Delivered a lecture at Princeton University

5 Mar, '08
At Princeton University
lecture at Princeton University

findingourvoice-thumb.jpgAt the invitation of Daoud Kuttab, the visiting Ferris Professor of “New Media and the Arab World” at Princeton University, I gave a lecture to his students this morning about the Middle East Human Rights and Freedom of Expression situations from a blogger’s and political activist’s perspective. This is essentially the same presentation I did at RAND last week, but obviously to a different audience.

The talk was well received and generated many insightful questions by the students.

I’ve uploaded a zipped copy of my presentation (pdf 17MB), click the thumbnail to download it.

We’re having a fantastic time here – very busy actually, but very much worth it. We’re enjoying New York tremendously. I’ve been uploading some pictures on the Flickr album whenever I got a chance, I’ll hopefully upload many more once we get back home.

Filed in: Politics

1. PerseusQ8 says:

Just read your excellent slides. Wished I’d been there 🙂

Way to go, sir!

2. mdc says:

Very nice, Mahmood. From a lone blogger voice in the wilderness to guest speaker at Rand & Princeton; you make us proud.

Now for the really important stuff…..did you get to meet Steve, and is that Ibn standing beside you? 😈 Never mind, too old to be Ibn cause we all know he’s just a babe in the woods.

Safe trip and hurry back to tell us all about it.

I met both! And it was a pleasure to put faces to names. Both, I suspect, want to continue to be weighed by their words rather than names and images, so I’m sure you won’t mind if I keep the specifics to myself, unless, of course, they themselves want to make those details public.

It was an honour and a pleasure to do both RAND and Princeton. Both will last with me for a long time.

Princeton was impressive, seeing freshmen and women reading The Princetonian and various heavyweight broadsheets like The New York Times, Washington Post and others is really impressive. The class I attended showed people from various backgrounds and hail from different countries very much in tune with the world happenings and politics is refreshing and bodes well to the future.

4. mdc says:

“so I’m sure you won’t mind if I keep the specifics to myself”

You are right of course. Besides, I would rather hold on to my vision of Steve in shining armor riding on his white horse steadfastly defending the reputation of America across the globe; and Ibn, well somehow I see him in shining armor riding on his white horse steadfastly defending the reputation of the Arab world across the globe. Good grief; who’d have thunk it!

I think it says much about you that you came; your observations say much about what is good about America, and there is a lot that is good.

5. Abu Arron says:

Excellent presentation Mahmood, I am not at all surprised it was well received. Assuming you permitted a Q&A session, it must have over-ran by an inordinate amount.

Most definitely an education to a knowledge thirsty audience. Well done.

6. ammaro says:

excellent job mahmood! always amazing to see bahrainis represent! and im sure you showed a great image. enjoy new york!