Bahrain Garden Show coming up!

11 Feb, '08

It’s only a few days to the much awaited Bahrain International Garden Show which will take place at the Bahrain International Exhibition Centre in Sanabis from Feb 22 – 24, my birthday falling on the 23rd is no coincidence of course, they asked and I gave my blessing!

No no. I’m really looking forward to it this year. I’ve got a little more experience as a gardener now and I think I know what to look for and more importantly, to hold myself back from getting things that I don’t need!

The difference this year also is that I entered my garden into the “young gardens” competition whose criteria includes gardens under 4 years old. I’m not sure if I will win anything, it would be good if I do of course, but I’m looking forward to critiques by the judges from the Bahrain Garden Club, ladies (and gentlemen) whose experience and expertise far outstrips mine.

The judging will take place on Feb 16 and 17th. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Wish me luck!

Filed in: Gardening

1. Barry says:

Your garden inspires me to get off my ass and really work on my own garden! Good luck!

2. Mahmood says:

Thanks my friend!

3. Barry says:

You’re welcome! I think my focus should now be on perennials to fill in all of the blank spots. I’ve got plenty of backbone, but it really needs some fleshing out.

4. Laurie says:

I’m envious of the stucco walls in your garden; they form such a nice back drop for the plants you’ve selected.

Good luck on the garden contest, I think you’ll do well. For a young garden, it’s filled in beautifully.

5. Mohammed says:

Feb 22-24 hmm…. I might just catch the last day of the garden show, hopefully flying into Bahrain on the 23,what a treat! Best of luck in the competition; today Bahrain, tomorrow the Chelsea RHS flower show!

6. meggie whetstone says:

Well?

C’mon, tell us..

7. meggie whetstone says:

This isn’t just like life and death you know. This is a flower and produce show. So go on, give us the verdict.

If it’s any consolation, I have seen an RAF Tornado write off a whole row of prizewinning Sweet Peas (never choose an allotment at the end of the runway), so I’m very broad minded about these things.

Oh shoot, no I’m not….

8. Mahmood says:

The judges visited the garden yesterday morning and afternoon. Unfortunately I wasn’t available at both times, so they were accompanied around the garden by our maid in the morning and luckily by Frances in the afternoon. Both Frances and the maid tell me that the judges said that “they loved it” but other than that, I’ll have to wait for a few days for them to reach their final decision.

I’ll let you know what happens for sure. Don’t you worry. And thanks for your wishes, they are much appreciated.

9. Barry says:

Fantastic, I can’t wait for the results.

Does the Bahrain Garden Club do garden tours? I’m sort of affiliated with the Mediterranean Garden Society (as far as on their mailing list :)), but they often will do tours in different gardens, both at home and abroad.

10. Mahmood says:

I’m not sure about planned the garden tours, but as Bahrain is really small, I think ad hoc ones definitely happen.

11. Azmat says:

Hi, i dont know much about this show, can u please give me details about the coming bahrain flower show or the web site address.

12. Mahmood says:

Of course Azmat, here’s the address: