Got summer travel plans?

4 Jun, '07

You might want to consider a new Global Peace Index released by the Economic Intelligence Unit in which it ranked the peacefulness of 121 countries and gave them index points. The results – if you follow the news – are relatively obvious:

peaceful nations index

Norway came out on top, followed by New Zealand (2), Denmark (3), Ireland (4), Japan (5). As for the Gulf countries Oman came out on top occupying the 22nd spot, Qatar ranked 30th, UAE (38), Kuwait (46), Bahrain (62), Saudi Arabia (90), Yemen (95), Iran (97) and Iraq bringing up the rear at the last position of the index.

Other countries worth noting are the UK at 49, Libya is 58th (4 positions better than Bahrain!), Jordan is 63rd, while the USA occupies the 96th position, ranking one position lower than Yemen!

The rankings were developed by basing them on 24 “drivers” and indicators looking at various things which might affect the stability of a country. It does not take into consideration the history of conflict in a country, which I think reflects the currency of the report, rather than basing it on what could be irrelevant contexts.

It is worth reading and understanding the report; governments as well as NGOs should take note of its content which can provide a basis for working together to achieve better stability in order to create a sustainable peaceful existence and obviously a wealth generating platform for the community as a whole.

Filed in: Politics

1. The very bad thing about it is, that in most of the “peaceful countries” it is too cold. But New Zealand… not bad!

The U.S.A. get their points with the low restrictions for fire arms… just a few ranks from a country in war, that’d be shocking for them…

2. Salman says:

One more reason to move back to Switzerland i guess.

3. Hasan says:

Horray for Japan 🙂 Am I getting any visitors this Summer? I wonder.

4. Craig says:

Simon, this is a study of historical trends. Nothing to do with guns. Look at Canada in Blue – same violent crime rates as the US. It’s not a crime index.

Anyway, look at those (very high)blue countries? Most of them are blue because of the (low)orange United States. We’ve been carrying their water for them since WWII. But we won’t b able to do it much longer. When Putin in (very low) red Russia makes his move, they are going to have to shit or get off the pot. We’re busy over here.

5. mashtan says:

Oh my goodness!!! Well if you believe my nutty governent or Fox News (no I am not a believer), you would think that Homeland Security is keeping us safe over here. When are elections again?? Oh thats right, not for another 18 months.

Really Americans as a whole are VERY peaceful, we were just stupid enough to elect Bush……AND the electoral college system is broke.

Don’t forget charitable too.

We pray for peace in our churchs every week. Last night in Church, I am Roman Catholic, our priest prayed for better friendship, respect and understanding between Muslims and Christians. 🙂 We are all God’s children.

Blessings to all of you, Peace be with all of you,
    Mashtan

6. Craig says:

Really Americans as a whole are VERY peaceful

I take offense at that! I am not peaceful, nor is anyone I know! The study is obviously flawed, because there was another study recently that showed the only country more violent that the US was Iraq. And South Africa, but that can hardly be called a country, can it?

7. Redbelt says:

looks quite fair to me.

I must agree with this report. As a Bahraini who has lived in more than 7 different countries. Denmark is one of the most peaceful and its capital, Copenhagen, is a very charming quiet metropolitan city with very little pollution.

Definately a place worth visiting!

9. Aliandra says:

Mashstan;

Homeland Security has been very effective at preventing another terrorist attack. They’d caught a few plotters just last week.

Craig;

I’d say the low US ranking has to do with the Iraq war, not internal instability.

10. Ash says:

Hmmmn. What’s this, the Axis of Dangerousness Countries? I have to rework John Cleese’s Axis of Evil Wannabees for you …

Axis of Dangerous Wannabees
    by John Cleese (mutated by Ash the Mightily Dangerous)

“Bitter after being snubbed for membership in the “Axis of Dangerousness”, Columbia, Nigeria and Russia today announced that they had formed the “Axis of Just as Dangerous”, which they said would be more dangerous than that stupid Israel-Sudan-Iraq axis the Global Peace Index warned of.

“Axis of Dangerousnes members, however, immediately dismissed the new Axis as having, for starters, a really dumb name. “Right. They are just as dangerous . . . in their dreams!” declared Iraqi leader Jalal Talabani . “Everybody knows we’re the best dangerousness . . . best at being dangerous . . . we’re the best.”

“Diplomats from Russia denied they were jealous over being excluded, although they conceded they did ask if they could join the Axis of Dangerousness. “They told us it was full,” said Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“An axis can’t have more than three countries”, explained Sudanese President Omar Hassan Ahmad al-Bashir. “This is not my rule, it’s tradition. In World War II you had Germany, Italy, and Japan in the dangerousness Axis. So, you can only have three, and a secret handshake. Ours is wickedly cool.”

“International reaction to the Axis of Dangerousness declaration was swift, as within minutes, the French had all run away. Elsewhere, peer-conscious nations rushed to gain triumvirate status in what has become a game of geopolitical chairs. Kazakhstan, the USA and Serbia announced that they had formed the “Axis of Somewhat Dangerous”, forcing Iran to join with Venezuela and Thailand in the “Axis of Occasionally Dangerous”, while Britain, Costa Rica and Cyprus established the “Axis of Not So Much Dangerous Really as Just A Bit Risky …”

“With the criteria suddenly expanded and all the desirable clubs filling up, Gabon, Tanzania, and Libya applied to be called the “Axis of Countries That Aren’t the Worst But Certainly Won’t Be Asked to Host the Olympics”.

“Australia, Rumania and Poland formed the “Axis of Nations That Are Actually Quite Safe But Secretly Like to Spank Tourists”, while Scotland, New Zealand and Spain established the “Axis of Countries That Want Sheep to Wear Lipstick”. “That’s not a threat, really, just something we like to do”, said Scottish Executive First Minister Jack McConnell.

“While wondering if the other nations of the world weren’t perhaps making fun of them, the cautious Global Peace Index granted approval for most axis, although he rejected the establishment of the “Axis of Slightly Dangerous Countries Whose Names End in ‘Guay”, accusing one of its members of filing a false application. Officials from Paraguay, Uruguay, and Chadguay denied the charges.

(with apologies to Mr. Cleese …)

11. jasra jedi says:

Ash!

Well done! I was in dire need for some laughter too. Its fast becoming a weapon of mass dangerousness … and therefore not used much any more ..

12. Mike says:

What a farce of a “report”

13. Ansgar says:

I´ll stay in germany or europe. 🙂

14. Barry says:

Of course, it takes into the totality of the nation, rather than each region. Some areas of the US are naively trusting and peaceful, others, like many urban areas are pretty violent.

I find it totally awesome that the US is raked in the same color as Iran, Saudi Arabia, the Balkans, and Indonesia. That’s awesome. I’m a little surprised by Thailand and South Africa’s rankings.

Maybe I’ll move to NZ, or Chile, (the two most peaceful countries with similar enough climates to where I live now)

15. Esra'a says:

Mike in Oman, why do you say that? Is Oman unsafe? Last time I was there, the only thing missing was the unicorns. As a visitor, it seemed safe as hell, which is why I easily believed its high rank in this report.

16. Ethan says:

Oman is almost magically safe, from what I’ve read and heard.

To top it all off, there have been no terrorists (that I’d heard of) that have come from Oman either. What do they put in the drinking water there? Can they export some to the rest of the world? Or at least parts of the ME that desperately need its calming effects?

Ethan, Oman, from what I know and heard, is one of the most repressive states and is ruled with an iron fist. No one dares talk politics! But like the Emirates and Qatar, the locals are taken care of sufficiently not to poke their heads too much above the parapet.

As much as I love the scenery of Oman, the hodge-podge of Qatar and the glitter of the Emirates, they must be some of the most boring places on Earth – intellectually!

This is said with absolutely no malice nor any offence meant to my good friends and family members in both countries of course. I mean that. It’s just my simple opinion.

<ducking!>

18. Ann says:

😯 I can’t believe how low islands in the Caribbean ranked! 😯

But I think I was completely taken aback when I saw that Cuba was ranked higher then…the U.S.A. Yikes! 😎

19. K from Oslo says:

Yay, we won!

20. F says:

Ethan – water – Bush & Co. certainly needs an ocean’s worth just to stop harassing the rest of the planet!

21. Ibn says:

I would have thought Mongolia be blue – I mean – when was the last time anyone heard about anything hapenning in Mongolia?… Maybe ill have to visit it…

-Ibn

22. Esra'a says:

Ibn you’ll be surprised. Just because you don’t hear about it doesn’t mean things don’t happen. In my freshman year at college, my roommate was Mongolian whose boyfriend was shot in the arm in a gang fight. Street crime there is significant, as is sex trafficking.

Nothing beats Greenland… 840,000 sq miles yet its population is only slightly over 57,000!

23. Ibn says:

Thats true Esra’a…

24. dodie says:

Interesting article – site

Only I think some of the statistics are vastly wrong. For example the unemployment percent!

AUSTRIA shows 5% Unemployment
    UK 5% – Acceptable
    Germany 11% – Acceptable
    Romania 7% – Unacceptable
    Bahrain 9% – Acceptable
    South Africa 29% – Acceptable
    Kenya 8% – Unacceptable
    Etc.

I wonder if these figures are based on passport owners. Or are the 300,000 or so Nomadic Maasai of Kenya not included in the statistics?

Having lived off and on in East Africa the past 40 years I find these unemployment figures for many parts of Africa very hard to accept.

Regards