Out with the old…

11 May, '08
Out with the old...

Out with the old…, originally uploaded by malyousif.

After maybe a couple of years with the MacMini, I thought it was about time to retire the old thing and replace it with a fresh 2.66 iMac 20″.

The experience so far is standard (boring?) painless Mac. I plugged the Firewire cable into the old MiniMac, restarted while holding T and it was instantly recognised by the new iMac which is currently transferring all that could be transferred across to the new machine.

Me happy!

Filed in: Technology

1. Sam says:

Oh man!

Beautiful machine! BUT… for heavens sake get rid of that ridiculous mouse pad! Mice are now optical and work on any surface! The jungle of wires & cables need taming, and please get rid of that hideous trash can that’s lined with a used supermarket plastic bag! 😆

I think a warm colored rug under your table would be nice though.

Thanks Sam, and I agree completely!

BUT, the mouse pad has sentimental value. The tangle of wires has to wait till the weekend, and I’ve already got a rug in the room and don’t fancy another. I like my feet on the cold tiles 😉

3. Hani says:

Nice! I need me one of those!

4. Alex says:

These machines r becoming so mainstream too! I recently ordered my 3Ghz 24inch, around 930BD all the way delivered to my home was just incredible! Just 1 tip, replace your mighty mouse thingy (which I dearly hate) with Razor Death Adder mouse (I know the name sounds creepy), amazing mouse I’ve been using for a while, selling on Amazon for $44.. pretty good deal too.

5. I really like the table you set the iMac on, Congrats!

Do you like the slim keyboard?

Wish you the best of luck.

The only reason I didn’t get a 24″ iMac is that it would really block my view of my front garden, a sight that I treasure a lot more than the computer!

I decided to buy this from iMachines in Bahrain, although the price is a bit higher than Amazon etc, buying local does it for me, even if I have to spend a little bit extra.

7. Mohd Yusif says:

A friend of mine bought his online from the Apple store directly and had it couriered to his front door via Aramex who charged him 2.5BD/KG

and he STILL managed to make a saving after he factored in the cost of shipping. Plus, the new iMac had just launched and it was 2-3 weeks before they even started to appear in Bahrain 🙂

8. Yousif says:

my oh my…an available yummy mummy. I have a nice retirement home for your MacMini with cute little Linux penguins and hand-picked home-compiled applications. Oh man…the fun we could have on my desk (pun intended :P). When can I pick her up?

😀

Unfortunately for you it already received a new home and its new owners are thrilled with it! Seriously 😎

But thanks for the offer.

10. loki says:

nice, I was gonna ask if you need a buyer but I guess that’s already taken care of.

I was fixing my son’s old G4 iMac today. I’m having to resort to booting off a firewire drive 🙁 (oh well). This would have been perfect 😛

Incidentally, check out the new(ish) bluetooth keyboard from apple its one of Apple’s best pieces (IMHO) of industrial design ever, and that’s saying something! One less cable for the cable salad. I believe its about 35 BD at iMachine ( no , I don’t work there…).

11. Romster says:

In the book : taking pictures for dummies and bloggers. The first rule says:”while taking a picture infront of a reflective object like a mirror (window in your case), make sure you don’t take a picture of your self……especially if you are NAKED.
    Made you look
    Mabrooook the new toy

And what’s wrong with my picture – naked? I quite like that view. Very dashing! 😈

Loki I promise you that this machine replaced about 8 or 9 power plugs, and as it is equipped with wireless connectivity, that’s an ethernet cable less too. I quite like it..

As to your requirement for a used mac, maybe I should start a “for sale/to buy” section, an idea that I have been toying with for some time!

13. Ali M. says:

Mabrook Mahmood.

Me got me one of those too. You will keep on loving it as the days go by…

14. Ibn says:

Mahmood,

Have you ever gone through the windows-to-linux learning curve? Is it worth it?

-Ibn

Depends on what you want to do with it. I am way past the time where I tinker with things “because it’s cool.” I have adopted the principal of as much as possible, use the tool that will get the job done on time and on budget. Every other consideration is secondary. That’s why I am really happy with Macs because they allow me to do what I want to do now and do it right first time.

I do use Linux for my servers, and again the Mac allows me to drop to the shell and do remote control of the servers etc without a hitch. Knowing Linux, BSD and IRIX allows me to feel comfortable where you drop me for “normal” administrative things, but if the waters get a bit deeper, then I have to shout for help!

16. Kate says:

Snap!! Tony bought one of these for Christmas and I love it, I’ve never had a Mac before and I am hooked big time.

That’s the experience that people get when using a Mac generally, and I should know, I have been hooked on it since about 1987! Lovin’ it!

18. underthepalmtree says:

Yippeah!!!!! I got the new I-Mac the first day the new ones hit the apple stores in the USA, 2 weeks ago.

THis is all in thanks to “Uncle Sam” and our silly rebates checks.

I love it so much I feel like giving it a “nickname”.

Who on earth would need a 24 inch?

Don’t you love the chrome silver?

I used MAC in college in the 80’s, I kinda feel disloyal that I went to windows for so many years…. but…….MAC I’M BACK!!! 🙂

19. What with the Vista debacle and Microsoft’s general indifference to quality, I think the market is poised to swing toward the Mac. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see Apple eat up Microsoft’s share of the computer market, swapping their minor/major market share within the next ten years. It may be time to invest some money in Apple stock.

20. loki says:

1987? Mac Plus or Mac SE or did you go all out and have a Mac II ?

Mac 128 then Plus and then Mac LC then LC II (I think) and then Quadra etc… not to mention the Newton and other sexy things on the way too!

22. I says:

Mahmood,
    Go on, admit it. You couldn’t play the right games on the MacMini . . .
    I started with a Mac Plus, bought from the Apple Center in Bahrain in ’87. No hard drive, external floppy and a dot matrix printer. BD1,600/-. Thank God things have changed!
    Currently run a PowerBook and a Windoze machine. Look forward to returning to the Mac fold full time, especially since you can run both platforms from the single machine.

I know that I will sound weird saying this, but I have never been a computer game player! I know, sad, but it’s the truth. I tried but never had the patience or inclination. I don’t even do Solitaire unless absolutely bored out of my skull in an airport somewhere, and even then, I have to remember that the machine does contain some games!

Now when it comes to realising how frustratingly slow a machine gets for video editing, that’s a different story. And this one is much faster than even the MacBook 😉