bought me everything that I needed when I expressed an interest in photography, and being the dad he was, he didn’t stop at buying me a regular snappy kind of camera, but a “real” SLR at that time (the Russian Zenith) complete with projector, paper, developing chemicals and told me to go and have fun!

Now, all my darkroom techniques come into Adobe Photoshop Elements (just bought v4 upgrade and it’s amazing for what I want to do!)

7. tooners says:

I think the things your dad did are wonderful! When we have kids, I want to raise them the same way. 🙂