One more new blogger welcome

15 Aug, '06

Iranian president Ahmadi Nejad meeting women parliamentariansThis time, it’s welcome to my good friend and neighbour: President Mahmood Ahmadi Nejad.

He’s only got the standard “Hello World” post at the moment which naturally enough is a biography of his good self, and in which he prays: “Oh Almighty God, please, we beg you to send us our Guardian- who You have promised us- soon and appoint us as His close companions.”

Natural enough for a first sentence in a first post.

But I think because he depends on Microsoft .NET technology, he’s still to complete the coding of his site and enable comments, as that just does not work. Even worse, it’s not compatible with any browser other than Internet Explorer, which regulars here would understand my complete distaste for using such an application. I would rather use FireFox or Safari, but those two just don’t work well enough on his site. I would have thought that the revolutionary gentleman would have insisted on using open source technologies for his site… but I guess pirated MS products adds a certain flavour, don’t you think?

What do you think? I certainly am awaiting his second post with baited breath. Rock on Mahmoodi!

Filed in: General

1. Hisham says:

Funny you mention that, for just last night I was writing about blogging, mentioning that perhaps the day will come when ministers will blog… now just imagine if the Minister of Information blogs, wouldn’t that be swell? I wonder how long his comments would go on about his Google Earth block post 🙂

2. Eric Jacobson says:

I just don’t know whether to laugh or cry: the President of Iran starts his own blog, but cannot (apparently) find anyone with the technical skill to set his site up properly. I can hear it now:

‘Hello? Is this the “IT support for the Islamic Revolution Helpdesk”? Yes, it’s me, the Prez. Listen, I want to set up one of those weblog things, I came across one from Bahrain called “Mahmood’s Din” or something like that, and it’s way cool, so could you send one of your web designer people to do one for me? What? They’ve all run off into exile and are designing sites in Bahrain? And in the UAE? AND in Jordan, too?’

[Pregnant pause]

‘What’s that? You DO have one designer? Good. Send him up. What do you mean, “his last name is Goldstein”? What sort of a name is that? Why would he be afraid to come up here and set up my site? You say he’s just run away from his desk and can’t be found? What sort of a helpdesk are you, anyway? Listen, I’m just gonna do this myself, okay?’

click

Hisham and Eric, thanks for the laughs, each in his own rights!! 😆

4. Penny says:

Mahmoud said: “His first poll is quite nice to participate in as well. In it he reasonably asks “Do you think that the US and Israeli intention and goal by attacking Lebanon is pulling the trigger for another word war?””

Is that a “Word war” as in a cold war? or a “World war”? Cause if he means the first, that is already going on but if he means the latter… well…. in order for Iran to get anywere, it will have to invent a means of communication w/o using the expertise of Bill Gates & co.

5. Penny says:

It so happens that I had the pleasure of meeting your Minister of Information at a couple of events in the UK last year and although I find many of you attacking him whenever possible, I should say that I found him to be a very intellectual, amicable fellow that was more than happy to answer all my rather unorthodox questions.
    I do beleive that you could learn to use a different method of seeking information from him, without needing to use sarcasm or derogatory remarks.

6. Eric Jacobson says:

Mahmood:

You are very welcome. One must laugh at this fellow (I suppose); it’s either that or worry about what he and his government are planning for the region.

Penny:

Hisham is quite right attacking the MinInfo. ALL government officials, de facto–around the world, whether German, American, Bahraini, Chinese, or Swazi–are objects of fun.

I mean: these people really think they’re important in the grand scheme of things, usually suffer delusions to that effect, are more often than not ex-lawyers, enough said, and thus are generally the LEAST suitable to hold any sort of government post.

Crikey. They deserve MORE laughter, not less. People like the Dalai Lama deserve respect; perhaps the Pope does; perhaps Tommy Lee Jones does (NOT Tommy Lee). But government officials? No. They are lower than, well, than the microbes which cause amoebic dysentery, and that’s saying something.

7. moclippa says:

I don’t know how much worth to give this but…

Within hours of posting his blog, a few Israeli bloggers were reporting that upon accessing a portion of his site (from Israeli addresses) their computers recived intrusion attempts akin to trojan activity. They’ve had little security alerts on their websites telling everyone in Israel to be wary about visiting the blog.

Everyone up here talking about the coding is spot on, its terrible…

Hehe, how can you trust the dude with nuclear energy when he can’t find a person to code-in a decent blog??

8. moclippa says:

Link to the site that announced the “alert”

Penny, glad you caught the spelling mistake, which I dutifully copied verbatim from the “other” Mahmood’s site!

As to our (dis)information minister, next time you do get to meet him again, please seriously consider keeping him. Intellectual or not, he’s way past his sell by date as far as Bahrain is concerned.

As to us unsarcastically asking for information from the government… hang on a minute, I have to adjust my seat:

HAHAHAHEHAHH HEHEHHEHAAA HEHAHHEHAHAHEHEHAH AHAHEH!

10. dag says:

Dear god, his first post is no less than 2300 words!

Might as well write a book… But then he’d probably have to take time off from being president… Which, when I think of it, doesn’t sound like such a bad idea, afterall!

11. Ingrid says:

D’you think he actually wrote that himself? That’s why ministers and presidents have staff. He might have written this one and it just got copied on the computer..and at the rate that Iran is part of the ‘axis of evil’, I hesitate to check out the blog lest I want the FBI/Homeland Security people knocking on my door!
    As for GIYUS, well, as Moclippa alluded to; consider the source..
    So with Iran trying good ol’ PR for getting a better reputation, it’s actually a great attempt, never mind that they’re not exactly tech savvy, but ..this is the age of the internet and you must give them 5 brownie points for trying!
    (At least he couldn’t do it any worse than if Bush were to start his own blog, he did not even know the difference between Shia and Sunni a few months before the invasion of Iraq, just think of all the ‘wonderful’ ignorance you could read on his blog…I’m sure someone could do the satire on that one!, Eric??)
    Ingrid

12. Chimi^ says:

GIYUS is known as Israel’s 101st keyboard division in the intranetweb ;P.

Apparently he is using alot of Web2.0 features on his website. It just need a little adjust for FireFox and other browsers.

14. Yay! Can’t wait to comment in a president’s blog 😛

15. Jared in NYC says:

One of my new favorite web places to visit has a very thoughtful commentary on President I’mamadinnerjacket:

16. Tom Penn says:

I wonder if he’s going to sling his own butt in jail: http://news.pajamasmedia.com/2006/08/13/10243376_Iranian_Censors_.shtml

“Iranian authorities are stepping up arrests and pressure on popular bloggers as part of a wider Internet clampdown launched after hard-liner Mahmoud Ahmadinejad became president last year, ending years of freewheeling Web access that once made Iran among the most vibrant online locales in the Middle East.”

You guys rally around such a screwed up bunch of heros.

17. Ash says:

Haha – I missed this post until now. We face not just a Word War or a Blog War but the worst of all possible wars – the War of Mahmoods. At his high-tech intergalactic doom desk in Tehran sits Evil Mahmood (aka Darth Mahmood), stirring his tea with the finger-bone of a ladyboy and plotting how to get his hands on a Death Star, the thousand and one ways to kill an infidel, and what to wear to greet the the Messiah when he arrives. Meanwhile, in nearby Bahrain, the Good Mahmood busies himself putting new batteries in his light sabre in readiness for the epic Battle of Mahmoods that will soon be fought on the planet of Tattooine.

18. Fanusi Khiyal says:

Wee problem… We’re already in a world war. We’ve been especially aware of this since September 11th. And before anyone whinges about Iraq, or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, allow me to point out that way more muslims have been killed by other muslims than by anyone else in this war.

If Iran gets nuclear weapons, kiss the Middle East goodbye. No country will escape unscarred by that kind of an exchange.