English Border populated

17 Oct, '07
English Border planting plan

English Border planting plan, originally uploaded by malyousif.

Movement! We have movement!

I’ve had a chance yesterday afternoon to bite the bullet and start planting. The final result is what you see above in the map, and if all that I have planted come through (and they should) this patch will look like a piece of Heaven!

I’ve chosen the plants based on colour, size and height. Other than the Calendula seedlings – which I grew in my make-shift nursery – which have been planted about a foot apart around the whole plot (see area 10), the remainder are all actually seeds which I have dispersed on the ground and then lightly covered with soil. I watered the whole plot with the mist setting on the watering gun in order not to let the seeds run from one area to another, or worse, just collect at the bottom of the hill. I’ve had that happen before! I hope that the drip lines won’t do that to them, they shouldn’t but I will keep an eye on the patch until the seedlings appear.

The plant distribution is as follows:

[TABLE=2]

Filed in: Gardening

1. meggie whetstone says:

I tried Huskers Red while I was on a Penstemon binge several years ago. ( Terrible thing a Penstemon binge, you have lost weekends in the greenhouse, and you get over-excited during Gardeners Question Time on Radio 4.)

Verdict: Impressive. Best of the Penstemons. Doesn’t last for ever in my conditions though, so I rear some new ones from seed every few years. I have been planting the replacements in the same spot, with some added compost, and they seem to do quite well. In fact I’ve calmed down quite a lot now….

Meggie

2. Mahmood says:

I look forward to having the same experience Meggie and thanks to the Internet, I’ll look up this Gardeners Question Time on Radio 4 too! 🙂

3. Mahmood says:

I’m happy to report that the Night Scented Stock seedlings have made an appearance already!

4. Mahmood says:

I checked this morning and there are a lot more seedlings appear. The Cosmos is the most spectacular so far!

5. Anwar Y Abdulrahman says:

Mahmood,
    Just make sure the grass sprinkler does not shower this beatiful border. As you know, some flowers are sensitive to watering from top.
    Regards
    Anwar

6. Mahmood says:

There is no avoiding it sometimes Anwar. I take pains with positioning the sprinklers, but because of the narrowness of the lawn in some places and as the sprinkler heads come with a minimum throw of 10 feet, some do sprinkle the beds.

I am in the process of looking for and will experiment with more efficient sprinkler heads/systems and will post my trials here.

If you have a suggestion or a favourite kind of sprinkler or supplier, please let me know.

7. Anwar Y Abdulrahman says:

Well, I use Rainbird sprinklers (from New Jassim) and they come in different ranges like 3, 6, and 9 feets..try to keep sprinkler shower as low as possible near that area..fankly I don’t know how but the company that installed these sprinklers did it for me in some locations..I have noticed that once the flowers gorw in size to 30-40 cm, some will avoid being too wet and will continue flowering.

8. Mahmood says:

I’ll have a look at them at lunch time. Mine were from Al-Mahroos (who are the agents for Rainbird) and sell the parabolic shower variety. I’ll see what Jassim has, but from my experience their stuff is normally cheap and overpriced if you know what I mean. I hate their drip system for instance. I still buy from them; however, as they are convenient.

9. Mahmood says:

Unfortunately Anwar they don’t have anything with a spray radius of less that 10 feet at the moment. The guy said they have 10, 12, 14 etc but nothing below.

I might have to physically move a couple of sprinklers to ensure that they don’t drench the new borders.