Orchids!

22 Feb, '08
Orchids!

Orchids!, originally uploaded by malyousif.

Frances and I are just back from the Garden Show, and these babies are her present to me for my birthday tomorrow. I don’t care very much for the birthday as taking care of these over the next few months… I’ve got plans!! 😀

Have a wonderful Friday my friends…

Filed in: Thoughts

1. Sam says:

Mahmood – what did you make of the Garden Show? 🙄

It’s okay, nothing earth shattering (as usual). There are a couple of Syrian stands worth looking at though their prices are very much on the high side. The Thai Orchid stall is a must to see.

I’ll go there again tomorrow if I have the time to have another look.

Over all, it’s worth having a stroll if you have the time.

3. gardens of sand says:

Happy Bday Mahmood! 3o2bal meet sana. Orchids are so beautiful, aren’t they?

4. Barry says:

Nice Mahmood. Careful, those orchids might attempt to attach to your wall (just like my old boss had a Philodendron literally climbing her wall because she never did anything but water it).

I’m good with most indoor plants, but terrible with getting orchids to rebloom (except Cymbidiums). However, the jewel orchids in my terrarium are currently in bloom.

Thanks GS!

Barry, I have a plan for these plants. Yes I do. I’ll let you in once I’ve studied it a bit more. 😉

6. Ali says:

I tried orchids a couple of years ago, hung them up on the wall light like you but they died…. very difficult.The summer gets too hot if you turn off your AC during the day when you are at work.

7. Kate says:

Happy Birthday Mahmood,

Tony has orchids here and gets them to re-bloom over and over making my kitchen look like a garden centre. They are truly lovely though.
    Have a fab day.
    Kate.

I can get tips then! Brilliant! Like Ali, the last lot I had bloomed just once (rather shyly) and never again. I’m doing some research on them now and hope to have better luck this time ’round.

Thanks Kate, and say hi to everyone.

9. Great post and some very beautiful orchids. I see from the picture you provided that you have what looks like a Vanda/Ascoscenda and a Cattleya orchid on a stick. Remember, these orchids enjoy bright light so you may want to move them after they bloom.
    Thanks,