Caper flower

16 May, '07

Caper flower (Capparis spinosa L.)

Caper flower (Capparis spinosa L.), originally uploaded by malyousif.

The first time this plant flowers with me. I bought this herb plant, the Caper (Capparis spinosa) from the recent Bahrain Garden Show and put it in a pot by the front door on a pedestal as it has a habit of "flowing" and it looks gorgeous in its place on a pedestal.

There are other buds forming so soon we might be able to enjoy a number of these delicate looking beautiful flowers.

Much better than eating their buds, this is a feast for the eyes, and it’s not even Friday yet!

Filed in: Thoughts

1. Barry says:

Mmmm capers. My favorite dish is chicken paillard made with capers. However, the plants are pretty in and of themselves. Your plants look a bit wilted from the flowers though (the stamens should stand upright). The plants grow in cracks in walls all over the mediterranean.

I have a relative of it that’s native to California called Bladderpod – Isomeris arborea:

Thanks for the warning Barry! I just looked at this and you’re right, they should stand proud. I normally water this plant only once every couple of days but looks like with the advent of the hot weather I might have to water it daily now.

3. Barry says:

You’re welcome! Usually when plants flower they lose a lot more water through the flowers because the flowers don’t have all of those water conserving traits like the leaves do. I’d love to grow capers but I think we’re probably way too cool for them to do well here.

4. Proud Bahraini says:

Nice looking flower.

5. Bonsaimark says:

Mahmood,

Did you ever try these water crystals? http://www.water-keep.com/ Many different firms make them and they do work very well. I have even used them in the greenhouse as a rooting medium with pretty good results for some species.

I know I saw them in Bahrain but for the life of me I can’t remember what store it was.

I was looking for those Mark, thanks for reminding me.

7. Bonsaimark says:

Now that I ponder the thought, I think I saw them once at the Daiso (sp?) store. Let me do some checking. Manazel had them at one point as well.

do you remember where that store is? I can’t recall the name.

9. Bonsaimark says:

Mahmood,

The Daiso store is on Palace Avenue in central Manama, about 8 blocks from AMH and the Manazel is in Isa Town. Don’t have the road it is on but I bet someone lurking around on the blog knows. I hope this helps.

I know Manazel of course, but I’ve never heard of Daiso! Anyone?

Daiso in alhadi mall

and they are going to open another branch near Home electronics in isa town

12. Ingrid says:

you have the most pretty pictures Mahmoud. National Geographic-worthy! Even though the flower might look a bit wilted..I really like the colours of the whole composition.
    Ingrid

Thank you Ingrid, that’s so sweet!

I came home this afternoon early especially to water it, but unfortunately it was too late, both flowers were well and truly wilted. Fortunately there are a few more buds on the plant so I hope to be able to post “healthy” pictures soon.

14. M says:

I’m with Ingrid; every time I look at your flickr stream, I think you should be doing a photography blog on the side! :biggrin: That artistic flair must be in the genes.

Thanks for the Wednesday pictures.

That’s when a CMS beats straight-forward blogging engines like this one. I did that while I used Xaraya in that you just click on a tab and you’re in the “album”, here, it’s a bit more involved and I haven’t had the gumption to pursue it further.

But I have been thinking a lot about the layout of the blog over the last few weeks, making it look more like a “newsy” site with one main article being presented and everything else is links with a short summary and picture icons and that sort of thing. It’s still percolating in the gray matter that I might have to hire someone to code a new theme for me… we’ll see how it goes.

For now however, enjoy my Flickr pages and thanks for the compliment!