The Khabbaz

15 Sep, '06

The Khabbaz preparing to bake the traditional bread of Bahrain

The Khabbaz, originally uploaded by malyousif.

The baker preparing to slap the dough on the wall of the clay oven. This is the traditional way in which bread in Bahrain is baked. It is also called Iranian bread or Khobbiz (hence the baker in Arabic is called Khabbaz). This Khabbaz is in Saar village.

Khobbiz is a “must have” component in our household’s Friday Breakfast (vlog coming up!).

My Canon 20D is on the blink by the way, it just won’t switch on for some reason. So you have to put up with my mobile snaps until it’s fixed! Sorry.

Have a wonderful Friday! 🙂

Filed in: Culture

1. Kate says:

You made me feel hungry Mahmood, that’s the one thing I miss ( apart from you guys).

Well, you better come back and bring that bloody husband of yours to sort out that mess in Batelco and I’ll buy you as much Khobbiz as you like, I’ll even deliver it!! 😉

3. Gizmo says:

Oh man, you know mahmood these pictures make me sad really. Just reminds of your home town, the local baker, local resturant ( homos and falafel). Local friends that you grew up with, and I dont know why even though the picture just include a guy and khobbiz lol. Between im not from bahrain originaly so I dont know if that is a traditional bread made in bahrian or its just the while round bread that mostly all arabs eat? if its that, I’ve never heard anybody in mylife time calling it Iranian.

4. Sunrunner says:

Wow. This post brought back memories of my time in Iran 30 years ago (hard to believe I have gotten old enough to say something like that!). There was a bakery within a few blocks of everywhere you lived (we always had the good fortune to be across the street!) and we would just pop out for fresh bread before every meal!

Speaking of names, the most common bread in Iran was called babari (sp?), though I do remember this bread cooked on hot stones, which is the most ancient method of bread making in the world (exactly the way the native peoples of the Americas made corn tortillas).

I can smell it just thinking about it. Warm, with fresh feta, hot tea, some cukes and tomatoes in olive oil — yum, yum, yum.

5. Eric says:

Having just left Bahrain, I enjoy your pictures, and your commentary on life in the Kingdom. This picture particularly brought back memories of visiting a similar bakery in A’ali.

شكراً يا ألسيد محمود

6. Dear Mahmood,

Instead of hauling a Camera AND a phone in your pocket, get this:
    yes its a camera phone. No the concept is not new. But take a look, its 3.2 MP digital camera with auto focus, brightness control and a small xenon flash. Not to mention it has the sony Cybershot software on it so it feels like a camera.
    It takes really decent pictures so you wouldn’t have to ta….
    No I don’t work with Fakhro!
    Just thought you might use that sorta thing.

The comment in the vlog is misleading, the whole thing actually was shot with the K750i and I look forward to get the K800i for sure… anyone want to give me a present? No, don’t wait for my birthday, I’m talking right now! 🙂

8. Ingrid says:

Living in central TX unfortunately leaves me amidst a sea of tex mex food, which I am not particularly crazy about. Arabic food has always been my favourite although I do not know very much about the differences between all the cuisines except for some obvious ones (saudi khabsa, morrocan couscous etc). I used to love eating Zatar bread with coffee for breakfast and that’s what I am craving now seeing this picture..sigh.
    But, imagine my surprise, I have new, Yemeni neighbours! I went over to say hello and naturally, I got invited for some good Yemeni cuisine (after the wife comes here after Ramadan) and I can’t wait! Finally I am going to be able to eat some good Arabic food without having to endure the not so good Arabic restaurents in this city..happy me!!
    So Mahmoud, will you post on the special or particular foods you would eat during Ramadan? I figured we’d go and break the fast with my new neighbour and I am thinking if there is something besides dates that I could bring over and perhaps even make myself? (it’s all the thought that counts!)
    Ingrid

Food Series, yay! That’s an idea for a show that tv stations here pay decent money for… so now you have given me the excuse to go and buy a decent video camera and lights and mum will be the star!

Wanna pre-order some DVDs? 😉

10. jayjerome says:

The Bahrainian Emeril Lagasse?

Blam! Kick it up a notch!!