Here’s a list I received detailing the opposition’s requirements to enter the national dialogue called for by the Crown Prince. I cannot vouch for them as I cannot get independent confirmation, but they look genuine and represent them here for their informational value, and hope that we can start this dialogue here too.
Objectives of the Revolution of Anger of the people of Bahrain
Emphasis on the achievement of popular demands:
1. Dismissal of the government and the formation of a government elected by the people
2. Cancellation of the 2002 Constitution and all laws passed by decree
3. The formation of a national body of ten elected members by the people to formulate a new constitution that abolishes all the king’s powers and that he be a symbol of the country and that legislative and regulatory powers are fully in the hands of an elected council (parliament).
4. Amend the electoral law so that the people elect all members of Parliament in which the cabinet ministers will be selected from 25% of the members of parliament
5. Cancellation of all boards and councils immediately and ensure that all executive agencies are subject to the elected govenrment
6. Comprehensive reforms of the judiciary and the restructuring of the Supreme Judicial Council which shall be constituted of judges and lawyers elected by the people
7. Abolition of the powers of all naturalized citizens to prevent them from participation in the electoral process or to stand for election until a law regulating naturalization and the Bahraini nationality is promulgated
8. Prevent the army from participating in the electoral process
9. Ensure that all corrupt persons stand public trials, as should those practicing sectarianism and re-open the Bandergate file and prevent any judicial and public prosecution powers of issuing any gag orders relating to any case concerned with public opinion
10. The return of all looted lands and coasts and the nationalization of real estate projects such as Amwaj Islands and Alzalamah and Riffa Views to be within the purview of the Ministry of Housing to equitably distribute the wealth to the citizens
11. Instating Bahraini citizens in jobs which are currently occupied by foreigners, especially those in the ministries of interior and defense without any sectarian discrimination
12. Dismissal of all heads of agencies, boards and institutions at the same time as dissolving the cabinet
13. Bring to account all those who practiced corrupt practices before 2002
14. Fairly compensate the families of martyrs and all those affected during the past twenty years
To engage in national dialogue, a minimum of four of these popular demands must implemented.
Do you think these demands reasonable? Especially the precondition to enter the national dialogue only when a minimum of four demands are met?