First hand Hajj experience

4 Jan, '07

My friend Rami just came back from performing the Hajj Al-Kabeer (the Grand Pilgrimage) and he came back with a lot of pictures which he thankfully just posted so we too can live the experience through his eyes.

These are some of the pictures he took, mostly with his mobile phone, and they do cover a lot of the things which he insists that I should experience first hand before too long too!

Rami's Hajj Rami's Hajj Rami's Hajj

My brother Jamal, his wife, our mother as well as our friend, blogger and cinematographer extraordinaire Hisham Khalifa (no relation to Rami!) have also performed the Hajj this year and they all came with wonderful stories to tell and all praise for this year’s organisation. Some even said that the Hajj this year was “too easy” and they don’t feel that they have suffered enough to be on a “real Hajj!”

Well, regardless, I wish them all that their Hajj is accepted by Allah and their misdemeanors forgiven

حجٌّ مقبول و ذًنْبٌ مغفور إن شاء الله

Filed in: Thoughts

1. Maverick says:

May Allah accept their Hajj and enrich their lives with good health, peace and prosperity. The photos are beautiful and give us a chance to see the Hajj pilgrims in reality and in daily movement through their religious experience. I can see how difficult it is to even get close enought to the Kaaba for a detailed photo.

2. F says:

Salaams,

Hajj is an amazing experience. I completed mine
    many years back. One aspect that resonated throughout was patience.

On the issue of Hajj-Al-Kabeer, many told me that it is so called if Arafat falls on a Friday. However, I was corrected by many informed scholars
    that Hajj is Hajj regardless of which day Arafat falls on.

Salaams 🙂

3. Ahmed says:

Aren’t pictures forbidden by the islam ?

With a name like “Ahmed”, you should know. So why don’t you enlighten us.

5. Hisham says:

Hajj gives each and everyone of us tailormade, individual lessons as we go through the “manasek” or rites. At least that’s the way it seemed to me.

It was tiring, but fun. It’s a spiritual bootcamp if you will. Highly recommended.

6. Maverick says:

Aren’t pictures forbidden by the islam ?

What kind of a statement is that? 🙁

Do you have to Islamize everything? It is statements like these that upset people and give Islam the misunderstanding it does not deserve.

Islam does not forbid photos? Humans misunderstand intentions and forbid photos. Islam merely warns people against false representation and worship. If God had wanted us to remember Mohammed and Jesus for their faces rather than their preeching, then cameras would have been invented first and painters would have existed in their professional capacity near these dear prophets.
    :happy: 🙂
    If people were to paint pictures of prophets, then the sentiments of some get hurt. And some misguided persons start worshipping and venerating these photos instead of God and this is what Islam warns against. 🙂

Holy Bible versions for Children has pictures in it but this never misguided me as to how people must look or be looked upon. It is your attitude and perception that is important. The wolf in sheeps clothing is a good example of what I am trying to state.

To me it makes no sense debating the length of a prophets beard or how may wives he had or if he really was white or black. Their words of wisdom is the wealth that they have left behind for us as guidance. Sorry to rant on but I felt that it is time people start realising that religion is our personal relationship with God, irrespective of the fact that some of us pray together and some don’t, the relationship is private and personal. Sharing such a beautiful experience enriched with beautiful photos serves as an encouragement towards others who may not know the reality of the experience till they get a chance to do so themselves plus it give a colorfu insight into one type of Falah performed by the wondrous variety of humans that Allah has created!

7. “If it were not difficult, it wouldn’t be Hajj”.

With all modern amenities, Hajj has become easier than ever. Imagine Ibn Battuta who once famously said “If I have to die, let it be on the way to Mecca.”. Ibn Battuta was a 14th-century Moroccan who in 1325 set out on a journey three times as long as Marco Polo’s.

May Allah give us opportunity to perform this obligation in its true spirit.