2007 Press Freedom Survey

6 Feb, '07

It’s that time again; RSF released it’s 2007 Press Freedom Survey and Bahrain again does not fair well… their map of Bahrain is resolutely black in this area. Here’s what they have to say about us:

The monarchy’s progress towards democracy has not included decriminalising press offences and the regime continues to control the media.

The democratic reforms of Sheikh Hamad, a Sunni Muslim, since he came to power in 1999, quickly faded before the demands of the country’s Shiite majority for a voice. Journalists are increasingly critical of the regime, but the press laws, which allow prison sentences from between six months and five years, prevent normal working conditions, so self-censorship is still the best way to keep one’s job.

The supreme court banned the media on 4 October 2006 from mentioning in any way a scandal known as Bandargate, involving the royal family and some politicians, that led to the deportation of Sudanese-born British citizen Salah al-Bandar for distributing a detailed report on electoral fraud. Hussein Mansour, of the daily paper Al Mithak, and Mohamed al-Othman, of the daily Al Wasat, received anonymous phone threats in October for writing about the scandal.

The government had said in April 2005 that all Internet websites dealing with Bahrain would have to register with the information ministry, but the new rule, which was criticised by Reporters Without Borders, has not been implemented. However, access to many sites and political blogs was barred in October 2006, a month before parliamentary elections. The regime also censored online publications that mentioned Bandargate.
RSF :: 2007 Press Freedom Survey

Filed in: Human Rights

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Press Freedom in KSA « Saudi Jeans | 30 Aug, '07
  1. Bandargate says:

Hmmm this report was issued before the famous arrest and trial of 2 Bahrainis who were accused of holding and distributing publications that are not in favor of the present political process. I wonder what would RSF had said if that incidence was included. Well, we are already painted black anyway. We are in the black region, probably at the middle of the tunnel. Let’s hope a light is soon to be seen at the end of this dark tunnel.

2. Maverick says:

Wonder why the King of Bhutan, the RF of Denmark and certain otehr European countries are much better loved?

They do not enjoy unconditional priveleges and are accountable for their actions and not above the law and can be questioned.

Once this house is in order, and the pricipals of the Grameen Bank as taught by Mohamed Yunus are implemented, then poverty can be eliminated in Bahrain and then crimes will reduce to some extent.

3. Bandargate says:

I wonder if you’ve ever read the constitution of Bahrain Maverick. I encourage you to read it as you might end out having a totally different view! Let me say it clearly: The king of Bahrain is above the law and cannot be questioned.

4. Bandargate says:

I’m sorry Maverick, I didn’t have my coffee today and Bhutan looked like Bahrain lol, my mistake! You’re absolutely right in your view 🙂

5. LuLu says:

Imagine if all bloggers had to really register with the Ministry of information? Oh the joy… :whistle:

It is still scary,though, that this tool can actually be used anytime the political powers that be decide so..

6. Mad man says:

I actually think its an excellent report. All it highlights is the ever infamous Bandargate report. A Sudanese fanatic that dresses like a savage. Got whatever he could from Bahrain, made the most of his stay by sucking up to the government, and now walks about and back-bites to see if he can suck anything else out of his herd of sheep. I wonder what his coming report will be named: “Badergate who cried wolf” perhaps…..

7. hamad says:

Mad Man..

You do nothing but humilate yourself.. i didnt even finish your comment, starting it with “dresses like a savage..” is a sign that whatever follows is pure bull aswell.

unbelievable perspective Mad man… keep ’em comin’.

9. Maverick says:

Bandargate. It’s okay man 🙂 🙂

I follow up on monarchies the world over, what we need to get a perspective about is, that Bahrain is not just ruled by a king but by a family which is an institution in itself.

Why do you have to protest against a fact that a member of that family had to be told by the king not to build his wall inot the sea and affect many families in Budaiya? Why did it have to go to this limit? Did not the family head of RF council know about this from the begining.

And as dear M has pointed out so many times Bandargate (no ref to you ofcourse) ias such a thorny issue, and instead of clearing up their name, they are burying themselves in the sand, head and all.

If Salah Albandar is lying and Ateyatallah is a saint then proclaim it and show us the proof. It is fine that the King is untouchable as he is the head of state and needs that kind of protection and priveledge, but not every single person with the same family name…common… :devil: :angel:

I follow up on monarchies the world over

Why?

maverick, your missing the point completely in regards to the bandar report….ok, so he sucked as much money out of them as possible, and he may be sucking money out of others as well, but do i really give a a monkey bollocks whos money he is sucking? he can suck as much money as he wants from whoever, but the bottom line is, his report has opened up the eyes of many to the corruption we have in bahrain…..he basically confirmed a lot of what we already new…..money grabbing, savage dressed, he can be what he likes, i just hope another money grabbing scrounge does exactly the same thing as wat bandar did just to give light to the world of what exactly is going on in bahrain.

12. hamad says:

Well said anon..

I couldnt care less if he was a monkey with turquoise nipples .. its the message that matters not the messenger.

I completely agree Hamad, and thanks for giving a mental image that will haunt my sleep! :ermm:

14. jasra jedi says:

turquoise nipples

huh?

15. Maverick says:

maverick, your missing the point completely in regards to the bandar report….ok

:wassat:

Anon, Read my message again. I am not missing any point. I firmly believe there is corruption rife in Bahrain. I am witness to it. I am only reiterating what Mahmood and others have pointed out or asked that if the government claims that Salah is guilty and Ateyatallah is innocent then show us the proof. The people deserver to know the truth. I agree that Bandar had his cake and ate it too and I do belive that he opened our eyes to corruption that was being encouraged and flames of religious hatred and bigotry were being stoked. I believe that those persons who were named should be brought to justice and not appointed to

It is not okay to reappoint a minister to his post just because he is a member of your family and you want to show confidence in him. IF yuo want to show confidence in him then let ther be a fair investigation of the facts and a public trial. :angry:

I follow up on monarchies the world over

Why?

Because I am generally interested to know how they operate politically and how they are viewed by their public and to see if they are soon to be a redundant bunch. :tongue: 🙂

monkey with turquoise nipples