Say hello to Ella

24 Jan, '07

I’ve upgraded the blog this afternoon to the latest release of WordPress, 2.1, code-named Ella for Ella Fitzgerald. There are many fixes, security enhancements and improvements on the previous release (obviously) and it should also be faster and leaner. I think the actual upgrade went well and as far as I can tell nothing is broken. Mind you, I upgraded all my other sites to this new version first yesterday and tested them before attempting to upgrade the Den.

I’ve also just finished installing the latest release of the theme I’m using, and moved over my modifications from the previous release to this one. You will probably notice the changes in the theme much more than what you would notice in the system itself, which is only natural. I love the small changes and improvements in the theme; for instance: every comment is numbered and the the number of the comment itself is the permanent link to that comment, that is, you can “copy link location” and bookmark it or use that link in your own comment. The comments now are alternately coloured for easier reading, and the “Share This” link now actually works! Try it. There are various other bits and pieces, see if you can identify them.

Most important of all, if you do notice something broken or you think is broken, no matter how small, I would appreciate you letting me know so I can attempt to fix it.

I would like to thank the good folks at WordPress for their excellent efforts, and Sadish for this excellent theme.

Enjoy…

Filed in: General

Sites That Link to this Post

1. BahBlog | 24 Jan, '07
  1. Redbelt says:

Sorry to burst your bubble.
    But my RSS reader (outlook) keeps marking really old posts as unread. and I have to go and unmark them. Guess when this problem started?

2. docspencer says:

Mahmood, the improvements are worth it, but message composition and posting is much slower. I mean huge difference. I did some tests and I think you need to increase server performance. This is a normal outcome with any increase in code and capabilities. I am experiencing this during your afternoon and evening on January 24.

Vic

Redbelt, that is natural and unavoidable unfortunately. You need to mark them all as read just once and that will be okay.

Vic, thank you, I’ll look into it.

4. Maverick says:

The new lookis good and working fine and fast for me.
    Speaking of Ella Fitzgerald, listen to her singing Dancing Cheek to Cheek in the English Patient. It is fantastic. :biggrin:

I know, I’ve got some of her music in my collection and really enjoy listening to her.

Thanks for the feedback as well.

6. jayjerome says:

Mahmood– this is odd. In Mozilla Firefox there aren’t any spaces between the comment numbers and the name of the poster. It looks like this: 5mahmood. And also the number isn’t bolded.

But in IE it looks correct: 5 mahmood (everything bold).

To add to the confusion, I installed Mistylook 3 on my local server (my testing blog), and the numbers in my test comments are speaced properly in both Firefox and IE browsers.

Clear your cache or reload the page and it will be fine. I had the same problem.

8. nurox says:

Alternate coloring for the comments really makes a difference! Soo much easier to read through them, great!

9. Maverick says:

Actually for Mozilla Firefox you have to install the IE tab option and store Mahmood.tv as one of the applicable pages then reload the page and it will work. 🙂

You don’t have to go to all that length Maverick, just hit Ctrl-R a couple of times and that should be it.

11. Ahmed says:

minor minor minor minor typo.

Last line of the post..

Enjoy…
    mtv technical themes upgrade wordpres

there’s an “s” missing for wordpress :whistle: :whistle:

12. jayjerome says:

Mahmood —

If it’s not a state secret, can you reveal which word-press plug-ins you’re using in the Comments section for:

the Smilies
    the Quicktags
    and
    the Spell Checker?

Not at all Jay, I would be glad to! I’ll even share the actual comment.php file for you to have a good look at the changes and where they were placed so you can copy them to your own theme.

That will have to wait for a few hours though, because I’m off to the garden shed for some potting work just now!

oops, thanks Ahmed, I’ll fix that misspelt tag just now.

15. jayjerome says:

Thanks for the offer, Mahmood– I look forward to seeing the php file.

I just looked up the time difference between California and Bahrain… I didn’t realize there’s an eleven hour spread… It’s about 9:30 am here, and 8:30 pm there. My day’s just starting, your’s is finishing.

Here’s a site you might find interesting: from it you can download an analog clock showing local time in Manama

16. jayjerome says:

you must have potted a plant the size of a redwood tree by now, Mahmood–

(reminder — php files)

🙂

I linked both in the original comment showing how you do the changes! Where the hell wast that? Something really weird if that comment just disappeared…

hang on lemme look

The response was under another thread, here’s the full response.

I think I’ll also create a page to log all these changes just in case I need them again in the future!

19. jayjerome says:

Thank you, Mahmood…!!!
    now I’ll probably be up all night, installing. (where’s that coffee pot?)