Dwarf Ixora

22 Sep, '06

Dwarf Ixora

Dwarf Ixora, originally uploaded by malyousif.

I like these new kinds of Ixoras we’ve got recently in Bahrain, there flowers are quite nice and miniature, they would add a nice splash of colour to any surround. I’ve got some in pots and others in borders; both work equally well.

I’ll be traveling for tonight, so have fun and I’ll see you when I come back…

Have a wonderful Friday guys!

Filed in: Thoughts

1. Gizmo says:

as usual, another breathtaking photo, have a wonderfull friday! mine is gonna be messed up due to alot of things to do!

2. A Saudi says:

We had two of the normal varieties at the entrance and I can tell you they were a delight to see every time you came in and out ,that is, until the flower head started shedding those generously endowed petals (thankfully the longevity of the flower itself is astonishing ) … the front pathway was a carpet of pink! It gave out a certain air to the place which was a bit too camp to my liking!

There is a blue and orange variety (ixora cocinnea or “flame of the woods”-quite spectacular) I don’t know if you can nab them in Bahrain but they might balance the garden’s colour palette somewhat.

I’ve got that and the yellow colour does add a nice touch to the garden! I’ve got maybe 5 or 6 Ixora varieties in the garden and I like them all.

4. tooners says:

these are pretty. did you get them at the new jassim’s? i think i might try some of these.

also, we’re going to plant some large trees in our yard. do you have any suggestions of some good ones for nice shade coverage? and.. are there any that provide shade but also flower?

thanks!

No I got them from Aalya garden centre on the Janabiyya highway, it’s right next to Al-Bader garden centre.

As to trees, I’m really quite partial to Royal Poinciana (May Flower or Fire Tree) as it does grow big, and it goes into full bright red and yellow bloom every May (hence the name) but also it is quite generous as it doesn’t block the sun from reaching the ground, it provides dappled shade that birds love and plants under it even more so.

I’ve also planted a Banyan tree outside, that gets to be quite monstrous and it doesn’t flower, but its leaves and shape is quite nice.

Nothing of course tops a good date palm if you have the space for them, plant them!

6. Louisa says:

Mahmood re your Banyan, monstrous is not the word. They get to be gigantic. They also demand huge amounts of water and send enormous strangling roots to locate, and they just love swimming pool pipes and underground sewage or water pipes to the house. I hope your banyan is at least half a kilometer from your house!

okay then…. banyan trees are out!

8. Barry says:

Ixoras are gorgeous plants!

Mahmood, if you can find a source, you may want to grow a rock fig, Ficus palmeri, which grows in the desert areas of Baja California (Mexico). They grow on great boulders, and like their strangler cousins, germinate in a rock crevice, send out aerial roots in search of moist soil. Usually they look like big white wooden waterfalls as they grow on the surface of boulders. They have swollen caudexes (water storage tissue). They do like water, but obviously tolerate desert dryness better.

Here’s one growing in Tucson:

Ficus palmeri – Rock Fig (in ground)

(I hope that worked)

I agree with the date palms. They are gorgeous. We have them here in Monterey (California), but they never fruit (too cool and moist). Our usual palm is the Canary Island Date (Phoenix canariensis).

I second the Royal Poinciana. I haven’t seen a tropical tree which can top its showstopping beauty. It’s far too cold here to grow them, but we can grow a similar tree (in flower color), Corymbia ficifolia, the Red Flowering Gum:

That one is just starting to go into flower, and best of all, it receives no care at all. It has had none for 12 years, growing in the barracks area of the shut down army base here in Monterey. In full bloom and at their best they can be covered in bright scarlet flowers, obscuring the foliage, and looking like a rounder Royal Poinciana.

9. Barry says:

Der, sorry, the image showed in the preview, but not when submitted. Anyway, here’s the link to the Red Flowering Gum that was supposed to show between the second to last and last paragraphs:

Corymbia ficifolia – Red Flowering Gum

That Ficus is unbelievable Barry! I never knew they could grow that tall.

I have a few ficuses around the garden; golden ficus, ficus panda, and what I like to call “normal” ficus which has grown now to about 12 feet, but I cut its sides as it was taking over the whole planter! We also have some variegated ficus indoors.

I was looking for a tree to plant at the back of the house to provide a nice shade for the dogs and I noticed the following at the Ritz which I think would be ideal. I just called the chief gardener and he told me that it is a Cassia Fistula (Golden Shower Tree) and I know it’s going to be ideal for that location. I’ve got to find out where to get it from in Bahrain now.

That Red Flowering Gum is glorious isn’t it? Truly fantastic.

Found them! I’m picking up two Cassia Fistulas tomorrow morning at 10am!

Cassia Fistula (Golden Shower Tree) Photoset on Flickr
    Cassia Fistula at the Ritz

me happy cookie! 😀

12. Barry says:

Figs can grow to be monstrous. That rock fig isn’t even close to how big some of them can get. There’s a Moreton Bay Fig in Santa Barbara which is about a 3 hour drive south of where I am which was planted in the 1800’s near the train station that is about 80 feet high, but is close to 176 feet wide. The roots are massive and like snakes. Truly amazing:

Ficus macrophylla – Moreton Bay Fig

Barry that is truly amazing. What a wonderful setting too and to tell you the truth, it makes me sick! As I compare the Moreton Bay Fig with the beglected Bahrain’s Tree of Life.

14. Barry says:

What an amazing tree, and quite a treasure! I hope that tree stands for generations.

The fig in Santa Barbara stands a bit neglected. It’s certainly one of the biggest in California (figs, that is). Such a shame because it is gorgeous.

I am always amazed by botanical oddities. Where I live in California, we have a few relict species, from the time when California was much moisture. Our famous cypress (Cupressus macrocarpa) only grows in two native stands (i’ve been to one, it’s very haunting). Our local pine exists in five small spots (and two of them are on islands off of Mexico’s coast, Pinus radiata). The redwoods as well are relicts, restricted to the foggy and wet coasts where if we had no fog, it would be as dry and near desert as Southen California originally was.

15. I live in Muscat and may I benefit from some advice?

I dream of setting up a cluster of about 4-5 pots all put into one wooden container and I love to see a riot of colour.

We have a East facing balcony that gets a lot of sun till about 11 am.

What plants would you recommend? Other than Wedelia and Portulaca I cant think of any other hardy perennial. And I cant think of any plant just for green foliage.

Are they big pots? If they are (40cm diameter or bigger) I would put the following into pots and then cluster the pots until you reach the optimum arrangement:

1. Golden ficus
    2. Ixora (choose red/pink/yellow) you can even put a couple of plants per pot, or one of the larger varieties and then at the front of the pot a couple of dwarfs.
    3. vinca (perrywinkle)
    4. asparagus (use as bedding material or even in a smaller pot that you can place conveniently)
    5. Adenium (Desert rose)
    and for the background you can have small
    6. Coconut palm, and/or
    7. Washingtonia

have fun!

17. Thanks so much. The pots are large and I look forward to the visit to the nursery (muscat has too few 🙁 this week-end.

One plant I will have which does wonderfully in this climate is Coleus aromaticus, a very pretty plant, edible (since becoming a mum this qualification matters!), has medicinal value but most of all for me its very hardy, loves the sun and looks so green and lovely.

Thanks once again!