Dropped and unrecognised!

13 Feb, '07

WD Passport - 160GB

Man I am pissed. I dropped my new WD Passport 160GB drive while I was getting out of the car this morning and now the bugger is buggered.

I’ve got 120GB of data on it, mostly my original photographs going back years! It contains my whole library which I have deleted from my disks because I needed more space (which I why I bought the bloody thing) and now, it looks like it’s dead.

I tried it on my MacBook and on a Dell in the office, both want to reformat the bloody thing.

Other than using it as a coaster or a doorstop, any ideas how I might recover the data?

Filed in: Technology

1. Redbelt says:

I emailed IT. 🙂
    Lets wait for thier response!

2. Ali says:

Mahmood,

There is a tool to recover the data even if it is formated. But if you didnt then try to open the hard disk & connect it as secondry hard disk with ID cable to your Desktop.

If you need more info pls email me, I dont want to put my Computer shop here so it wont be like an ads :p :whistle:

3. I dropped a hard drive once. It did not have near as much information on it as yours. Yet, I lost some important stuff.

All is NOT LOST. There IS software available for data recovery. I have seen some in action though I do not know the names of them. A good data recovery company will have some stuff that can do a bit-map if necessary. It’s pricey though ($$$$).

4. Ahmed says:

Hello, I had pretty much the same thing happen to me. Here’s what you can do.

Plug the disk into the a Windows XP PC. Go to the Control Panel. Double click Administrative Tools. Double click Computer Management. From there, select Disk Management.

Now, although your PC won’t recognize the HD when connected, Disk Management should show that the partition from that HD exists. If it does, then you’re in luck.

Use a software called “Recover My Files”. It’s a really good data recovery software. It recovered every file on my external HD, to the sum of 270GB. You can use it to select the damaged partition and then recover the files to another location.

Not sure where you can buy it legally, but you can download it from various torrent websites.

After recovery, you can use Disk Managment to reformat the HD and everything should work fine.

5. Qassaam says:

I had the same thing man

If I am not mistaken, it can be an eternal fault; my friend fixed it for me (hardware expert) and it worked just fine 😉 not from the hard disk, but the drive’s bay…

Tell me if you need more help, & Hope you get t fixed :happy:
    Take care & byebye!!! 😉

6. congkak says:

Hi there,

Try GetDataBack software(Google for it :tongue: ).My backup hdd went kaput on me too but the software was able to recover some part of it. Oh, its for Windows only. Please, please DO NOT format it first.

7. BinShehab says:

If it’s a hard disk physical I don’t think all the recovery software can do anything, but if it’s a data corruption or the HDD want boot or get access these software will help, I am using them on a regular bases saving friend NICK.
    I been reading about putting the HDD in the freezer for a while and then try to access it, some people said it works!!
    Please let me know if you want me to help to save your nick.

Dude,Next Time try to backup all your important stuff on CD/DVD Media; Never keep them on Hard Disk’s coze they are not stable..

then you get a little scratch and you lose your data again. don’t think that in all my years in IT that I haven’t considered (and tried) most available solutions!

10. Philip says:

If other options fail, try contacting a UK company called AL Downloading, http://www.aldownloading.co.uk/ who specialise in data recovery. They have helped me and many other people in similar circumstances – and I have no commercial interest with them.

Good luck

11. goodman says:

you can find a data recover company in khobar KSA (Dosary mall), i think they are a Western Digital expert.

goodman do you have their name or number handy?

13. naddooi says:

ouch ouch ouch!!! just the thought pains me!

Btw, Mahmood, as will everything, dont put all ur eggs in one basket, back up on DVDs as well as the HD!! I think its nice to back up on DVD, which u literarly archive, away from scratches, etc

Then have copies you use… or an HD… I hope the head didnt crash into the disks and totally ruin it :/

good luck!

14. Redbelt says:

IT didn’t respond, but using my dusty IT degree I can say:
    If you must format it, you can. However use only the quick format option not the full format.
    A quick format merely “erases” the headers of the data. Meaning the PC will not recognize that there is any data at all.
    The full formate WILL erase all data (header and content) so it would be a clean slate.
    If you quick format it, the data should still be intact sans headers, there are tools online (again, gotta speak to the IT guys, they have it) that would identify data even without the headers thus enabling you to extract them and live happily ever after.
    Tell me if you must go to this step and I will try to .
    ooh!
    There’s something else you may try: Linux.
    Linux is an operating system (just like windows or mac os X is). because it works differently, you may recover data through it. I did before. You don’t need to install a full os on your machine, there are bootable versions that you can burn on a cd and boot directly from cd (search: ubuntu or mandriva)_download the image, burn t he cd, browse to your injured HD and try to move them to the C drive or something.

Was I too technical or is this OK? Hollar if you need help

I didn’t have a chance to really look into this problem today, as you might expect. But as OS X is BSD Linux, I can find my way around dd and other tools… once I get the bloody thing to mount!

Before doing that however, and as I don’t have much time to mess around with it, let me see if there is a quick utility that will do the job without me getting too much into the guts of the bloody thing. Otherwise I will be happy to throw it at a data recovery service and be done with it.

16. Try DiskWarrior. I’ve had it recover a lot of data a couple of years ago.

Thanks Hani, what would I do without our local and resolute Mac hero in the family! Hope you’re enjoying CA! 😎

18. Ron Larson says:

Try SpinRite 6.0 from http://www.grc.com. It may run for a day, but it does amazing stuff.

19. Maverick says:

Google wil supply you with many links M, but have you tried to contact the Imate guys who work for your friend Mr. Sofyan Almoayed. PErhaps they may have some recovery method incase the physical links may have broken inside. :wassat: Perhaps you already tried that but just checking. :whistle:

20. aburaas says:

Tape is the way to go. Never fails for me.

You can send it to the u.s. where 50 tech nerds sitting in a room can fix it. i saw it once on the discovery channel.

22. Don Cox says:

Probably the mechanism is damaged – for example, the recording head has snapped off.

The recovery experts would take an identical drive, open both up in a clean room, and swap the disks over. If there is also a big scratch on one or more of the disks, recovery software will help to read as much as possible. But to do that, the motors, bearings and heads must be all working.

I think I will have to resort to such a service. The data on it is too precious to lose.

Would anyone care to recommend specific companies they have used for recovery and have been happy enough with the service?

24. goodman says:

sorry mahmood .the good batelco internet was down for some time,

المحل موجود في مجمع الدوسري في الخبر . المجمع موجود في نفس شارع مجمع الراشد. واتذكر انهم مختصين في استعادة المعلومات و معتمدين بشكل ما من ويسترن ديجيتال

Thanks my friend, I’ll try to go there tomorrow morning to find out.

26. goodman says:

Redbelt :

One time I re-partitioned and performed a full format for a drive, and I was able to get about 3 gigabyte of data using a program called (Recover My Files), but with a physical errors in a drive it is the best to ask a specialist.