Vlog 35: The Frangipani Patch

17 Feb, '07

A vlog, finally!

Arif and I attacked the frangipani patch where all the parakeets and the birds come to feed. That has always been the most difficult patch to grow things in I think because it is the windiest and coldest part of the garden. The frangipani survives, but it certainly does not thrive as the one in the front garden. This is probably because the poor old lady was transported from the old house and the old gardener chopped it’s roots very close to the trunk.

Anyway, that’s not the story here, it is that I wanted to clean up the patch as it was getting full of bird seed, shells, date stones and other rubbish the birds leave behind once they’ve fed. I wanted to find a way to make that particular spot easier to maintain and clean as well as make that area the focal point that is very much needed there. That and re-design the space, it was a sore area to my eyes and I think it was high time I actually did something about it.

Apart from that, I wanted to transpose some cactii from shallow pots, to the ground, I think they were almost pot-bound and needed the freedom to grow. I hope they will.

I hope you enjoy the vlog, it was shot on my mobile phone and edited with iMovie.

Filed in: M.Report

1. nzm says:

Great vid!

Are those yellow flowers towards the end of the video on an oleander bush?

Also, is Phoebe named after Phoebe Snow? 🙂

cheers
    nzm

I can’t remember what those bushes are called (my whole database got fried unfortunately!) but they are not oleanders.

Phoebe is my daughter Amna’s dog, she called her after that Phoebe in Friends I think.

I’ll find the name of the bush and post it. I thought they would never survive there, but they flourished and are – as you have noticed – in flower. I’m quite thrilled as they provide the background I was looking for in that area.

3. Pamela says:

great garden, beautiful dogs. If I was there, and you’d need an experienced pet sitter who is also an RVT, I’d do it. Do the dogs like cats? My cats are scared to death of dogs.

Yeah they do. So much that they turn a new speed record chasing them. They haven’t caught one yet, and I dread the day that they do!

5. Laurie says:

It looks like you’re digging through road base! I though the soil here had too much clay in it; after seeing yours, I won’t complain so much when I’m working in the yard.

and consider too that I changed the whole top 18 inches by removing the original clay, building refuse, rocks and saline sand and replaced all that layer with about 200 tonnes of washed garden sand!

7. sleepyinsaudi says:

Mahmood, I love the new birdfeeding area. I have a hanging feeder, But I like this idea of a pedestal style feeder. You should be on that BBC gardening program.

Here’s my big question. How do you keep the infernal pidgeons out of the feeder and eating all the food(and pooping everywhere.)

I have noticed that there is a pecking order among these birds. Parrots, then pidgeons, then bulbuls, then mynahs (the black ones with the yellow beak and the little orange line on their face), . None of the birds pay any attention to the tiny sparrows, I guess because they pose no threat. But those nasty pidgeons bully the mynahs.

How do you deal with these pidgeons? Or do you?

Oh, and where in Bahrain is a good place to buy parrot food? It’s very expensive over the causeway.

Thanks. 😎

I don’t! I let them handle their own differences and I stay out of the way. We don’t get much differences actually as we put out three types of food for the birds:

dates for everyone
    parrot food in the same dish, they choose what to each
    and finally we put out a lot of bread for everyone else, and that we throw on the lawn. This way we get most of the pigeons and sparrows going for the bread, while the parrots and bulbuls enjoy the fruit.

We buy parrot food from a place called ‘The Pet Shop’ in Burhama (I’ll find it on Google Earth and post it here this afternoon) but I don’t know what the prices are. I do know they have a variety and you buy by the kilo. That’s Frances’ department. Let me ask her and get back to you. I know they have the “regular” (cheap) stuff and the more expensive 5kg bags they import. I don’t know which one Frances gets. I hope he cheap stuff!