Good Friday

6 Apr, '07

Red Hibiscus

Red Hibiscus, originally uploaded by malyousif.

To all who celebrate commemorate this joyous occasion, I wish you a very happy Bunny and Egg-hunting day!

What’s with all the strikes?

Filed in: Thoughts

1. Barry says:

Happy Good Friday, Mahmood!

Nice! I haven’t seen a Hibiscus with such a long style and stigma before. Those are pretty common flowers in nurseries here, but I do wish they’d import more interesting varieties!

2. Beautiful flower, and wonderful photo!
    By the way, calling Good Friday joyous is like calling Ashoora joyous… It’s the day when Christians commemorate Jesus’ crucifixion and death. Easter Sunday is the joyous occasion, when they celebrate his resurrection. You’ll just have to post another photo on Sunday!

3. Happy Easter and Good Friday everyone!

Bint: Good Friday is joyous to most Christians. We don’t view it as a “sad” event or day. But I agree another photo from the Mahmoodmuski is needed on Sunday! :angel:

4. From the BBC website:

‘Good Friday is a day of mourning in church. During special Good Friday services Christians meditate on Jesus’ suffering and death on the cross, and what this means for their faith.’

It is definitely a day of mourning for Catholics – maybe less so for other denominations. I guess different countries have different traditions, too.

5. Differant strokes for differant folks Bint! :angel:

Ah, demonstrating my ignorance. Thanks for the correction BB.

7. Aliandra says:

Bint, that’s very true. My mother followed the tradition of her home country when I was growing up. Dour music on all day, no TV either. Felt like being in a requiem. The US, being a mostly Protestant country, tends to put more emphasis on Easter, the day of Jesus’ ressurection and a lot of American Catholics have followed along. Most Catholic countries put more emphasis on the death and Good Friday. Easter Sunday is not given the same importance.

This year, Orthodox Easter and Western Christianity Easter fall on the same day.

8. Bahraini and proud says:

I kan’t see anysing of za bictures, wat is wrong wiz my kambuter ???

I use mac OS X

9. Bahraini and proud says:

ouh ouh ouh i forgot HAPPY EASTER hehehehehe

10. Barry says:

The interesting side of it all is, the Easter Holiday should be far more significant than Christmas is.

From the earliest times the Christians kept every Friday as a feast day; and the obvious reasons for those usages explain why Easter is the Sunday par excellence, and why the Friday which marks the anniversary of Christ’s death came to be called the Great or the Holy or the Good Friday. The origin of the term Good is not clear. Some say it is from “God’s Friday” (Gottes Freitag); others maintain that it is from the German Gute Freitag, and not specially English. Sometimes, too, the day was called Long Friday by the Anglo-Saxons; so today in Denmark.

Here’s the description of the solemness of the day in the Roman catholic Church:

The omission of the Mass proper marks in the mind of the Church the deep sorrow with which she keeps the anniversary of the Sacrifice of Calvary. Good Friday is a feast of grief. A black fast, black vestments, a denuded altar, the slow and solemn chanting of the sufferings of Christ, prayers for all those for whom He died, the unveiling and reverencing of the Crucifix, these take the place of the usual festal liturgy.

Source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06643a.htm

Bahraini and proud: use this and this and you should be able to access Flickr and pictures served from Flickr.

I saw huge ostridge eggs at Al Areen yesterday ……… I recommend everyone who hasn’t been there to go ……… Happy Easter :biggrin:

13. F says:

Wishing you, your family and all those around you, a Happy
    Easter!

14. milter says:

Mahmood,

No need to apologize :biggrin:

We received a “Happy Easter” greeting from my wife’s aunt a few days ago. She (the aunt) is a nun in an Irish order.

And, maybe this little story could be of interest in connection with Easter.

“The Church of the Holy Sepulchre”, or “The Church of Resurrection” in Jerusalem is said to contain the place where Jesus was buried. Various Christian churches agree about this but, they cant agree about which one should hold the key to it. This distrust started many hundred years ago.

This is where Saladin comes into the picture. Yes, THAT Saladin. The short version is that because of this distrust Saladin appointed a Muslim family to keep the keys.

The whole story can be seen here.

15. Nelle says:

Mahmood, your red hibiscus is absolutely gorgeous. I’ve been awaiting spring to come to my part of the world, and with it, the blooms in my garden.

Now, the coming of spring has been delayed here in Nova Scotia, Canada. This is what I woke up to this morning: Happy Easter.

Now that’s what I call a scene! :cheerful:

17. Nelle says:

Mahmood, this morning we woke to another fresh blanket of snow, which of course, meant more plowing and shovelling. With any luck, it will melt in a few days as the forecast is for the rest of the week is for sunny weather with temperatures above freezing.

Although I enjoy winter sports such as skiing and skating and the magic of waking up on Christmas morning to a fresh blanket of gleaming white snow, there are times I wish I lived somewhere in the warmer climes.

18. Iris says:

@Mahmood: What a wonderful flower! In Mexico we have quite a lot of them, in Cuernavaca especially because of the fine climate, but I have never seen such an outstanding specimen!

@Barry: In German Karfreitag translates to Mourning Friday, no God’s Friday to be found.
    The Spanish say Viernes Santo (Holy Friday).

Today, Easter Monday, is still a holiday in Germany, therefore Happy Easter!, but here in Mexico we have to work (got back from the beaches and some apparently with a hangover) and deal with the IRS. Bureaucracy in Mexico is getting better but is still annoying.

19. Barry says:

Iris: Well, that’s just what the New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia calls it, and they do mention that it is speculation, as no one really knows why exactly in English we call it “Good Friday” (since such a day is hardly a good thing). I personally do not know German. The point of the quote was to mention that Easter Sunday is *the* day in the Christian Calendar (the day above all other days).