Warning, another gardening post!

13 Apr, '07

Man it’s getting rather hot. The downpour last night was something to experience this late in April too, I can’t remember if it rained this late in the year for a very long time. I do remember last year they did have rain during the F1, but last year it was done in March, maybe the Bahraini rain follows the F1 event!

Good luck to everyone organising, participating and experiencing the F1 in Bahrain. If you’re a visitor in this great country, you’re very welcome.

Just like every Friday it seems, and the 13th is no exception, I got the itch to go and buy some plants! True to form, I went with Frances in her brand new spanking car to Jannusan Exotics – my new favourite garden centre – and bought three Java Glory Vines (Clerodendrum x speciosum) and two Mexican Flame Vines (Senecio confusus)

I was not particularly happy with the jasmines I planted a few weeks ago in the “New Border”, they didn’t grow much and I’m impatient; so I yanked those out an distributed them to two palm trees which I hope they will climb up in a much more successful manner, and the third I will plant this afternoon by the kitchen window. In their place I planted the Java glory vines while the two new Mexican flame vines, which we have had in the past but pests killed them last summer, I planted on a trellis by the front door.

So I have two more subjects of Friday Shots very soon I hope!

Filed in: Thoughts

1. As a gardening fan I have some gardening questions for you 🙂
    I’ve been looking for the English names of these Bahraini crops for a while- would you happen to know?

Ruwaid, Bagel, Barbeer, Bambar, Knaar, Sbaar (both hindi and sour)

greenthingsthatyoueat is the Latin family name, individually I have no idea! :biggrin:

3. Well that’s it then, make it a mission for all bloggers until next bloggers meeting to find out :angry:

4. Oh yah! you’re right! OK I found another one, tamarind is the sour sbaar (and the crazy one “mkharkhash”), and what we call sbar hindi is actually called Manila Tamarind.

Thanks!

I’ve never found out the others, and I am ashamed to admit that I always confuse the bagul and ruwaid, until very recently! I think the bagul is of the radish family.

6. Rancher says:

I’m getting a snow and rain mix and me without a jacket today because it’s supposed be spring. Even with the English names I have no idea what crops you guys are talking about.

Oh these are very local things! Good luck with your weather, as I sit here and type this, I can see sheet lighting, thunder and rain outside… it should be an interesting F1 “desert” race!

8. Iris says:

We use tamarind for “fruit water”. It’s not too sweet, which is nice.

9. You’re still mixing them up I think. Ruwaid would be more likely to be from the Radish family. Bagul is the long green thing you get when ordering Tikka & Kabab :sideways:

Thanks for the link and the effort anyway.

10. Rancher says:

I will say this, when I was ranching I prayed daily for rain and still love when our desert gets moisture. Lighting on the other hand: if it resulted in no rain it meant we would all be mobilized to go fight a prairie fire.

11. Barry says:

*I* might be able to help if only I had photos! 😆

Tamarind is used in the Philippines for making Sinigang – sour soup. In Mexico they make a refreshing drink called Tamarindo out of them.

I bought some very nice plants today Mahmood, a bush poppy, two types of currants, and one European smoke bush (Cotins coggygria)

That’s an idea! Let me see if I can get pictures.

Good luck with those plants Barry, make sure you post some pictures!

13. OK I found some photos in Flickr

This is what we call Knar (Two types, first one is bigger and harder)

I’ll see what else I can get..

14. Barry says:

Thanks Mahmood! I tried looking up those names but they were either the names of a Norse ship (knaar), a surname (Ruwaid), or a tasty type of bread (bagel).

I’ll see if I can get some pictures of them planted out tomorrow. By the time I had gotten home, I had just enough time to plant them all out before nightfall. The cotinus really compliments the purple leaved plum I already have had planted (it’s the very first thing I planted, about 10 years ago).

I am planning on some more shrubs for the front garden, but buying plants is not cheap (as you know!), and some fo the things I want, I refuse to buy any larger than 1 gallon cans, such as the Romneya poppies.

15. Barry says:

Cradle:

Ah! Your Knar appears to be the fruits of Zyzyphus jujuba, called “jujube” in English. The dried form is sold as “Chinese dates”

Green fruits: http://us.inmagine.com/img/pixtal/pt220/CD220053.jpg

Ripe fruits:

Dried fruits: http://mykoreankitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/chinese-dates.jpg

16. Wow! Thanks Barry!
    It’s been a while I’m trying to find the names, thanks a lot really.

17. Barry says:

You’re welcome. Now, for the others… 😉

man you’re good!

19. Barry says:

Mahmood: Thanks! Like a plague of locusts, I continually consume and digest any and all plant information!

don’t tell me, don’t tell me, you’re a meatisaur just because you have taken an activist position against vegetarians, right? :w00t:

21. Barry says:

Well, I do love the many meats the world has to offer. If it is made of muscle tissue and edible, I’m probably alllll about it! Against vegetarians? Nah, but I do find vegans silly.

22. MHMLK says:

Sorry to ask a daft question but whereabouts is Janusan Exotics?

Ah, that would be telling!

But since you’re a friend, download this file and open it in Google Earth and you’ll find it.

How’s that for service?!

24. MHMLK says:

Thanks, that’s great. Will pay a visit.