My first Chico Fruit!

12 Jan, '07

My first Chico Fruit!

My first Chico Fruit!, originally uploaded by malyousif.

I’m rather chuffed this morning as I discovered that my chico tree has produced a single fruit!

Chico (or Sapodilla – Manilkara zapota) is one of my favourite fruits, I couldn’t get enough of them. If you’ve never had them, go buy some if at all available in your area, you will probably love them.

My wife and kids don’t much appreciate Chico though, which is a "good thing™", I can have the whole lot by myself!

Yummy :w00t:

This was also the first day that I could do some light gardening for ages. I managed to re-distribute some of the allysums which were concentrated in almost just one location in their border, and dug out and potted two Cineraria Hybridas!

Me a rather happy cookie!

Have a wonderful and peaceful Friday my friends…

Filed in: Thoughts

1. Barry says:

Nice! Chicos are a common fruit in the Philippines. My favorite “tropical” fruit which has even the most remote possibility of being able to grow here in this corner of California would have to be the Cherimoya, Anonna cherimola. Of my “tropicals” that I’m growing, I’ve got a seedling of a star fruit I germinated from seed. It’s growing happily in its little pot in the kitchen.

It’s cold outside here though. temps are running at exactly freezing at the beach, while inland a bit, it’s a few degrees colder. It’s supposed to get even colder tomorrow morning.

By the way, did you get the email with the link to Strybing Arboretum I sent you? If not, here it is:

2. A learner of Arabic says:

Another cliché Arab with a sweet tooth 😀 I wonder whether you don’t have huge problems with tooth decay in Arab countries, where everybody loves sweets and sweet fruit?

3. Hello Mahmood
    my name is Ahmed and im 10 years old and im interisted in your website
    we’ve had chico tree since i was born until now and we a pomagrant,fig and rasberry tree

we all like chico at home :biggrin:

I did get the email Barry, thank you. Needless to say, the plants shown are unbelievable.

As to the sweet tooth thing, I can’t speak for others, but mine are shot and have been for a long time.

Salaam Mahmood

I love Chico fruit as much as the look of the tree. It could stand as a one man show or in group when it comes to its landscape value. But when it bares fruits in Bahrain then that’s a another value added to it as an orchard tree

Good luck with your other trees during this lovely season in Bahrain

Fuad

I’m worried a bit about its location Fuad. I didn’t think that it would get this big! At the moment it is about one foot away from the wall

Ahmed that’s good to know! The best memories a person can have is comparing a year of birth with something else growing with him or her at the same time!

Just think, you will be able to tell your children that you and a huge tree are the same age!

8. naddooi says:

mmm… chicos… yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…. :happy:

suddenly i have the urge to grow one!!! how long do they take to mature/flower/bear fruit?!

hell, i’m going to the supermarket to buy some, immediately!!!

This one was planted about 18 months ago, and this is the first crop (if you can call a single fruit so far a “crop”!)

A supermarket would certainly satisfy immediate needs!

10. samooha says:

mmmm! chico! my favorite fruit, my favorite juice drink, even my dog is called chico! I must congratulate you on your first chico fruit appearing, if only I had the skill and knowledge to grow a chico tree in my garden! one day I’ll do it, and I’ll take a picture too and post it up here!
    ahhh, the world of chico…

11. bint al saud says:

is this what other countries call passionfruit? if so…yah, I’m a fan.

I planted a passionfruit vine about 5 months ago and I’m desperate for it to grow and produce fruit…I think i’ll be waiting a while

No it’s not, but be VERY careful of the Passion fruit vine (Passiflora) as most varieties actually produce fruit which are poisonous. They say the best way to ensure that you don’t get poisoned by them is to buy its fruit at a supermarket!

Here are some pictures of my passiflora.

13. bint al saud says:

thanks for the warning. i got mine from a nursery so it should be ok…should be…. :wassat:

mmm…think I’ll have to hunt down this chico to see what I’m missing

14. Y.M.Jacob says:

I love chico fruit because it is also growing in Sind area in Pakistan.
    I want to import it from Pakistan USA so that many people can enjoy this fruit. Please inform me how I can have it by online.
    My address is given below.
    2820 Iron wood Place

Broken Arrow 74012
    USA

Sincerely yours,
    Y M Jacob

15. Sweepy says:

Woof, Mahmood! Hullo, I am a dog and I live in a house called Heaven. In Heaven we call our chico tree, Chicky. Chicky is growing beside Yvon, the avocado tree. For animals like me they seemed to be Forbidden Fruits since they can be poisonous for our sensitive tummies. But my human keepers love it and I guess so do you! 😆