Curtis Sliwa’s in Bahrain

12 Jan, '07

For just a few days, invited by the Bahrain Chapter of the Young Presidents’ Organisation, a group of just 22 people, to address a few schools and business groups in Bahrain to talk to them about his various community projects, the most visible of which is the Guardian Angels of course.

Curtis Sliwa - The Guardian Angels - Interview in Bahrain

I was invited by Sofyan Al-Moayed – who is one of those 22 and the one who arranged for Curtis’ visit – to briefly meet Curtis which I did and thoroughly enjoyed doing so, but also took the opportunity to interview him and try to find common ground with his initiatives, and my Just Bahraini campaign.

I’m not going to spoil it any more for you, you can listen to the interview yourself; it’s about 30 minutes long and this constitutes my first ever podcast which I hope you will enjoy.

[audio:MtvPodcast1-GuardianAngels.mp3]
Download [MP3 27.6MB] and/or [Enhanced MP3 14.4MB] (don’t ask!)) or just click above to listen online.

Filed in: Human Rights

1. Today I had the chance to meet Curtis Silwa.
    His speech was great. He is a very charismatic person.

I wish everyone was as motivated as Curtis. His sense of responsibility towards his community led to the founding of such an excellent organization that operates in 9 countries!

2. billT says:

Silwa is very charismatic but definitely not universally loved here in the states. His Guardian Angels are constantly being accused of racial profiling although to be perfectly honest the profiling generally fits the racial profile of the majority of criminals in the area.

What did you use for your podcast? I’ve been using Podproducer with the WP plugin podpress although it looks like there hasnt been any recent development on Podproducer its a nice free software for producing music podcasts.

Congratulations Mahmood on the first of what I hope are many podcast.

Thanks my friend. I used Audacity to start with, but switched to GarageBand (bundled Mac software) mid-stream. I found that GarageBand an easy enough product to use especially that the latest version has podcast specific templates and tools which make producing an episode easier.

For the recording of the interview I used the normal sound recorder in my mobile phone (as you might have guessed!) But my intro and outro were recorded with the built-in mic in my MacBook.

I think if I am to produce any more of these I’ve got to get better mics to get rid of that annoying “underwater” echo. But using the mobile phone for all these things is just so convenient, that my listeners will just have to put up with that echo!

4. billT says:

Forgot you use a Mac. Oh well we can’t all be perfect 😉 I started out with a $12 pc mic then went to a dynamic mic from Radio Shack. I just ordered a MXL 990 condenser mic for the insanely cheap price of $69 at MusiciansFriends.com. I’m also going to start recording thru a external amplifier for better sound.

5. Esra'a says:

GarageBand also has excellent special effects which you can use to make the podcast episodes more fun. Please find the time to do more podcasts in the future as they are usually more entertaining and we can multi-task while listening which is very convenient. I always enjoyed your videos and I am sure that your podcasts will be just as amusing.

You are the BlogFather of Bahrain, you may as well earn the name of our PodFather too. :tongue:

Oh, and I don’t mind the echo. I use an mp3 player sometimes to record some interviews, if it doesn’t interfere with your voice much then it shouldn’t matter. We want quality content, not perfect sound!

We gotta meet up one day.

6. docspencer says:

Mahmood, your interview with Curtis and your commentary was excellent. Although you need to be Bahrain-focused on this, as an outsider I would love to hear interviews with prominent Sunni and Shi’a leaders/Imams, and governmental leaders/ministers about why the Sunni and Shi’a are killing each other “next door”, why so much hate, and how a govermental system would be welcome by them, under what conditions, if religion was separated from the law, so that you can indeed be just plain Bahraini of any race or religion. I love that campaign by the way.

Good job.

Vic

7. Esra'a says:

docspencer, I hope you understand that while this issue is important it is not something that some of us would like to see brought back frequently as a topic for discussion. The more we focus on it, the more it seems as though we are highlighting the differences. There is much more to Bahrain and this region than what you are usually exposed to in the mainstream media about Sunni and Shiite differences and civil wars. Talking about these conflicts are important, but there is a lot of other interesting things to talk about that should not be ignored, things that can actually be in our favour rather than giving others the image that we are brutal monsters running around trying to kill each other.

Of course it is up to Mahmood whether or not to do this, but I think it will only be helpful to hear from the Just Bahraini campaign supporters instead of listening to any Shiite or Sunni accusing the other of conspiracies and hatred. Knowing Mahmood’s style though I’m sure he would never resort to the latter.

Actually I have an idea, I think there should be one big Just Bahraini podcast, how does that sound? Basically everyone, especially Bahrainis, make a small clip in support of this campaign, and they say “Hi, this is so and so from Manama (or wherever) and I support the Just Bahraini campaign.” I think it will be very great if we can blend it with the campaign site, and if that is successful we can move on to a video clip of this.

Seriously Mahmood think about it! It will be very nice to have on the sidebar, “listen to an audio clip of our supporters.” Makes the campaign more active and lively! And gains committed supporters too.

8. billT says:

docspencer the Sunni and Shi’a issue has been discussed here quite a number of times and emotions have flared.

Having listened to people here talk about the Sunni and Shi’a issue and although I understand it intellectually not experiencing it makes it impossible for me to truly understand the emotions it brings out. I would imagine that our civil war was viewed in much the same way by the rest of the world.

On the other hand I can fully understand the Just Baharain’i so I tend to agree with Esra’a view that Just Bahraini is a much more important and positive subject for podcasting.

Esra’a you’re an inspiration! This is exactly what I will do.

Doc, I appreciate your input and shall keep it into consideration, but I shall execute if and when I see fit. As you understand, I do have other things to do too.

Bill thanks for the suggestions. I’ll look your recommendations up. While I realise that content is king, having technical imperfections can easily detract from the message! But, I suppose you’ll have to put up with them for now until I get the money/time to do something about it.

11. Esra'a says:

Mahmood, I will send you 2 audio files by the end of tonight. One of me and one of a friend, just to get things started. You can just experiment with the idea for now until you find the time to work on it more.

Excellent, that should be a nice start Esra’a, thanks.

13. Scott says:

Where can I find a good host for when I start
    podcasting? Any recommendations? Ease of use
    is more important than anything else, I guess.

Scott

14. We were hoping terrorists would saw Curtis Sliwa’s head off and video tape it and put it on the Internet. Curtis is a no-good yellow cowardly rotten rat-bastard, well noted for robbing the honored dead after September 11th. Curtis wasn’t born the regular way. He slithered out of a whores asshole. Human scumbags dressed in red, the people wish that they were dead. Curtis deserved every single bullet in his ass. Only a moron would associate with him or praise him.

15. kelly says:

The angles held the women down, while Curtis Sliwa went to toen. The vicious beatings and the disfigured woman beaten by the “Guardian Angels” during the 1980s turn everyone’s stomach. Back then they called themselves “The whorebashers”. And then there were the phoney acts of heroism and the false 911 calls. “Help me mommy help me!” were the last words the eight year old said. She died holding her Teddy bear. She died because fire engines were unavailable, tied up with a phoney publicity stunt orchestrated by the biggest fake, phoney and fraud in the United States, Curtis (“the Rock”) Sliwa. He is called “The Rock: because he crawls out from under a rock every morning.

16. ac says:

Dear Kelly and George

Not only do you have a poor understanding of English that you have to use swear words on a public forum. I’m sure others who read your comments will pay little if NO respect towards you.

My question to the both of you – What was the last positive thing that you did free of charge for your community?

George Karokis on 22 Jan 2007 at 12:25 am

kelly on 22 Jan 2007 on 22 Jan 2007 at 1:02 am
    The angles held the women down, while Curtis Sliwa went to toen. The vicious beatings and the disfigured woman beaten by the “Guardian Angels” during the 1980s turn everyone’s stomach. Back then they called themselves “The whorebashers”. And then there were the phoney acts of heroism and the false 911 calls. “Help me mommy help me!” were the last words the eight year old said. She died holding her Teddy bear. She died because fire engines were unavailable, tied up with a phoney publicity stunt orchestrated by the biggest fake, phoney and fraud in the United States, Curtis (”the Rock”) Sliwa. He is called “The Rock: because he crawls out from under a rock every morning.