The New Border Project

5 Feb, '07

07010500 - Planning the new border

07010500 – Planning the new border, originally uploaded by malyousif.

The hose is the outline of the new border which I started to cut and plan this afternoon (5 Feb 07). This is going to be my new project over the next few months and I’m going to document it.

I’ve created a new set on Flickr dedicated to this project, called The New Border Project! Keep tabs on that one if you like to follow my progress over the next few months.

Any suggestions on which plants should go in there?

Filed in: Thoughts

1. docspencer says:

Mahmood, you have very attractive colors and the fence design is very pretty. What style is your house?

Best regards,

Vic

2. M says:

Well the outline is very interesting. Do you mow your own grass? Pretty obvious from the background that you are already a pro at this. Keep the pictures coming though.

3. "Peter Rachman" (look it up...) says:

Hi M

When I read the title of this blog, i thought to myself ‘not another Muharraq-for-Muharraqi’s’ scheme, or worse still, Bandergate 3!

Good luck with the work… it looks like calorie-busting fun!

4. Mahmood,

Azaleas would be a nice touch along the border. :silly:

5. Everton says:

do you have any more pictures of your pad? I’m so jealous – I don’t even have a garden (got a balcony though lol)

6. docspencer says:

Mahmood, can you get what we call river rocks/pebbles? They are about 2-6 inches in diameter, have rounded smooth edges and are mixed earth tones in color.

Thanks Mark. I’ve got a lot of seedlings to plant in there already, but I agree Azaleas will also add a good splash in there. I’m more concerned with the perennials at the moment though…

8. Amira says:

Mahmood,

Your a talented Gardner in your own right. You had asked for suggestions, I was thinking of color and different textures that creates a variance in the garden. I don’t know how tolerable plants are in your area. I suggest some lavender and some vivid, bright orange impatient’s. I just adore them.

Amirah
    USA

9. Laurie says:

Any suggestions? Too many to count, so I’ll just list a couple. Yuccas and agave would look great next to the pink wall. Both types of plant come in many varieties, so there’s a lot to choose from in size and color.

Look for Plant Delights. They have a wonderful web site, all of the plants are listed by Latin names, and they focus more on sub-tropicals. I don’t know if you can order from them (probably not) but the site catalog is wonderful, and you should get a lot of ideas.

Here’s the site.

Thank you Amira, the lavender seedlings are definitely going in there. I’ve been looking for Impatiens in Bahrain; however, and haven’t had luck. Will keep trying.

Laurie, you read minds at that distance?!

I was discussing the very thing with my gardener yesterday and we decided that put a couple of Agaves as well as a Yucca and a few other cacti and succulents (Aloes mainly in the latter’s department) in a small patch at the end of the border.. that will lead to the much bigger “rock garden” I will be building under the old frangipani.

Thanks for the link to PlantDelights, they not only seem to have a good collection (which I will try to order from and ship to Bahrain somehow) but they also have an excellent sense of humour!

I love this:

Keep those ideas coming please!

11. Barry says:

What style were you thinking? If you’re going with succulents, perhaps something more on the dry side, but still lush.

I would skip the azaleas. I find them to be a bigger hassle than they’re worth especially if you don’t have water retentive acidic soil (these are forest natives, so they have shallow mat-like roots).

Maybe try something like Fremontodendron californicum. There are cultivars which bloom almost all year long:

The only drawback are the indumentum, the small hairs which can cause itching, but as long as you keep them behind something, and the branches trimmed up, they really aren’t a problem (the seed pods can be nasty if you really mess with them, but not as bad as the glochids on Opuntia). I keep mine trimmed as small trees. The branches have a very horizontal silhouette, and they flower almost all year long.

For agaves, you may want to try Agave attenuata. These have no spines and have a very tropical look to them. You don’t get very cold so they should do fine for you:

I would also include Anigozanthos, the Kangaroo Paws (so called because the individual flowers look the way kangaroos hold their paws). They come in yellow, reds, and even green!

If you can get your hands on one (or more!) try a Puya alpestris, a terrestrial arid climate bromeliad from South America. The flowers are an intense turquoise/sapphire green:

It looks like a clump of grass (although it has teeth along the edges)

Of course, without actually being there it’s hard to suggest plants, especially since you didn’t give an idea of what effect or style of plantings you’re going for.

Barry, as always, thanks for your very valuable suggestions. The plants you suggest are new to me and they look very nice to be included in the border. I haven’t seen them here and doubt very much that any garden shop would have them. The Garden Show is almost upon us though that I can wait until that happens to buys some plants then.

As to the style, well that’s the big question. I haven’t make up my mind completely yet, but I would like it to be the “yellow” themed area. I already have a Cassia surattensis there and it’s happy enough and when it flowers it takes over the whole focal point of the area with its bright yellow flowers and the multitude of bumble bees that swarm in and around it. I have decided that it should continue to be the focal point. In fact, I shall remove one stunted thing in there (I have no idea what it is) and replace it with another Cassie surattensis to bracket almost the whole new border, one at either end.

In between I shall look for more yellow things, like a golden ficus, agaves etc.

I’m going to measure the border (it’s about 40 feet long or so) and draw it tomorrow and start planning the plants. I’ll put the results in the thread here to discuss.

13. Don Cox says:

It is nice to have some plants that have flowers that are scented at night. I have honeysuckle in my garden, but there are many more that would grow in your warm climate.

14. Mahmood.

Don’t buy any ALOES!! I have access to lots of them for free if you want them.

Thanks Mark! I’ve got three I left in the ground from last year and they’ve come up! Against all odds, as it is in the patch the parakeets and birds are fed too 🙂

Don I agree! I already have a frangipani (plumeria) in there whose flowers sent is just sensual in the early evening. I’ve got a cape honeysuckle (tecomeria capensis) nearby too, although that doesn’t have much of a scent, well, nothing compared to the frangipani anyway, and I’m going (I think) put up a jasmine or a honeysuckle climber on a nearby wall as well (if I can keep it alive this time.. it was destroyed with the mealybug last time).

17. Cindy says:

I’m going to assume your zone would be the same as a 10 in the US. I think the Blue Sea Holly are beautiful. As well as the Double Tuberose.

Or Calla Lilies

Or GLADS!

I could spend all day looking at flowers and planning gardens.

Cindy thank you very much for your suggestions!