My own personal views on how to defeat ISIS or any other form of extremism:
- Separate mosque from state. Put that in the constitution and don’t allow its reversal.
- Critical thinking should be the mandatory teaching methodology.
- Remove all instances of the “tripple-R” syndrome.
- Don’t teach religion in schools. If people want their children to be religiously educated, they should do it themselves. They shouldn’t be allowed to cop-out by delegating that important task to some other entity without their direct involvement and input. Getting Â a cookie cutter version of a religion to be shoved down children’s throats is obviously not the answer. That method failed, quite evidently.
- If religion is to be taught in schools, then teach ALL religions, not just the state religion and don’t allow one to be emphasised as “the true religion” and all others are “bad” or “inauthentic” or whatever derogatory method is used to show how exemplary your religion is by denigrating the others. Encourage healthy debate, even at a young age. They’re just young, not imbeciles. One hardly teaches deep theological issues to six-year olds.
- Introduce real democracy as a method of rule. Yes, I mean one-man one-vote. If you want to call it “Western” then that’s fine be me. It works. Countries adopting it are way ahead of any of ours. Let people have a choice in who they elect to follow and they should be able to peacefully remove them if they fail their duties, or when their terms expire. No one person for life any more please. That didn’t work in the vast majority of cases throughout the ages. Let’s learn from history for once, rather than continue to blindly repeat it.
There you have it. Maybe by adopting these, the next generation willÂ have a better time at integrating as human being with the rest of the world. And they canÂ choose for dialogue as a method of resolving differencesÂ with the others rather than chopping people’s heads off.
Yalla. I’m fed up of waiting.