Cactus Flower

17 Apr, '07

Cactus Flower

Cactus Flower, originally uploaded by malyousif.

The last time this cactus flowered was almost exactly a year ago! It’s a lot bigger now obviously, but is just as pretty, if not more.

It flowered only today. However, as there are a bunch of buds on this and it’s another cactus like it in the opposite bed, the scenery will look rather nice when both flower.

You can see that my seed-grown petunias are trying to take over here, as they have done in other beds!

Filed in: Thoughts

1. Iris says:

Beautiful! :happy:

BTW: We had fried cactus leaves as side dish for lunch yesterday.

2. Barry says:

I rather like the yellow of the cactus flower against the purple of the petunias (purple and yellow are classic contrasting colors)

3. Laurie says:

Does your cactus flower have any scent?

4. Jen says:

I read blog’s all through out the world. I have a special place in my heart for the gulf region. What happen to the student’s & families and professors on Virginia Tech campus was horrible! I, too, grieve when I hear of atrocities that happen all over the world. What I have seen with this horrific injustice to all of V.T. students and families and staff, no other blogs or anyone seems to be thinking about the loss of life on that campus from other parts of the world ! I am very ashamed of fellow mankind throughout the world. I have sent my kids off to campus.Praise God they were safe till they graduated. We all have sent out kids to higher learning to get an education. Sadly, their kids and professors didn’t make it. We should all ponder and have a moment of silence for the dead. This could be any campus or any individual. Let me make my point. At the convication, an Iman spoke first. He read from the Holy Qu’ran. He read in Arabic first then translated in English. He was warm and caring with his speech. He was a very thoughtful man. His messaged was well received from all in the audience. A Rabbi next; she read from the Torah and another student spoke it in the native Jewish language. A Buddhist spoke of the Dalai Lama. She quoted some famous Buddhist. I liked her too. Last but not least a Methodist Preacher spoke of forgiveness and unity. All students and faculty should love one another. I felt good about all faiths being respected at ONE event for one purpose. Please keeps those kids and professors who lost their lives. This is all over our news continually. We can learn from this. Unity 🙂

Jen
    Forgive me Mahmoud for using your forum, for my personal good. Please forgive me.

5. Petunias: my tortoises’ favourite meal!

Laurie, no unfortunately not.
    Taxi, that’s one of the reasons I refuse to have one in my garden!
    Iris, you try that with mine and I’ll chop your hands off! 😉
    Barry, of course that was intentional, being the great gardener and colour expert I am! :w00t:

Jen, thank you for sharing your thoughts. May their Gods accept them in Heaven now and offer the bereaved the patience and solace to get over this horrendous crime.

7. Barry says:

How could I not know that wasn’t intentional. How SILLY of me! 🙂

Laurie: Most of the cactuses which have scent open up at night and are polinated by bats (most of these are white as well).

Mahmood: You really should try eating some of the pads of your plant (unless of course, they grow so slow!). it is the young, tender pads you want. I personally am not a fan of nopales (as they are called in Mexico), unless they’re heavily sauced or mixed with other things (they have a flavor I don’t much like on their own).