Vlog #25: The Garden Tour

13 Aug, '06

I know I know.. I go months without touching the video camera, and then you get two vlogs on the same day. What can I say but, ehm, I’ll try to be better and post more often.

Anyway, here’s the video I shot Friday morning of the garden, see how scorched and monochrome it looks at the moment? That’s one reason why I can’t wait for the summer to end so that I can get busy trying new and wonderful plants and get the colour and growth back in it. The first part of that is preparing for that eventuality, that’s why I replaced all the drip system pipes to get better watering footprint in the borders.

Oh, now that I’ve got the MacBook which has a built-in video camera, expect more like the previous vlog I posted earlier this morning and shot using the built-in camera. So brace yourself for more of my mug! 🙂

Filed in: M.Report

1. Ingrid says:

Mahmoud, how neat to actually ‘see’ your garden. Like with you in Bahrain, our plants are just stressed to the max. Nice drip lines. I am itching to get back into the yard and start planting..I’ll probably will have to wait till September. How ‘weird’ it is to hear your voice (no worries, a good weird)..now I’ll ‘hear’ your voice when I read your words, thanks for sharing this video, you have a nice looking yard.. (love the entry gate too)
    Ingrid

2. tooners says:

Nice video! Our garden is looking pretty near the same. Can’t wait until October to start looking for fresh plants!

It’s nice to put a voice to a face… altho you sound different than I expected. You have an American accent…. which I didn’t expect.

Your “stupids” are nice… we want some dogs as well.

Love your yard… and I’m sure it’ll look amazing in a few months… after the heat leaves us. 🙂

Do I really? Oh no! And I haven’t watched TV for such a long time and my Scottish education has all gone to waste… at the very least, I was hoping that I would sound mid-Atlantic! 🙂

4. tooners says:

mid-Atlantic? hmmm… don’t think I’d know a mid-Atlantic accent if I heard it… so maybe you do indeed have a mid-Atlantic accent… altho I took it for American. I was thinking you might have a British accent, to be honest. You have a nice accent – whatever it is. 🙂 I’ve always liked the accent Arabic speaking ppl have when they speak English. You have a nice voice.

Btw, we saw your brother at the Ritz a few wks back and when I saw him, I had to take a double glance because I thought it was you – then I realized it wasn’t. My husband noticed the look and said, “oh, that’s Mahmood’s brother”. I was like… “aaahhh”. You guys look a lot alike. 🙂

“cookie cutter” perfect I would say, and a lot of people confuse me for the younger one. I like those people! 😆

6. Alfanan says:

The hubby said it was your younger bro! 😉 And yes, you guys are cookie cutter perfect. It’s amazing.

7. tooners says:

oops, that was a post from me, but since i’m posting from my husband’s puter, i didn’t notice that the named needed to be changed… so sorry for that one! 🙂

8. Publia says:

Hi Mahmood,

RE: An email I received but have no address to forward: “Most of us think of our gardens as lush oases of green, but relentless heat and arid winds can leave a landscape barren. Lucky for those who live in such conditions, some plants are designed to flourish … ”

As I’ve commented before, we love your garden tours. I am sorry that you don’t have an email on your site, because I received an ad for flowers that seemed perfect for your garden. The pictures didn’t paste, but I pasted the email here. (I’ll leave the extraneous stuff in) Also, here is a link to more flower ideas: http://www.southernliving.com/southern/gardens/seasonal_gardens/article/0,13676,1029491,00.html

I hope you have moderated comments so I won’t mess up your blog with the below, as good sense would say you should delete it. Since you share your garden with all, I did want to pass along the email.

Best,

Publia

Refresh Your Garden with Lush, Sun-Loving Plants!
    Having trouble viewing our newsletter? Click here.
    To ensure delivery of Wayside Gardens E-Newsletters, please add info@waysidecs.com to your address book.

Echinacea ‘Twilight’ #48027
    Vigorous plants produce armloads of blooms over their long summer season.
    3-inch pot, Zones 4-9

1 for $19.95 each.
    3 for $18.00 each. Save $5.85

Most of us think of our gardens as lush oases of green, but relentless heat and arid winds can leave a landscape barren. Lucky for those who live in such conditions, some plants are designed to flourish in less than perfect landscapes and prefer the warmth and well-drained soils of their native habitats. Whether water conservation is your top priority or you live in an unforgiving climate, Wayside’s refreshing selections are easy to maintain and will keep your garden verdant and alive every season of the year. Refresh your garden with the inviting, sun-loving plants listed below!

Coreopsis ‘Zamfir’ #40889
    Hardy from zone 4 through zone 9, ‘Zamfir’ is a trouble-free gem you will treasure.
    3-inch pot, Zones 4-9
    1 for $9.95 each.
    3 for $9.00 each. Save $2.85

Delosperma ‘Starburst’ #43924
    A hardier, more floriferous iceplant with
    brilliant orchid-pink blooms.
    3-inch pot, Zones 4-9
    1 for $6.95 each.
    3 for $6.50 each. Save $1.35

Eryngium ‘Blue Star’ #44818
    Blue green foliage adds to the appeal generated by metallic blue flowers.
    3-inch pot, Zones 5-9
    1 for $9.95 each.
    3 for $9.00 each. Save $2.85

Gaura ‘Crimson Butterflies’ #40874
    The longest-blooming, most colorful and compact gaura yet.
    3.5-inch pot, Zones 5-10
    1 for $9.95 each.
    3 for $9.00 each. Save $2.85

Coreopsis ‘Heaven’s Gate’ #47801
    Vigorous and super long-blooming, this is the richest rosy-pink coreopsis yet.
    3-inch pot, Zones 6-9
    1 for $12.95 each.
    3 for $12.00 each. Save $2.85

Echinacea ‘Sunrise’ #49760
    Huge, fragrant yellow blooms are a color breakthrough.
    3-inch pot, Zones 3-9
    1 for $12.95 each.
    3 for $12.00 each. Save $2.85

Sedum ‘Angelina’ #49648
    A carpet of gold for any hot, dry spot.
    3-inch pot, Zones 3-8
    1 for $7.95 each.
    3 for $7.00 each. Save $2.85

Coreopsis ‘Dreamcatcher’ #43007
    Petals that shade from pink to deep rose.
    3-inch pot, Zones 6-9
    1 for $12.95 each.
    3 for $12.00 each. Save $2.85

Agastache Sonoran Sunsetâ„¢ #49844
    The most heat tolerant of all the Agastaches — yet also hardy to -20 degrees F.
    3-inch pot, Zones 5-9
    1 for $9.95 each.
    3 for $9.00 each. Save $2.85

Verbascum ‘Lavender Lass’ #40038
    Compact habit great for edging sunny borders in hot, dry locations.
    3-inch pot, Zones 5-9
    1 for $9.95 each.
    3 for $9.00 each. Save $2.85

Salvia ‘Pink Friesland’ #49858
    Drought-tolerant, irresistible to butterflies and hummingbirds, and ideal for cutting.
    3-inch pot, Zones 3-8
    1 for $9.95 each.
    3 for $9.00 each. Save $2.85

Gaillardia ‘Fanfare’ #47704
    Blooms nonstop from late spring into fall, across the country.
    2.5-inch pot, Zones 3-10
    1 for $9.95 each.
    3 for $9.00 each. Save $2.85

Tips for keeping plants cool and hydrated:
    • Until plants are well-established, water in thoroughly for 2 to 3 weeks.
    • Catch rainwater in barrels for use when rain is scarce.
    • Use water-conserving soaker hoses instead of overhead sprinkler systems.
    • Mulch with a quality organic material to keep roots cool and retain moisture levels in the soi.
    • Water in the morning so that plants have time to quench their thirsts before evaporation sets in.
    • Water less frequently but more deeply – this will encourage deeper root growth and will result in healthier, more drought-tolerant plants.
    • Water slowly to decrease runoff.
    • Keep weeds at a minimum, lessening competition for precious moisture.

Plants are shipped at the proper planting time for your region. Click here for details!

Our friendly Customer Service representatives are available to serve you
    Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
    Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time