Freedom of expression is guaranteed for everyone. It is an inalienable right and an integral part of the fundamental freedoms provided for in:
- The United Nations Charter, Chapter IX, Article 55 (c): â€œuniversal respect for, and observance of, human rights and fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion and no discrimination between men and women, and taking these rights and freedoms into serious considerationâ€.
- The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, Article 2: â€œEach State Party to the present Covenant undertakes to respect and to ensure to all individuals within its territory and subject to its jurisdiction the rights recognized in the present Covenant, without distinction of any kind, such as race, color, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, descent, birth or other status.â€
- Moreover, in Article 19 (2): â€œEveryone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice.â€
- The International Declaration of Human Rights, Article 19: â€œEveryone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.â€
- The Constitution of the Kingdom of Bahrain, Chapter III, Article 23 (General Rights and Obligations): â€œFreedom of opinion and scientific research is guaranteed. Everyone has the right to express his opinion and publish it by word of mouth, in writing or otherwise under the rules and conditions laid down by law, provided that the fundamental beliefs of Islamic doctrine are not infringed, the unity of the people is not prejudiced, and discord or sectarianism is not aroused.â€
- The National Action Charter, Chapter I (Fourth: Freedom of expression and publication): â€œEvery citizen shall have the right to express himself orally, in writing or in any other way of expression of personal opinion or creativity. Under this law, freedom of scientific research, publishing, press and printing are ensured within the scope specified by lawâ€, provided it is a responsible freedom within the scope of preserving the social fabric, and does not infringe on the freedoms of others or their religious, sectarian, or intellectual affiliation.
We confirm that the freedom of criticism and monitoring of civil and governmental institutions is an inalienable and indivisible right of websites, forums, and blogs, since websites, forums, and blogs are part of the fourth power, and there is no retraction of the existing freedom ceiling.
We seek to raise the level of dialogue and debate in their democratic scope in all freedom and fairness, away from any instigation based on race, sex, sect, rite, ideology, or thought, committing ourselves to remove any damage.
Through our management, monitoring and supervision of websites, forums, blogs, and participation in said websites, forums and blogs, we strive to serve the country and the citizens by under the freedom plurality based on understanding, discussions, and exchange of opinions without any allusions pertaining to race, sex, sect, rite, ideology, or thought.
We denounce the creation, establishment, or formation of websites, forums, or blogs that incite hatred, whether the entities that created said websites, forums and blogs, are official, civil, or belong to civil society. We also clearly and strictly reject any incitement to hatred, violence, or discrimination against any category. We shall announce our stance that rejects anything promoting division among the members of society given the damage it may cause to the national unity and the country, and we shall take the appropriate measures in this respect, in accordance with the provisions of the Code of Ethicsâ€™ explanatory memorandum.
We emphasize our full commitment to eliminate any violation to this Code that takes place in our websites, forums, and blogs, confirming the national unity and firm determination to prevent any prejudice against any sect or orientation.
We refuse the shutting down of websites, forums, and blogs by virtue of an administrative decision and individual will. We declare that independent courts are the competent authority for taking the relevant decisions, and we will declare our full solidarity with any party that was harmed by measures and decisions that were not taken by the justice.