24th Gathering

3 Nov, '06

That was a good gathering last night at my house! Thanks to all who came, it was very enjoyable indeed, but next time, please don’t bring kids with you unless they are on tranquilizers, drugged, or asleep! =P

I await our good friend binShehab (who is also once again highly encouraged to flex his fingers and start posting again!) to upload the millions of pictures he took so that we all can see the silly expression on our faces and the various heated hand-gestures 🙂 It was good.

Stephen the BarristaMade even better by the good folks at iMachines donating three full trays of healthy and wholesome, organic, zero-processed-anything-content which much more importantly than all of that went down a treat with the ballerinaesque delicacy of the Elle coffee ably served by the coffee maestro Stephen bedecked with a bow tie and a lovely smile!

The delicious cookies and cupcakes were from Vida Sandwich Bar, just next to iMachines behind the Passport Directorate in Hoora. I have no hesitation whatsoever recommending both whole-heartedly: Vida for your healthy body, and iMachines for your healthy mind!

Arif and Amna on the Segways at homeAdd to that the fun factor which Arif and I have had this morning; we just came back in the house after about an hour going crazy all over the neighbourhood in those Segways!

The kids left marking tunnels all over my lovely lawn when they were trying them out last night (I’m sending you the repair bill Sofyan!) This morning however, I used them to chase Arif around in the neighbourhood AND take the dogs for a run (rather than walk!) cut short by a bloody twit on a crapped out bike who was so terrified of Gnasher that he chose, yes CHOSE, to run into me with me on the bloody Segway going at 15kph or more! If the bastard didn’t have an ax with him on his bike I would have run the bugger over again and again and again until he turns to pulp. Bastard. I think he definitely is a kind of God’s joke on humanity.

Anyway, both semi-intelligent objects are okay, the Segway and the guy, that is.

Back to the actual gathering, I was honoured to have Ali Abdulimam come over, the first time ever he joined us, and let me tell you guys, he’s no ogre, he surprised me completely as I had built that stereotype on him as well, especially after you read his articles on this blog which always show his disolutionment and frustration with the establishment, but he is no religious extremist. He even came in with a Ché cap on! More important than that he disagreed with Tawfiq Al-Rayyash, a good friend who showed his keenness of coming to the gathering by coming directly from the airport to the gathering! Good on you mate, and thanks also go to Mahmood Al-Adraj (fix your RSS feeds man!) who picked him up.

I was glad that Mohammed Al-Maskati came too, he’s the guy – with Esra’a – who are behind http://iwantmymtv.org site and the petitions and other activities during the blocking of my site time.

That and Hisham Khalifa as well as a new guy Mohammed Al-Qassab as well as Suad (1st timers) and Salman Rahmah (and his two hyper kids), we had a really mixed bag of ideologies so the discussions were very spirited, but good natured. Our discussions of course ranged from the blocking of websites, what are we to do about them, as well as the current elections and how might we best benefit from them in providing coverage in our blogs etc. So you might see some results of these points raised in our blogs soon.

The next gathering is on the first Thursday in December, on the 7th at 8pm as usual. Where do you want to meet next time then? Back to the Seef district again?

Filed in: General

1. Suad says:

Thank you very much for the great evening and the warm hospitality, I really enjoyed my time last night. I would like also to thank your wife, Frances, she made me feel comfortable and at home. You are lucky to have such a kind and sweet wife.

I am happy to have had the chance to meet you and the rest of the bloggers and friends. You won’t believe guys that reading your blogs made me feel as if I know you all. The image I had about each one of you didn’t change after meeting you.

P.S. Thanks for the lovely flower, I tried to keep it alive as much as I can, but I was forced to arrange for its funeral today morning

=(

2. Akkad says:

Well done Mahmood and the rest of the bloggers. I am delighted all went so well for you.

3. Costa-guy says:

Hi.. Congratualtions on your site..

Happy to see it again..

You are one fanteeka (amazing) guy..

Your campaign hits the last pages..

Your site blocking makes first pages..

Your site unblocking makes first pages too..

Your site topics are derived from the middle pages :grinnod:

All in an election year..

أقول إذا عندك واسطة سوي لينا حل، أحتاج واسطة في هالبلد 8)

4. Suad says:

By the way, I loved the muffins and cookies.. yummy yummy. My sisters tried to grip some of them but I didn’t give them a chance

5. chrisamillion says:

Hi Mahmood!

Sorry to hear that i missed the party! You’ll have to have another on in December when I’m there!

Also, you may be interestedto know that I got to your site today by searching for ‘Bahrain’ on google news! yours was the second site on the list!

Keep having fun!

Chris

6. Suad says:

Waaaaw .. I checked that now, your story is the second on the list.

God knows what will happen next .. may be we will find your house map when we search for Bahrain on Google Earth 😆

7. H says:

ehm.. coughiwastheretoocough.. 🙄

About covering election news, I will be going to one of those tents put up in Isa Town this coming week. I’m thinking of taking my miniDV camera and get some field footage.

I was also thinking if I should take the Just Bahraini Buttons with me to hand them out, but I wasn’t sure if that would be a good idea. Mahmood, do you think it would be alright to do so? ofcourse I would be asking her (the candidate) for permission.

8. I am very glad I managed to escape early from . The discussions were very interesting and intellectual, although there was no chance to meet and talk with all the attendees, specially with two WMDs in the loose. Mind you, those were acting in Demo mode last night 🙂 . BTW, only one is MY kid, the other is his cousin, the lovely culprit responsible for damaging your cushion 🙂
    And a big thank you for your son and daughters for looking after them.

H. sorry about that!

Salman, no problem, Amna actually liked looking after Mohammed, and WMDs is the right way to put it!

I just completely forgot how much patience they actually require from parents and how much a nuisance they can become to anyone else! The last time I had a kid as old as yours was 10 years ago, and I swear to you, that no matter what happens and how much money I am given, I will NEVER have children again! =D

Good luck with them.

The next meeting is going to be at the Country Club bar, so I don’t think it would be appropriate for them to be around then.

10. Suad says:

The buttons you gave me have disappeared. I gave my niece and nephew some of them. I fixed one on my teddy bear shirt and another one on my laptop case and now all my friends are jealous .. They want to copy the idea =P

Hear’s the deal Suad, take some pictures on how you used those buttons (on your or any other object) and contribute them to the Just Bahraini Flickr group and I’ll give you as many as you want more!

Deal?

12. Suad says:

I already did :yes:

But I think the pictures quality is not that good. =(

I sent them by email to you. Let me know what do you think.

13. Ali says:

Ahh… seems I missed out on all the fun!:smile:

But it was just too short notice for me to make it. Hope to see you soon though Mahmood.

14. can we talk now says:

Mahmood

i need to talk to you about something urgent. can i use the mahmood@gbps.tv address, or is there another one?
    thanx

15. الماحوزي says:

Mahmood God Boy …. God Boy …. Good Boy
    Focus only on youer gathering , good food & drinks and Do not interfere in politic.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

16. B says:

That’s definitely a Abdulemam impersonator who crashed the meeting. Will the real abdulemam please stand up? Clue: should be wearing islamist gear of turban, beard and speaks irrationally.

17. moodZ says:

It was a remarkable night to remember, everything was just set for perfection. Heck even the sofa’s were set up as if we were in some sort of a round table discussion.. Oh and the cookies!

I appreciate your “Bedouin” hospitality there Mahmood, but whatsup with the democracy you are practicing with the meet-up places those past couple of months?!

moodZ, where would you like to meet the next time? Usually when I ask this question I would get 20 different places suggested by as many people and we never reach a decision until the day of the meeting!

This time, we have another month to decide, so can we do that?

Ah, I see that something flushed the worms out… let’s see how long it takes for them to crawl back to their holes…

20. Johnster says:

Hello Everyone and greetings from new York. I am here for a month and so unfortunately have missed all the kerfuffle and also the monthly meeting. So glad to see the site back up and acccesible!

Johnster

21. Pamela says:

Congratulations on a successful gathering, and I must say it is so good to read your blog.

Mahmood, does your wife have a blog? I need culinary advice. I’m making my shopping list out, and I am just so tired of making the same things all the time. Right now I have no motivation to go shopping besides getting a few must have “bathroom” supplies!

22. moodZ says:

Honestly speaking, the “Country Club” is the best venue we tried. Quite, cozy and big enough for all of us.

It’s just that so many of the attendees wouldn’t really feel comfortable.

23. Mahmood says:

Neither for me, I think.

24. Mahmood,
    I have made two comments (repeated) that didn’t show up in this post. can you check please?

p.s. could be the third 🙂

25. Mahmood says says:

Neither for me, I think.

strange thing with the spam filter… let me check.

moodZ I liked the place too and my vote is with the CC.

as to people didn’t like it, did you not notice that none of the original group bother coming to the meetings any more? so it cuts both ways and we need to find a better solution to include all rather than side so completely with one group. Of course their absence can be completely to different reasons, so e

27. amal says:

CC sounds good!

too bad i couldn’t make it this time, won’t miss the next meeting 😉

28. BinShehab says:

Thank you Mahmoud and your family for having us and it was very nice of them, it was very nice meeting and I loved the cokes and the muffins 8) .
    As for the photos, I will upload them as soon as I can.
    Next month meeting place should be in a tent at Sakheer since the camping session will be open soon, for me the place has second priority the first is going to topics and the structure of the meeting, one thing that I found is when the gathering getting larger is every 3 people talking about different topic, I rather had one topic at a time.
    Also I would like to welcome the new faces that show up to the meeting and I wish they will continue be part of our monthly meeting.

29. Meggie says:

That bloke on the bike must have seen his whole life flashing in front of him. I can’t help wondering what he told his missus when he arrived home all dishevelled, and covered in segway prints and dog hairs…

Reminds me of the occasion when I was standing behind a big buxom lass at a party, and she swung round without warning. I didn’t know what the hell had happened, all I knew was it suddenly went dark and I was suffocating.

Meggie

30. Richy says:

I will join you on December 7

31. BinShehab says:

Sorry being late to post the 24th BBM photos, please follow the link see the photos http://www.binshehab.com/photo/thumbnails.php?album=2Have FUN…