Weep my friends. For the coral reefs have gone.

19 May, '07

Bahrain Coral Reef rubble

Having revisited the site more than 20 years later last Saturday, Dr Sheppard described how “depressing” the scene had become.

“I don’t know of any sort of destruction like (the one at Fasht Al Adhm) happening elsewhere, it was depressing,” he said.

“In the last 20 years, there has been a massive shift of corals and a collapse in the eco-system.”

He said that Bahrain risks losing untold acres of coral reefs due to coastal development.

“The resulting sedimentation is stressing the coral reefs, it is like a sandstorm down there,” he added.

“There is a gloom of silt miles long.

“It was no fun diving and I brought all this gear to measure the reefs and I realised there was no point because nearly everything was dead.”

Ready for more detailed depression? Follow this link.

There must be something that we can do to stop this disaster.

Filed in: Thoughts

1. um naief says:

in the job i had before this last one, i did some work related to the bahrain financial harbor and some hotels being built on private property, and when it came time to talk to companies re: the reclamation and how to go about it, we had at least two companies that went into depth about the environmental issues related to these projects…. it became clear, w/in a short period of time, that the ppl responsible for these projects were not interested in any ill effects to the environment or how to go about saving the beaches and/or coral reefs and such. they were only interested in how to get the work done in the shortest amount of time possible.

it was very disheartening. it’s sad to see how little ppl actually care… and when i read about this stuff in the paper and see ppl “saying” they care… it makes me sick.

2. Redbelt says:

Abandon hope ye Bahrainis.

I know many fishermen who are complaining of this. They say there is no fish anymore. So what they do is sail in international waters between Qatar and UAE, then tresspass on one country, then if they face coastgaurds the run to the other country’s waters.
    They fish there and come to sell it here.

Similarly; the local farmers at our local fruits and vegetables shop have nothing to sell if it weren’t for Saudi produce. They actually say that in despair. Shame.

Bahrain is running itself dry. We cannot live without Saudi’s support and other nations. It’s not that we can’t, it’s that greed is blinding people at times, and at others it’s ignorance and lack of proper protocol.

Kill your gold egg hen and dance.

I am abandoning hope.

3. Reef Fan says:

I suggest contacting GREENPEACE.

4. Pamela says:

what we are doing to our world is unbelievable. read this story.

Plastic Ocean

5. olgafan says:

some of what greenpeace does is pure stupidity, and to be honest, I never liked them…..
    Is that about to change? I’m starting to feel what greenpeace does is not really that bad and it kinda work in some countries, but will it work here? when I think of people gathering in objection to something in Bahrain, I remember the rubber bullets and tear gas and mercenaries..

I wonder….
    sounds like greenpeace style is still stupid when I think about it.. I don’t want to lose an eye. :ninja:

6. ASKAD says:

Yes i agree, lets contact Greenpeace & let them do thier job :mrgreen:

7. We are doing so much irreversible damage to our planet for the sake of making a few bucks. It’s pure greed and selfishness to deny future generations the beauty of our planet, who knows what lies ahead when we start to upset earth’s natural balance…

8. olgafan says:

ASKAD: you are wrong.. Greenpeace don’t have an army of people trying to protect everything that’s green everywhere in the world.
    Greenpeace is an army that will help only, nothing more. If we want greenpeace’s help, we must join them and start a branch of our own in Bahrain.

don’t rely on others to fight your fight… you can hope to get some help though 😉

9. Ingrid says:

I agree with olgafan.. it needs to be a grassroots thing and preferably with royal backing (I know I know, I did say preferably). Perhaps one way of getting interest in it is ecotourism. Attach financial benefit to it and perhaps that will get something moving. I do understand that the development of hotels etc. will seem like a faster way of doing money. Ok..well, how’sbout some good old international shaming?? Whatever the route, it will take perseverance and a good number of people working on it..
    good luck, the full circle of ecology is probably not taught in the Gulf..
    Ingrid

10. Maverick says:

I am sure that like ABu simbel aboev the ground was moved, the coral reefs could have been rebuilt or established elasewhere before affecting the ones closer to the coast.

What a crying shame 😡 👿 👿 👿

11. wonders.me says:

That’s really disgusting!

It’s another sign of how Bahrain is being raped, and no one is doing anything to help. These absurd projects on beautiful waters, while the majority of the coastline is not even used.

Disgusting greed!

Something is got to be done. Where are the fishermen? where are the organisations? What about MPs? PRESS!!! 👿

OMG.

ignorance, total lack of respect, greed, short sightedness, oooh it’s soooo infuriating!!!

what can we do to take action? to reverse the damage? save what’s left? prevent more damage?
    there must be someone influential who gives a damn. this is not progress. 😥

poor little old once beautiful Bahrain is going to the dogs :(((( 😥