Catch the pigeon!

4 Oct, '06

Dr. Salah Al-Bandar, author of the Bandargate reportWell, the pigeon has already flown away, and the government itself opened the cage’s doors for it to be set free (in fact, they couldn’t wait for it to get the hell away from the island) but now they seem to have a change of heart.

Spilt milk anyone?

Okay okay another one, and this is from our Bahraini culture:

He couldn’t manage the donkey, so he broke the cart!

Guys, you’re not doing yourselves any good.

Forget the person but try to understand the message and fix the wrongs it has brought to the surface. This is Bahrain’s golden opportunity to unite ALL the people, this is the golden opportunity to defeat sectarianism, this is the golden opportunity to retrieve this country form the brink of catastrophe.

Unfortunately the only thing that seems to be happening since Bandargate is attack the person and burry the message! Are you kidding me? I would frame Al-Bandar’s picture and hang it officially in every office in the island and declare him a saint that created the required catalyst for intrinsic and lasting change for the better in Bahrain!

Yet what they’re doing is continue to push the country to the brink, or I am sure they will try to create another catastrophe to try to get people busier with that one in the hope that they will forget the previous one.. and why not? They’ve succeeded several times before.

update 1255: Al-Bandar will appear in a news program on the Iranian Al-Alam satellite TV channel this afternoon at 14:30 19:30 local, 16:30 UTC I am told.

Filed in: General

Al-bandar Isnt a very happy man. I read in this morning’s GDN that he has plans to:

– Translate the whole report into english and Send it to 16 foreign ministries in europe & 150 NGOs

– Meet the European Commission next week

– Meet Lord Avebury tomorrow including a press pool

– Meet Foreign Sec. Margaret Beckett + other officials

2. Askad says:

I heard that Al-Bandar has an interview on tv (Al Alam TV) & (Al Kawthar) at 2:30PM Bahrain Time. (Im not sure but ill have a look and see)

Im waiting to see what he has to say to clarify alot of things. :yes:

3. can we talk now says:

it’s the first detailed article I have seen and has a link to the whole thing in arabic at the bottom

their recommendations at the end are so disgusting. It sounds as if they are talking about enemies

4. can we talk now says:

can you access this from inside bahrain?

yes we can.

you mean the “recommendations” of the report, or those of the BCHR?

6. can we talk now says:

no, the last few pages of the report, what they should do to redress the balance. the derogatory language, us and them.. horrible, it sounded nazi ish

7. Fatman says:

Unfortunately, it seems like the Sunnis still don’t realize that this cancer is going to one day affect them too. The fact that the Sunni societies met with Atiyetellah last week when all the major societies refused to was a real disgrace.

Once our blood gets mixed together and we start to intermarry with these imported Bedouins, there’ll be no turning back. If nothing is done about this at the government level, don’t be suprised if secret death squads form and go after these mercenaries (sp?) and personally take care of them. I was at the last rally and saw the passion and hot-headedness of a lot of the youth.

Al-Khalifa won’t rule Bahrain forever.

8. haythoo says:

update 1255: Al-Bandar will appear in a news program on the Iranian Al-Alam satellite TV channel this afternoon at 14:30 I am told.

16:30 GHT

19:30 BHR

thanks Haythoo.. I was about to cancel that thing as it didn’t (obviously) air.

10. Sunrunner says:

OT I know, but I LOVE the new site design/theme Mahmood!

11. Ehsan says:

The interview is on Al-Kawthar right now, not on Al Alam.

12. 0110101 says:

yes it was at alkawthar just finished watching that.

I’m sure it will make an appearance on YouTube and/or Google Video soon. My blood pressure is still too high to actually comment on it though.. that will have to wait ’till the morning.

Sunnrunner thanks. It’s a theme that has just been released and I fell in love with it due mainly to its simplicity, and thanks to the “widgets” engine in WordPress 2, moving from the previous theme to this one was a snitch! I’ve still to do a couple of house-cleaning jobs on it, but it seems to be okay.

Any objections/feedback from y’all out there?

14. Yousif says:

If you missed it and you can’t wait for the YouTubes/Google Videos here are the voice recording of the whole interview. Blood boiling indeed.

15. Yousif says:

ps. The new theme is way much better than the previous one. I particularly like the links on the top and how comments are displayed.

so much for freedom of speech

PUBLISHING NEWS ON AL BANDER CASE NO LONGER ALLOWED

date: 04 10, 2006

MANAMA OCT. 4 (BNA) THE SENIOR CRIMINAL COURT ISSUED A DECISION TODAY PREVENTING THE PUBLISHING OF ANY NEWS, COMMENTS OR INFORMATION REGARDING THE CASE OF SALAH AL BANDER, WHO WAS ACCUSED OF SEIZING STATE OWNED DOCUMENTS AND STEALING TWO PRIVATE CHEQUES.
    THE DECISION WAS BASED ON ARTICLES 40 AND 71 OF DECREE BY LAW 47 FOR 2002, GOVERNING THE PRESS, PRINTING AND PUBLICATIONS. THE DECISION CAME AFTER SOME NEWSPAPERS HAD WRITTEN ABOUT THE CASE IN A WAY THAT COULD HARM NATIONAL INTERESTS, SOW SEDITION AND SENSITIVITY AMONG MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITY AND INFLUENCE THE COURT. THESE NEWSPAPERS WERE WRITING ABOUT INCIDENTS THAT WERE NEITHER SUPPORTED BY DOCUMENTS, NOR PRESENTED TO THE PUBLIC PROSECUTION NOR VERIFIED BY ANY MEANS.

17. ...and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. says:

a cautionary word to all of you investors out here (and there!). Re-evaluate and assess your exit plans. The information is alarming to say the least…

18. Bahrainiac says:

ASKAD, great links!:wink: As an expat that has lived here over 10 years I am also deeply upset. I would hate to see this beautiful little island torn apart by sectarian strife. :no:

ASKAD, great links! As an expat that has lived here over 10 years I am also deeply upset. I would hate to see this beautiful little island torn apart by sectarian strife.

I’m not so sure, although I’m described sometimes as the eternal optimist, I find myself in the doldrums at the moment with the continuing status quo as if nothing has happened.

21. milter says:

I’ve been following the topic of “Bandargate” for a while now and I’ve beem trying to figure out what the h*** it’s all about.

I’ve been trying to look for clues on the net as to what is really happening, but I haven’t seen anything, yet, that satisfies me.

Yes, I know Mr. Al-Bandar has made some copies available to the public about “irregularities” in the voting campaign in Bahrain, about statements, about attempts to try to explain them and about attemps to forbid these publications.

I understand the indignation and anger of people that feel they are being manipulated. But has anybody tried to look at the possibility that Al-Bandar may have had his own political/religious reasons to publish these documents?

I’m just looking at the fact that an interview with him seems to have been made on an Iranian television program and I don’t think any Iranian television station would air anything that would go against the views of the Iranian regime.

And I don’t think the Iranian regime would sanction any views that support a liberal and democratic society.

Maybe I’ve overlooked an important factor?

22. can we talk now says:

the election is just a small part of it. it is a detailed step by step plan of action to change the country demographically, politically and socially, to put it simply.
    extreme ethnic discrimination with long term goals
    naming names and amounts
    very easy to investigate.. a prosecutor’s dream, photocopies of checks & everything.

those two links above are totally clueless. the first one is nonsense and te second one is very general. it doesn’t say anything.

you need a better source of information

23. Fatman says:

>>Maybe I’ve overlooked an important factor?

Worrying about Bender’s true motivations and intents is I think irrelevant because it’s not like he blew the whistle on something that no one knew anything about. The opposition has been complaining about the things he talks about in his report for years. Now though it finally has the missing piece of the puzzle: documented evidence.

24. milter,
    1) The Al-Bandar’s report is not about “irregularities” in the voting campaign, nor it is about the voting campain at all. It is about a secret web tryig to change the whole country.
    2) He didn’t make some copies available to the public, he made ‘Plenty’ of them, it is actually the bulk of the report, published as proving documents.
    3) Al-Bandar’s political/religious reasons and intentions are totally irrelevant to the issue; is the report correct or not? are the documents true or fake? btw Ahmed Attiyatallah annouced that they are true. So, at least an explaination is required. They government not only not starting a investigation, they actually just ignoring the whole issue as if there is nothing there. There was zero comment from any official regarding the report, other than oh, it is a fake report, full stop.
    4) He is also having meetings with UK MPs, so does this make him a spy for UK? I think people are so naive when it comes to Iran. Just because the interviews was done on an iranian TV doesn’t …. forget it.
    5) Have you overlooked an important factor? what about the fact that Al-Bandar didnt say anything new that the people of Bahrain didn’t know before, we know and see much more in our everyday life. what he did is to provide the documents that prove it.. in writing.

—————-
    Mahmood,
    I am missing the direct url to individual comments so I can link to them in my reply.

25. can we talk now says:

after listening to those links above from yousif, of the interviews with Bandar and Aziz, I’m really dissapointed with the interview itself. the interviewer was so out of his depth, and the questions he asked showed that he hadn’t even read or seen the report himself, because they wouldn’t make sense if he had!

our media really is rubbish, even when a scoop is handed to them on a plate, they don’t know how to use it. have they never heard of research??

We could do with a Tim Sebastian right about know.

suggestions to have more media innfluence and clean up our image are laughable when very few of us know how to use it

26. ...and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes says:

Its gathering pace…

stay tuned.

27. jasra jedi says:

Anon,

You state “Don’t worry about investment in Bahrain,It will be a gold mine in 3-5 years whatever happens.
    We are all upset, but I’m 100% sure no sectarian war will happen, not even a slap on the face.”

And your confidence is coming from … where? Please do share, because we are all in dire need of hope …

28. milter says:

Salman Al-Rahma,

You wrote:

I would have agreed with you if I was convinced Salah al-Bandar’s motives stemmed from a wish to work for a truly secular and democratic constitution. But I’m not at all convinced.

When you dig a little bit into the background of the players on the political scene in The Middle East, you invariably end up finding some kind of religious affiliation.

The names of NGO’s and political parties may look fancy on the surface but, their interpretations of concepts like “equality”, “freedom”, “democracy”, “human rights”, etc. always seem to be based on their religious stance. Take the concept of “Human rights”. As far as I know there are 3 different organizations in Bahrain that claim to be fighting for them.

So, yes, I agree that Al-Bandar’s intentions may be irrelevant, but are you sure the people that are backing him, want to create a Bahrain that is what you want?

Am I right that Al-Bandar’s campaign is receiving a lot of support from Al Wefaq and Bahrain Centre for Human Rights?

29. can we talk now says:

Milter
    but even if one doesn’t agree with the principles of those who are now supporting him who may have their own agedas, that does not take anything away from the information he presented, does it?
    causes make strange bedfellows sometimes..

at the end of the day, I think it should be the unity of the country and the equality of its people that we root for, regardless of whether or not we agree on other issues with the other people who are fighting for that cause..

maybe I am being naive and should be more careful who I agree with, in case this particular opposition become more powerful and turn my country into a place I cannot live in for other reasons, but in the meantime the alternative, of remaining quiet and allowing people to get away with such blatant sectarian strategy, against any group of our country’s people, and letting it be swept under the carpet without penalty, is simply hard to live with

how can I call myself bahraini and close my eyes while people play havoc with Bahrain?

Evil wins, when good people do nothing..

30. milter says:

can we talk now,

You wrote:

No, you’re completely right about that. And, like I said earlier, I understand your anger and disappointement. But the question is, how do you make the best use of that anger?

Do you use it to get back at the culprits, to get revenge. Or do you use it to learn from, to ask yourself: “What made these people do this?” (and that goes for both those that committed the injustice and those that are trying to benefit from it).

The main goal of most of these people is POWER.

If you’re 100% convinced these people will use their influence to help your cause, then support them. But, if you have the slightest bit of doubt, then question them over and over again what they intend to use your support for.

Wishing to have power and influence is not necessarily a bad trait, in fact most politicians probably have that wish. The difference lies in how they intend to use that power.

And in this case I have a suspicion some people are trying to use the anger it has created to further their own undemocratic interests.

I may be wrong, it’s difficult from here (Denmark) to see exactly who is saying what and who is supporting whom. But, as far as I can see, a lot of the people that are supporting Al-Bandar and gaining influence from it, are people that don’t have a free, democratic society at the top of their agendas

That could be true milter, but that is irrelevant. The main thing that the report highlights is the complete disparate nature of the people of this tiny country and shows how divisive it has become, especially over the last 30 – 40 years. The recommendation, of course, is the warning that it can get infinitely worse if not corrected. It is this that we are concerned with now. It’s not the “I told you so” but the working of all sides to defeat this divisive policy.

It’s been 3 weeks since the report was made public knowledge, and we completely see how unwilling this government is to face the facts, in fact, in their refusal to acknowledge the wrongs, they have completely acknowledged their own culpability.

And when you hear how people are now talking about it, trying to reach the main source of funds and ideologies in trying to draw inference of Ahmed Attiyatallah’s loyalties… it is the king and the crown prince who are pointed at. Unfamiliar territory I can tell you, as they both were looked at as saviours rather than instigators of hate.

32. milter says:

Mahmood,

That could be true milter, but that is irrelevant.

I don’t agree. But then maybe I can afford to disagree because I have the privilige of living in a country where the actions and intentions of both sides would have been exposed by the press and those guilty of breaking the law would be punished in a court case. And I wouldn’t have to resort to sharing my anger with people whose political aims I really disagreed with.

If your aim is to find somebody who will share your disgust, then you probably don’t have much choise. If you only have “bad”, “worse” and “worst” to choose from, well, then it is pretty hard.

But, if you in your anger end up aiding groups that don’t really share the values you consider vital, then you’ll just end up adding another piece to that vicious circle of hate and division.

You mention the divide between various groups in Bahrain as one, maybe the most important one, of your problems today. I agree with that, but you don’t help in breaking down that divide by supporting people that will just create new ones.

I know it’s a long term battle, but I see blogs like yours as one of the ways to create new groups of people that can gather political influence acros those lines that have been created by religion and clans.