Calibrating the monitor

15 Jul, '07

Have you wondered why pictures look okay on your own monitor but if you view them on a web-page or on another computer they are completely different as far as colour and saturation is concerned?

This is due to the calibration of your monitor and the embedded colour profile within the image file. Calibration equipment can be expensive, but surely there must be a way to calibrate your monitor to be the same as displaying something on a web-page isn’t there?

Since I re-installed my OS due to a hard disk replacement, my settings have gone awry. The following picture, for instance, looks rich on my laptop’s screen with the flowers in red hot pink and the bee in bright yellow, yet when I look at it in Firefox once uploaded to Flickr the colours and contrast are definitely subdued.

I should re-look at the calibrations.

Anyone has a proper profile for the black MacBook? Please share!

Bee in flight

Bee in flight, originally uploaded by malyousif.

Filed in: Technology

Apparently this is a known problem with later FireFox versions on Mac OS X (ref1 ref2)

I re-uploaded the picture again in sRGB but no joy.

2. Whatever the case, the picture is stunning nonetheless.

3. hashim says:

wow mahmood… this is an amazing shot. It looks stunning.

4. Skeptic says:

Great Piccie

Do you also need calibration for the rose tinted spectacles we all wear?

5. Barry says:

Well, your reds come out as a hot pink on my monitor!

It’s the inaccuracy of monitors which is the reason when picking fabric to always get a sample to see the color live. A good example of this is I recently bought 3 yards of a linen cloth dyed in a color the fabric is marketed as “midori” (the Japanese word for green). On my monitor it’s kind of a gray green. When I received it, the cloth was closer to chartreuse. Neither true midori nor gray green (its closer to the color the Japanese call “moegi” or a sprout green color.

Sorry, the colour IS actually “hot pink” – I was having a brainfart moment.

7. um naief says:

aaahhh… i love this. looks like he’s coming straight to ya! 🙂

8. milter says:

I’m not quite sure if you have solved the problem or not, but here’s a link that might help.

9. Barry says:

Ohh ha ha, well then, it appears my monitor is correctly callibrated 🙂

10. Great colors! Great photo!

thanks milter, I’ll have a look.

12. milter says:

Mahmood, if you decide to delve into the bottom of the role of ICC-profiles, calibration etc., etc., be careful!

I got stuck in it and it took several weeks before I surfaced again. You have to go through all elements in your graphic equipment, including camera, scanner, screen, graphics editor, paper, ink and printer.

In the end my conclusion was that, if you want to go for consistent colours across different setups, stick to sRGB all the way through. If you want to work with colours professionally, each unit has to be calibrated regularly.

Many professionals work with Adobe RGB but, in my experience you’ll often end up with dull pictures when you move pictures created in that outside your own, perfectly calibrated environment.