Flowering Dwarf Poinciana (Caesalpinia pulcherrima)

20 Apr, '07

Flowering Dwarf Poinciana (Caesalpinia pulcherrima)

Flowering Dwarf Poinciana (Caesalpinia pulcherrima), originally uploaded by malyousif.

This tree was destroyed when a previous gardener covered its base with sand (trying to make a hill of some kind) and it didn’t like it at all. It completely went spastic and I thought it died. I left it as it is and a few weeks later I saw new growth right at the bottom of the tree.

I am glad that now, about a year and a bit later, it has bushed quite nicely, reached a height of about 2 meters and is flowering quite well.

Have a wonderful Friday guys!

Filed in: Thoughts

1. Barry says:

Even when jagoffs make a mistake and nearly ruin a plant, they manage to come back. I have this constant gripe with the “gardeners” at the university who want to turn everything into a box shaped hedge. The worst offense was turning a coast live oak into a hedge!

Plants typically don’t like grade changes to the soul around their roots. An easy way to kill most trees is to bury their roots under a layer of soil.

2. Bernie says:

I’ve never seen one of these but congrats on a successful rescue. It’s a really beautiful and quite unusual bloom.

3. Ash says:

Lovely photograph, Mahmood – great colours and perfect depth of field!

4. tom says:

“When a previous gardener”…..

Sorry Mahmood but it stinks of Imperialism and only a little short of the Khalifa dictatorship.

note to self:

today I planted 40 gomphrenas, 20 coleuses, 1 variegated hibiscus and an Indian fruit bush which I need to get the proper name of!

6. M says:

Nice picture, Mahmood. It’s nice to know there is some constants in life such your Friday pictures. :biggrin:

Have a great Friday everyone.

7. Iris says:

Pulcherrima!
    She is!

The city department cut down some trees on the street last Friday and they even found time to diminish my pineapple plant down to the roots.
    I hope it will survive this slaughter as did yours, Mahmood.

8. mishmish says:

Really beautiful and always a pleasure to see these Friday posts !