Hanging baskets

9 Dec, '07

This is the first time I try my hands at hanging baskets.

I bought 4 large ceramic hanging baskets from Al-Sultan Garden Centre in Khobar a while ago and they’ve been staring at me in the shed since. I finally got the chance to coax them off the shelf and onto brackets in the weekend (Sat, 8 Dec, ’07). With the help of my daughter Hanan, we installed four brackets on the walls of the house by the pool and hung the pots. They look quite funky: yellow, orange, white and white.

Once installed, I planted the following seeds in individual pots and am hoping for the best:

[TABLE=6]

As I had a few Nasturtiums and Freesias left over, I planted them in two independent pots which I placed on the front porch. The left-over Nasturtiums I planted in the front-door planter.

I’m looking forward to once again eat the spicy Nasturtium flowers!

Filed in: Gardening

1. Barry says:

Nasturtiums are considered “too coomon” by most people here so they ger overlooked, but they really are a rather tropical looking vine. They like our climate here so much that they;’ve been known to take over entire canyons if let loose.

2. Mahmood says:

I planted one in the border last year and really enjoyed having it around. It became scraggly but it continued to produce its weird flowers and it did spread a bit. I guess once they do root, it’s possibly hard to kill them!

3. Barry says:

Nasturtiums come from cool cloudforests, so that might be why it got scraggly for you, although it’s hard NOT to get them to flower. Since you don’t want to harm your caperbush, you can actually pickle young nasturtium seedpods I hear.

4. frank says:

Hello,

I found you from a link on Mona’s site… yup, I’m “that” Frank. It has been a while since I last saw Khobar and Bahrain. Honestly, though, other than getting shot at, and a few other unpleasant things, the flora is what I remember most from my visit to the Middle East. The people at the museum which now holds my photographs have asked me why I “wasted” so much film on plants.

For myself, I look back and wonder why I “wasted” so much film on blown up buildings and such. I was a soldier once and young, I suppose. I honestly did not expect to see anything but sand in the desert. Not so, though.

I never took the time when visiting Arab homes to look at their gardens, other than to watch for Iraqi soldiers possibly hidden there. I see now what I might have missed. Maybe next time I’ll leave my rifle home and bring more film. It would certainly be more fun that way.

Frank

5. Mahmood says:

Most certainly worth leaving weapons behind and bringing a camera or just a fresh set of eyes to look at the wondrous gardens we have hiding behind high perimeter walls.

Penetrating those walls – so to speak – is one of the objectives of Mahmood’s Garden as suggested by Anwar. I am planning organising some garden visits which I hope that the owners will allow us to photograph and post. For those visits, you are more than welcome to join, even if you do so only virtually for the moment!

6. Barry says:

It’s amazing what you find behind people’s walls.

When I was in a small town called Buenavista in Mexico (the state of Queretaro), one old woman, who lived in a simple two room, cinder block house and sold tamales for a bit of income, had this incredible behind her house and property walls. There were Asclepias curassavica, a spineless nopal (prickly pear), fruit trees, lots of flowers. She even turned old cans into hanging planters stuck into hooks hanging from her wall. It was amazing to see.