Tiësto who?

6 Jul, '07

Shady outfits can damage a country’s reputation faster and more thoroughly than almost anything else, especially if it a promised top-rating event, tickets sold and people arrive from all over the Gulf specifically for that event end up being shafted.

DJ Tiesto

Tickets were sold by someone called Ayman Al-Hamad who supposedly owns an outfit called B&D Entertainment and roped a lot of people in selling tickets to be part of DJ Tiësto‘s show in Bahrain. I don’t know and have never heard of this DJ before, but I am reliably informed that he is currently ranked #1 in the world. Tickets were priced up to BD100 and drinks – even water – was sold for up to BD12 per bottle (for something that normally is sold for BD0.100, you can count the criminal uplift – actually usury – yourself), but the world-famous DJ never showed up, much to the chagrin of his fans.

The DJ turned out to be smart too, as he refused to make an appearance unless he is fully paid before doing so. He smelt the shit, I think, and demanded his pay before hand. The money was not forthcoming; hence, he refused to budget from his position.

The so called “businessman” was caught running away in the early hours of the morning by the Causeway police with a reported BD25,000 in his possession. Rumour has it that he actually stashed hundreds of thousands of Dinars from the proceeds of ticket sales for this event.

Abadi, the Lebanese blogger in Bahrain has the full story here and apart from the full anger felt by the poor guy, it demonstrates the damage this Ayman guy has done to this country and the DJ’s fans. I hope that now this prick will be stripped completely off his holdings, refund the money (including costs) in full to the hapless victims and he never again be allowed to go into business in Bahrain. Jail is far too good a place for him and his like. This is a total breach of contract and confidence.

Filed in: Entrepreneurship

1. um naief says:

I wondered what happened and figured it was something like this.

You know… what is it w/ ppl trying to rip others off. It gets on my nerves. This has happened more times than I can count w/ the studio. Ppl who know the hubby will come in, promising to pay, get their work, use it and then never pay up. He did a big project last year w/ promises of big dinars… never saw a fils…. gosh, how i wanted to say cent! 😉

Sadly, because of that, we’ve been pressed to go into requesting money up front from many… including friends, because sometimes they can be the worst when it comes to paying.

2. I know Aymen very well and i guess the party that he threw last (tiesto) is a failure but nobody really knows why, i’ve heard news that tiesto said the 7000 people are not enough, and if you read about Djs and into the music world or into the music business like me you would actually know that tiesto is a bit arrogant.

Well, after all I say better luck next time Aymen.

Thank god i didn’t go and i couldn’t go although i wanted to but who the hell is Tiesto all i know is he is no PVD ( Paul Van Dyk ). but he is ok i guess.

3. If 7000 people aren’t enough of a crowd for the DJ then the promoter PB should have canceled the gig and refunded the money. And the DJ is well within his rights to demand his fee be paid UP FRONT. All ticket sales monies should be held in escrow until the event is completed. This insures a complete refund for everyone if, for whatever the reason the event is canceled. Concert and event promoters are known the world over for being some of the sleaziest business people. Ask any performing artist and they will tell you great stories of being hosed over by promoters.

Charging 12 BD ($32.00 us) for a 100 fill (aprox 30 us cents) while may not be criminal is immoral and unethical.

That’s an excellent suggestion CW. A trusted 3rd party should be required – by law or ministerial order – to hold monies paid for concerts in escrow until the event successfully concludes. Measures of success should be decided beforehand between the licensing authority (who is looking after the interests of the public) – if any – the artist and promoter.

This “promoter” Ayman should be chased out of business for ever as he has successfully destroyed the chances of any big event to be held here for months if not more.

5. Mahmood,

Bahrain can actually capitalize on this by enacting the “escrow” issue as well as requiring the promoter to file notarized copies of the contract between the artist(s) and the promoter and the venue where the event is to be held if needed. By doing this, the public would then be assured that the event is on the level. If some unforeseen issues arise and the event is forced to cancel, the paying public will receive their monies back. .

I see this as a good chance for Bahrain to take the lead in the region and build public confidence. I am not one for lots of government regulation but when you have a situation that entails large sums of money like the case with concert ticket sales, government has a duty to provide the public some basic protections. “Caveat Emptor” doesn’t really apply here.

6. Aliandra says:

06-07-2007

BAHRAIN CANCELLATION
    Dear fans, I am very sorry for what happened at the Marina Club in Bahrain last Wednesday. Allow me to explain to you what really took place.

The promoter disappeared after 1 a.m. with the DJ fee and the money everybody had paid for their tickets.

I still wanted to play at the party, so I was waiting for somebody to pick me up from the hotel and bring me to the venue. At 2 a.m., still nobody had arrived and we heard that police was already on the way to the venue. At that moment, I had no other choice than to stay in my hotel room.

The promoter tried to escape Bahrain, but luckily he got caught near the Saudi Arabian border. He is in jail at this moment.

Again, I am very sorry for what happened and I will definitely try to find a way to make it up with all my fans who bought tickets for the show.

Tiësto

7. Barry says:

Tiesto is well known in the club circuit. Not my style (I prefer DJs like Armand Van Helden, Kaskade, and Sander Kleinenberg).

I think it’s pretty fair for a performer to be able to set the minimum or maximum number of attendees allowed at an event they’re performing. It happens all the time with other musicians (I’ve seen some play limited shows that can only hold a hundred or so people and these are well known artists). Also, Tiesto was right in asking for money upfront. I agree with CW, if the promoter couldn’t pony up the number of people, he should’ve cancelled the show, and refunded the money rather than running with it.

Wikipedia has a fairly negative and one sided paragraph about the thing, referencing Leb in Bahrain’s blog. I think it’s too early to say who’s the real bad guy here, but of course if a performer doesn’t show up, it’s the performer who looks bad (sometimes it’s true, sometimes not).

Looks like Ayman was bailed out yesterday. And now he is desperately trying to turn the table on Tiesto in a really stupid manner. No explanation from the “businessman” as to why he was caught trying to escape via Saudi with BD25,000 in his possession of course.

9. Sad says:

I think it’s just sad; Ayman is notorious for his unorthodox business ways and the Tiesto fiasco certainly doesn’t come as a surprise to anyone that has had dealings with the self-proclaimed “super promoter” in the past. He was counting on the door ticket sales to cover the remaining of the DJ fee; he failed to attract a sufficient number of attendees, didn’t have the monies to pay Tiesto (or would not have had any more to pay all the other contractors/parties if he did); he was already in contractual breach with Tiesto for changing the venue location and failing to meet stage set-up and number of attendees requirements. Ayman waited and waited until 1am hoping more people would show up so he could pay Tiesto; in the mean time told Tiesto to start playing and that he was going to pay him with the door monies; Tiesto very rightfully and wisely refused and Ayman decided to run away to KSA with whatever monies he could put his hands on. I think it’s just sad.

10. F says:

I heard that the people who attended the
    Marina club event are now filing a case
    against the promoter.

Hope everyone gets their monies back.

11. SAD

whatever you are saying makes lots of sense, it sounds so perfect.

I’d believe so because i have heard unexplainable bullshit from everybody the was involved in organizing the concert or had to do anything with it.

12. Bubz says:

I was there at the concert. It was interesting, the gradual deterioration of the crowd’s patience.

What was really horrible was that MC Hanan’s constant screaming not to mention that they tried to imitate tiesto’s voice to assure people that he was “at the venue”… blatantly obvious and quite an insult.

I had complimentary tickets, and even *I* want a refund because I got cut by shards of a beer bottle that was broken on some poor sap’s head.

Drinks + Men + Hours of waiting + No DJ + Annoying MC = Bleeding finger

Oh and the VVIP section had no tissues for me to wrap up the cut. Go figure.

Wonder whats really going on. Tiesto’s apology and Ayman rebuttal. This will be interesting. But with Sonique not showing up earlier in the year, Lloyd Banks pulling a no show, and now Tiesto.. I don’t know if the concert scene in Bahrain is even worth it.

13. I says:

Definitely the promoters fault. From experience, the deal usually goes: Promoter books artist and artist sends a rider. At this point a percentage of the fee is sent to confirm the booking. This can often be up to 50%.
    The rider will contain all the information that the promoter needs to stage the concert/gig. Information regarding the size of stage, lighting and sound requirements and personal requirements of the artist. At around the same time, the promoter will inform the artist approximately how many people are expected, the size of the venue etc.
    The remainder of the money is usually expected to be paid before the gig starts.
    When the promoter is looking at putting on a concert or gig, many factors have to be considered. One major one is sponsorship. Usually sponsorship covers the majority of the fees of the artist and entourage, if not all the fees, the ticket money being the icing on the cake. To rely on a large number of people to cover the fees is definitely not a prudent method of working. To base your break-even on the a variable audience is not good business.

In this case, if the promoter didn’t give the full disclosure of information to the artist, and didn’t pay the remainder of the fee, then the artist has every right to stay put in his hotel room. I would be surprised if the number of attendees would be a factor for Tiesto, unless he had been promised a far larger audience than was going to turn up.

All this has done is give Bahrain a bad rap. Same with the first Nancy Ajram concert. I feel sorry for the fans who turned up and paid their hard-earned cash. Maybe this will act as a lesson for other dodgy promoters who think that this is an easy way to get cash. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. Just look at how few good promoters there are in the Gulf. Very very few indeed. It’s not that easy. People think it is and get their fingers burnt.
    Incidentally, the reason we don’t see any good concerts by top artists in Bahrain as opposed to Dubai is, in my opinion, because there is no interest from the business sector, and the government won’t put it’s hand in it’s pocket to finance such concerts. If Bahraini businesses would spend some money, the country could have top international entertainment on a regular basis.

I’ll get off my soapbox now. . .

I

14. The whole story I posted and take it from Aymen’s mouth.

Hope I answer most of your questions.

The whole story I posted and take it from Aymen’s mouth.

Hope I answer most of your questions.

You posted from Saudi? What, you’re preparing
    Aymans bunker for him?

So who bailed Ayman out? Apparently he
    was seen in Likwid on Monday night posing
    with his laptop on the bar. Class act,
    huh?

16. lydia says:

We are some of the foolish people having spent time and money going from GCC countries to Bahrain dreaming that we’ll enjoy a night party with our preferred DJ “Tiesto” last July 4th. We stood several inconveniences during our trip to Bahrain as many of GCC residents and all this was ending in a huge fiasco.

After the facts, we have followed day by day during a period of time the news regarding the actions taken against the organizer and also how, where and when the refund of tickets will be announced officially.

Since, Ayman Al Haddad strolls himself by the GCC and should be enjoying the money of all those idiots as us that paid for the show.

Journalists spoke for about a week of the matter in diverse medias, nowadays, three months after the facts no announcement and either any of them has given sign or has been interested in informing in which the money of the fees was converted. Upon, no news is spread or has appeared in the newspapers.

Or maybe we just missed the information appearing somewhere else of what step later??

17. Murhaf says:

😎

Wussup all ?

it’s was a huge disappointment for all of us who went to ” DJ Tiesto’s ” party …

it was more than like a turn down … I really can’t blame the DJ nor the party nation for what they have done … cuz’ most of us came from far away and have waited for three hrs. on the causway from Saudi … cuz’ we thought it worth it … but that girl who was always kept on blaffing and tlaking the whole party made it even more worse … by laying to all of the audiences by saying that Tiesto is on the way in every and each 5 minutes …

anyhow, I’ve been into many parties in Europe ” The Czech Rep. ” and I saw Dj Tiesto Playing in Creamfields … it was the ” BOMB “!

there should be more open-minded organizers !!

if it will get into the hands of bussinessmen who don’t know what is ” RAVE MUZIK ” all about then I don’t believe that the party will be a party …!!

Listen to :

Tiesto – Sunset on Ibiza
    James Holden – Nothing ( 93 returning mix )
    Echomen – Substance of the wave

a little somethin’ to whom really appreciate good PROGRESSIVE HOUSE MUZIK !!

😉

18. Murhaf says:

Proud Bahraini,

With all due respect ….!!

if you are saying that you are into the worldsnews of music … then actually you aren’t !!

you might be into rap or somethin’ else but sure thing it’s not rave …

you should get download some of tiesto’s live session sets and some videos … you’ll find many live ones … and see how tiesto rocks the party right …!!

to be more clear, Tiesto is a trance Dj who plays more Comercials …

yet he is pretty good at what he does …!!

when he plays, he gets the job done …!!

and about Aymen …!!

well, if there were any honest one then nobody will leave the concert without paying back …!!

I’m one of the ppl. who rather to enjoy it by :

having MC Hannan to ” SHUT UP ” !!
    and to leave the playing Dj actually play !!

how can a Dj play while the Mc is cheering for another Dj …!!

I felt bad for that Dj …!!

cool down ppl. !!!

it’s music …!!

we ” as the party nation ” are attending these events just to enjoy the music, the dance and the whole atmosphere of the party …!!

I have gone to sooooo many parties that I really can’t count … nothing wrong occured !!

cuz’the promoters themselves are from the music nation, as party ppl. or music lovers …!!

and one thing that I saw in bahrain that I have never seen anywhere else …!!

that some of the ” RAP ” lovin’ nation are going to the ” Rave ” venue !!

I’m not saying that it’s bad or anything but it’s surprising !!

😎