Who hasn’t been inspired in one way or another by Mohammed Ali? From his famous “float like a butterfly, sting like a bee” to the defence of his titles as well as his human rights activities.
I’m going to miss him, and though I’m not an avid boxing fan, I am so grateful to have witnessed some of his most memorable fights in my lifetime.
Here’s a compilation of some of his quotes, courtesy of pix11:
- “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. His hands can’t hit what his eyes can’t see.”
- “I’m not the greatest, I’m the double greatest.”
- “Don’t count the days; make the days count.”
- “A man who has no imagination has no wings.”
- “If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it—then I can achieve it.”
- “It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.”
- “I’m young; I’m handsome; I’m fast. I can’t possibly be beat.”
- “It’s hard to be humble when you’re as great as I am.”
- “A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
- “If you even dream of beating me you’d better wake up and apologize.”
- “Braggin’ is when a person says something and can’t do it. I do what I say.”
- “I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was.”
- “I should be a postage stamp. That’s the only way I’ll ever get licked.”
- “Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”
- “He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.”
- “If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.”
- “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’”
- “At home I am a nice guy: but I don’t want the world to know. Humble people, I’ve found, don’t get very far.”
- “Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn’t matter which color does the hating. It’s just plain wrong.”
- “Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you’re going to be right.”
Rest in peace Mohammed Ali.