Seeds planted

6 Jan, '07

The weather is finally good enough to plant the seeds my friend Patty sent me last summer. I’ve put each packet in an individual planter and tagged them.

Patty's Seeds

Now, I just have to wait a few weeks to hopefully realise the investment. Needless to say, I’ll keep you posted!

Filed in: Thoughts

1. Barry says:

Ah! You’ve got some California Poppy seeds! For us, they spread around the garden (which could be a good thing). We have them come up every year, filling the yard with orange. They’re one of the few native flowers which I’d call a “weed” in their own home. Here’s a link to an image showing the display of flowers in Antelope Valley (Near Los Angeles):

Since I think you’d find this pretty, here’s one of a valley ner Gorman (close to the sme place) with sky lupine (Lupinus nana), California Poppies (Eschscholtzia california), Goldfields (Lasthenia californica), and other unidentified flowers.

OH MY GOD! Those are beautiful pictures and I hope that one day I can visit just to sit nearby those fields and soak up the beauty.

I planted everything in planters in preparation for replanting them in their final destination. The only seeds I put in the ground were the Zinnias. Now I can’t wait for everything to germinate..

hang on, I need a bigger garden.. right, I’ll knock down the house and pitch a couple of tents to sleep in! 😆

3. tooners says:

ooooh, I love Poppy flowers! You have some nice packets here. I brought some California wild flower seeds back from the States this past Feb. and planted them a few wks back, but none of them came up. I was so disappointed. If yours work, I might have my mother send me some packets of flowers and try them in pots, like you. Much success w/ these flowers and I can’t wait to see the pics! :sideways:

4. Barry says:

It’s amazing. Lancaster is essentially desert (they get less than 8 inches of rain a year). It’s usually bone dry most of the year, but winter rains bring spring flowers like that. That’s a shot of what California probably looked like before people moved in. Most of our flowers are easy to grow, but one is notoriously difficult, Romneya coulteri. If they like your garden, they are hard to get rid of. I’ve seen some about 8 feet tall, and the flowers are like huge fried eggs (white petals, a round globe of lemon yellow stamens). I hope mine will take off after winter ends. It’s easier to grow divisions as the seeds need fire to sprout. But here’s a display at Strybing Arboretum in San Francisco (I highly reccomend it. Somedy I’ll get up the pictures I took there to share with you). Strybing has nothing but plants from every continent (well, except Antartica) which can grow out in the open in San Francisco.

I have so much garden space, I really don’t know what to do with it all. Even with planned lawn, the planting areas are huge, but I am trying to fill some of it with proteaceous plants (Proteas, Leucaspermums, Grivillea, etc), as they do so well in our climate. I’ve got a few natives, and some desert dwellers, as well as the fastest plant I’ve ever planted, Paraserianthes lophantha, which grew from a seed two years ago into a 12 foot tall tree which is already flowering (it has inconspicuous greenish white flowers… shame, too bad they weren’t pink!).

5. Patty says:

The offer of a California vacation still stands…. and if you come during the winter, you can go see the desert flowers and the kids can go skiing (Frances and I will go shopping, no matter when you come!)

P!

6. Laurie says:

You’ll post pictures when your flowers come up? Not just when they’re blooming; little green sprouts coming up always give hope.

Nothing is blooming here right now, and because there is such a lack of snow, everything is brown and gray.

This is a strange winter. None of the lakes have enough ice on them to be safe to walk or drive on, and today the temperature was above freezing.

Laurie I will make sure that I do. It gives me the excuse I need to go out and buy a macro lens! :whistle:

8. abaleh says:

looking forward to seeing the results.

Rotem