We’re experiencing growth at Gulf Broadcast and I have to gear up for that influx of new staff and revise the current structure of induction. The intention is to get the new staff to reach productivity levels much faster than we ever had and make their journey a more rewarding one. We already have quite a comprehensive Staff Handbook which we kept revised over the years and I’m happy with its comprehensive content now. It really helps in the induction process.
One thing that it didn’t have; however, is a clear set of ground rules for everyone to follow, so I devised the following 13 Commandments to make sure that everyone is on board.
- I’m not your friend.
- I’m your boss.
- I need to see results within one month.
- Don’t bring politics and religion into the office.
- Reports must be filled in and submitted.
- Business cards and any other material you produce or acquire in the course of representing Gulf Broadcast and while in our employ, remain the property of Gulf Broadcast. This is why you’re getting paid.
- If in doubt, ask.
- Don’t be late. Be on time. Always.
- Participate effectively in the Daily Huddle.
- Filing. Do it properly.
- Respect confidentiality. Do not send company or client documents to your personal email or drive.
- Be presentable. Wear business appropriate attire at all times.
- You will be judged on results, attitude, chemistry and team work.
I’ve listed these in no particular order. I know they might sound harsh to some; however, at least they are declared and everyone knows where they stand as well as what’s expected of them. This, hopefully, will create a better and more productive work environment and takes the guessing out of the equation.
Do you have any ground rules you set for your business? I’d love to know. Share in the comments please and don’t forget to Like Mahmood’s Den on Facebook too.